The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What FLATWOUND strings do you use/prefer?

Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • D'Addario

189 36.42%
  • D'Angelico

2 0.39%
  • DR Strings

7 1.35%
  • Galli

3 0.58%
  • GHS

14 2.70%
  • Pyramid

21 4.05%
  • Rotosound

5 0.96%
  • Thomastic

278 53.56%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 177

User Info Menu

This is a bit of fun and will probably help newbies decide which flatwound strings to choose.

When you've made your choice in the poll, please explain whether you go by feel, quality, or price.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great poll.

D'Addario Chromes are the *only* flatwounds the local music stores carry. (I've recently started ordering strings online and am open to considering other brands.)

My guitar sounds good with them.

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-daddario-chromes-flat-13-jpg

User Info Menu

Sadowski flatwounds are also very good, but I use Thomastik Infeld because the Sadowsky strings I liked best are no longer being made. My choice has nothing to do with price, the tone and durability are more important to me. The Sadowsky strings (no longer available) lasted me over a year most of the time and the TI's are a close 2nd choice. Both had a pleasing tone quality.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 10-04-2013 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Thomastik Infeld.

Attachment 71484

User Info Menu

I picked the D'Addarios. They sound good and last a good amount of time. I used to use only GHS steel flats in .013 gauge but the lower strings were really dull and lifeless especially the low E. It almost sounded like a tuned thud. I tried some TI strings once but I didn't like them not because they weren't good but because I didn't know what decent strings were supposed to sound like. They were a lot brighter than the GHS strings. Now, I regret that decision not to use them. The only way I can get them now is mail order.

User Info Menu

I answered D'Addarios, 'cause that's what I'm currently using; but I want to try some of the TI's, since y'all rave about them so much!

User Info Menu

I've used both D'Addarios and TIs most of the time, but a friend whose opinion I value highly has just raved to me about Pyramids. So even though they're 25 buck at just strings, I'm gonna give them a try.

User Info Menu

i'm currently using thomastiks on all my guitars. They are dark and smokey with a '50s vibe to them. May also try the pyramids...

User Info Menu

Anyone use La Bella?

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-la-bella-guitar-strings-jpg

User Info Menu

Among the variety of flat-wound strings, I would choose the same as I would from among the variety of solid state amps: none.

I can't get over people using flat-wound strings because round-wounds hurt their fingers, an excuse I have had to stomach from faint hearted beginners.

If you want strings that sound dull right out of the box choose flat wounds.

If the weight of your amp means more than tone choose solid state.

Myself, I like a hot sound.

D'Addario Chromes are hard to beat for the money. Thomastik-Infeld are worth the money.

User Info Menu

The main reason I personally use the flatwounds is on my setup, round wounds squeak way too much. My wife is my most trusted critic and she hates the sound of the squeaking coming out of my amp. Unfortunately, at my age, I have to worry about the weight of my amp. I've got way too much arthritis in my lower back and can't lift much over 35 pounds without causing back pain and nerve damage.

User Info Menu

For flatwound, I've generally used TI GB114T, although I keep trying other brands as well.

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-thomastik-infeld-george-benson-14-jpg

User Info Menu

Have been using TI Benson rounds for a while, as I find that they don't squeak anywhere near as much as others, but still have a "live" enough sound. I still prefer the tone of flatwounds overall for most jazz applications and will change back very soon, once this set is done.

Obviously, I need another guitar so that I can keep one for each type/sound.......

User Info Menu

TI 014 flats in my archtop with built in HBs
    TI 014 roundwounds in the one that has a floating HB pickup.

User Info Menu

TI Benson flats 14
    nysh ........
    also TI jazz swings 13
    also nice

For the above pro rounds poster , I use flats to get rid of the dreaded squeeeek not cos round hurt me fingers !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    Anyone use La Bella??
    I thought I already piped up -- must have been in another thread.

Not currently, but I have used La Bella Jazz Tapes for many years. They sound like Guinness Stout!

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-la-bella-jazz-tapes-jpg

User Info Menu

Well it looks like a two horse race! I've tried pyramid flats which were smooth and quality and more expensive than TI's but I always come back to TI flats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Sadowski flatwound are also very good.

wiz
    I voted for TIs, and use them when I forget to order Sadowsky's. They are cheaper and work just as well, in my opinion.

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-sadowsky-flatwound-guitar-strings-jpg

User Info Menu

I am surprised that *only* D'Addarios and TIs have received votes so far. (The tally is 12 of the former and 13 of the latter as I type this.) I'm comfortable with Chromes, but eventually I'm going to have to try the TIs. (Actually, I did once years ago on an Epiphone DOT, but they were suitable for what I was playing so I didn't stick with them. I can't recall how they sounded, though I do remember how they looked and felt.)

User Info Menu

I'm using round-wound these days. I like GHS... I'm going to try GHS bright flats 11's. Might be Goldilocks.

User Info Menu

my first hollowbody, was a gretsch g5 electro... was set up to play with flats open d, not sure what make worked well in that tuning, but when i got my el rey it was strung with rounds, the local music shop only carries fender flats, and those made a great improvement. a recent order to elderly, i purchased some thomastik jazz swings, havent strung up with those yet. price and quality review from elderly, whom i respect made the buy. there are more expensive but will they improve. i'm quite happy with those fenders right now. started leaving extra string wind so i can switch out without wasting, and experiment

User Info Menu

La Bella's 20PH. 15-56
    I raved about these on a previous thread.
    ...If you want clear bass notes..not a "thud" check 'em out.
    I've used them for over 10 years.
    BTW: How come LB's weren't included in your list?...After all,
    I believe they were pioneers in flats for guitar/bass guitar...and probably
    were manufacturing for other brands back in the 60's.......
    Just saying...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    TI Benson flats 14
    nysh ........
    also TI jazz swings 13
    also nice

For the above pro rounds poster , I use flats to get rid of the dreaded squeeeek not cos round hurt me fingers !
    The ubiquitous squeak... Makes me wonder what a violin would sound like with round wounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    The ubiquitous squeak... Makes me wonder what a violin would sound like with round wounds.
    Like a violin that needs some oil.

User Info Menu

I use TI Jazz Swing flats on my Godin Kingpin. I like the sound and feel of them both acoustic and electric. Chromes are good strings, too, and would probably be my second choice. I tried the LaBella tapewounds and absolutely hated the sound I got from them (rubber band on cigar-box), but to each his own.