The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

I never ended up trying one (beyond a demo in a store) after reading jzucker's comments in this thread.

Cheers

Dave

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    tried another one. Same deal, way too much bass. They're designed for nu-metal players. 'nuff said.
    As a bassist, I have been using GK amps for years, although not this model. The MB (micro bass) series have always been popular with upright bassists and many of them use the MB200 or MB500.

I never thought of these amps as being designed for nu-metal players. It just doesn't seem to have any desirable features for metal guitar.

Can anyone here explain why or how these amps were made for nu-metal players and not geared toward upright bass players?

User Info Menu

I used the MB200 to record my latest song. Went directly from the amp to my sound card (m-audio Delta 44). I was pleased with the results. Here's the link: David

The song is "Little Gypsy".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by david-guitar
    I used the MB200 to record my latest song. Went directly from the amp to my sound card (m-audio Delta 44). I was pleased with the results. Here's the link: David

The song is "Little Gypsy".
    I had to click around your site a bit before I could find the link to Little Gypsy, but tone sounds pretty good to me.

I'm thinking this would be a great backup for me since it's so easy to tote around or leave in the car for that matter.

User Info Menu

Just a note for those who find it too bassy in the preamp, there is an "aux in" so you can use the power amp stage with your favorite preamp or modeler.

User Info Menu

a better choice though not quite as small would be the Markbass F100.

I'm getting an Evans AH200 head soon. I'll do a demo when