The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What FLATWOUND strings do you use/prefer?

Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • D'Addario

189 36.42%
  • D'Angelico

2 0.39%
  • DR Strings

7 1.35%
  • Galli

3 0.58%
  • GHS

14 2.70%
  • Pyramid

21 4.05%
  • Rotosound

5 0.96%
  • Thomastic

278 53.56%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 177

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    The sound of them is a kind of 'Thunk' with no sustain.
    Ah, in jazz we have such wonderful freedom. There's no 'authorized' sound or tone like they have over in the classical department. We are free to choose whatever strings we want (provided they are fat and flatwound of course) . That way we will all have our own personal 'thunk'. Or maybe, with my LaBella's, I'll even have a 'thud'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just ordered two sets of T-I Swing flatwounds, 0.010-0.044, to try on my Carvin SH550, mainly to get rid of the squeak ($24 per set). That SH550 has Sperzel locking tuners, and the 6th string (0.044) in both T-I sets broke off in the tuner keys. I didn't put much pressure at all on the lock on the second 6th string before it broke. None of the other thinner gauges broke, even while I was stretching them. I replaced the sixth string with the previously used 6th string from a set of D'Addario round wounds, then took out all of the flatwounds (Amazon had me ship back both complete sets before they'd give me credit), and replaced them with D'Addario round wound 10s, no problem.

User Info Menu

I had ngd today. I never bought a guitar on internet before, so I was astonished to see it was only shipped in it's case and a carton box with no polystyrene peanuts in. I began to adjust it to my taste. It was strung with d'addario, but after second time tune down and up, the 1. string burst. I was not surprised. It has happened for me before, when I tested many different sets to find my favorite, but I never with Thomastik. I can keep them on for long and change them before they burst. Only some of them can sound a little too bright the first week.

User Info Menu

I second that......I can't get away from using them (.014 -.067). I use them for a while, then put on a set of round wounds, and shortly there after go back to the tape wounds. They just have a sound that makes you want to pick up the guitar. Plus I can adjust the neck relief to zero and take the action way down without any fretting out or buzzing. I have them on both of my archtops and always get compliments on the tone. I think the best prices on a set of La Bella Tape Wound strings can be found at Elderly Instruments. The take a little getting used to be it's well worth it.... I'll have another Guinness please.

User Info Menu

I prefer the TI, but I use Chromes because they cast about a third and last almost as long. Tone is good for both. The TIs feel better to me, lower tension.

User Info Menu

The guitar I have now is a custom handmade Archtop - I had it built to similar specs to another one the guy built a couple of years ago. I borrowed the first model for a couple of gigs and recordings. It's a 17" Engelman spruce top with a floating Benedetto S1. The TI GB 13 set sounded terrific on it. It had a few feedback issues so when I ordered mine I had a Benedetto A1 mounted in the top of the guitar. The GB's sounded heavy and diffuse even with the tone cranked up. So on went the D'add Chromes - havent looked back. Interesting

NB - I have to change them every month but that's cool - they aren't expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thomastik Infeld.
    Agreed. Got thirteens on all of mine. They just seem to last and last.

User Info Menu

TI Benson 0.14s. Love 'em. Don't know what it is, but they just feel great.

User Info Menu

And finally, after lots of working through different strings, I'm back where I started on the Epi JP - TI Swings, 12-52. The week that I took it to the Workshop band, I had someone walk up and tell me how good I was sounding. Felt like coming home for that guitar. At £10 for Chromes, or £14 for Swings (£15 or so for Pyramids?), I like the tone of the TI's enough to shell out the few quid extra.

With the Vestax/D'Angelico, I'm currently on Newtone Archtops and quite pleased. Different guitar, different sound. Long term review to follow sometime.

Just got some D'ADDARIO Chromes, yet to fit them. :-)

User Info Menu

I have been using GHS 1800 Nickel Compound for 30 years. They need to be changed every 10 days or so but they really sound great on my Trenier Arch Tops.

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-ghs-cp-1800-strings-jpg

User Info Menu

I use Thomastik primarily. Usually swing 13s, but occasionally I go for the GB14s. The basses have a great earthy tone.

D'Addario chromed are a steal, and I find the basses a bit brighter.

For my semi, I go with DA half rounds. I use this for more fusion and modal stuff.

I'd like to try the pyramids and la Bella's though.

User Info Menu

Heh, since this poll has first been around, I've switched from D'Addarios to TIs (JS113)

User Info Menu

I use Chromes on my X-500, but wound strings work best on my Artist Award. I have tried Thomastik flats, and they are nice, but for me they are no better than Chromes yet cost much more. I also currently have Chromes on my Aristocrat, and they sound great! I ordered nickel wounds to try, but love how the flats work, so I may stay flat for a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I use Chromes on my X-500, but wound strings work best on my Artist Award. I have tried Thomastik flats, and they are nice, but for me they are no better than Chromes yet cost much more. I also currently have Chromes on my Aristocrat, and they sound great! I ordered nickel wounds to try, but love how the flats work, so I may stay flat for a while.
    Update:

The D'Addario nickel wound 11-52's came in, and I immediately put them on my Aristocrat. Within an hour Chromes were back on as they were infinitely better on that guitar. That was not at all what I had expected, but not only are the Chromes very good on my Aristocrat for jazz, but they are even better for blues and rock.

User Info Menu

TI flats, 11s, for me, but I'm also partial to LaBella Tape Wound - on the right guitar they can sound great, and are worth a try.

User Info Menu

Been playing D'addario Chromes for many years now.

User Info Menu

TI Swing 13s.

User Info Menu

It is interesting that the TIs and DAs still dominate this poll almost 50/50 after several years. I personally can't wait to get rid of the DAs on any new guitar I get while an equally committed group love the DAs and could not image paying the price for the TIs. I don't think the DAs aficionados are simply cheap because I know some that can play really well. It just seems that there would be more commonality among people who play similar music on similar guitars.

User Info Menu

Chromes. I tried TI's...they were great too, but not better, and waaaay more expensive.

User Info Menu

Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing. No other flatwounds feel like Thomastik flatwounds. I read somewhere that Thomastik uses a thinner width ribbon wrap. Thinner ribbon means more windings per inch and it's more windings per inch that give Thomastik flatwounds that unique feel - highly polished and smooth yet with a subtle "grip" under your fingers. I love that feel.

They're hybrid acoustic/electric. They sound good enough for practice on an acoustic archtop, not as loud or bright as phosphor bronze with fewer harmonics and overtones, but they sound fantastic amplified. They're the jazz guitar reference standard string, IMO.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the string ideas. Just got my first archtop and they came with light rounds. I'm going to try d'addarios. Mainly because of price and availability. If I don't like them I will try the TI s. My daughter uses them on her violin!!

User Info Menu

If Thomastik offered more "conventional" gauging, their Jazz Medium Swings would probably be my strings of choice. As it stands, it seems my fingers are so used to the uneven string tension found in practically all other known sets, whether Jazz or acoustic, I'm going to have to give th TIs a miss. Those wounds (except the 6th), however cleverly balanced they may be, just feel too loose.

So, back to Chromes and swapping out the 1st and 2nd strings and get on with my playing. BTW, D'Addario, when are you going to offer a 13-52/54 set as standard? (13-56 is overkill in many cases).

Anyone tried the La Bella steel flats recently? I read some quality issues.

User Info Menu

Agree that it would be a good thing if D'Adarrio would do a 13-52 set of chromes.

I get a bit irrtated at having to routinely buy spare 13's and 17's every time I stock up
    on strings.
    Still, it's a first world problem...I can cope OK.
    ....Gotta give DA a little credit for fixing up the rough wound 3rds in that set.
    Still not perfect but improved upon the situation a few months back.

Re La Bella ....I was a huge fan of their steel flats and was among a few guys who complained
    when the alloys or whatever were changed.
    The LB customer help person tried to help....sent free samples....was adamant that they were
    using the same materials which was patently bullshit.

Just to look at, the new strings were dull where they had been high gloss previously... the 15 years or so
    I'd used them. And the silks were a light blue instead of the royal blue of before.
    I showed 2 sets, the new and the old to my wife ...a civilian...and she saw the difference immediately.

Ultimately I got tired of trying to get them to admit that the strings had changed appreciably in sound and
    that there were these indicators that you didn't even have to bother putting them on a guitar to confirm.
    The line I got was that their professional artists in New York declared that the strings were still great.
    I was contacted by PM on here so others were finding the same thing.
    OK I'm just a working stiff...not one of "the guys" ...but I can't stand BS.

Sorry about the rant ....bound to close out the thread ....in my inimitable way ...ha ha

Strings and picks are a big deal to me ....my signal chain = idea - pick/fingers - strings - lead - amp.

User Info Menu

Yep....wimp that I am I use Flatwounds (D'Addario) and solid state amps.

I turn 69 tomorrow and have been playing guitar for 59 years and bass guitar for 5 years.
    Never did have a roady to carry my amps or axes! After a fall on the ice two years ago I ruptured a bicep tendon and have enough of a problem carrying a guitar and an amp anywhere.

Oh well....there is always the harmonica!

Wait...that requires healthy lungs...maybe a tambourine.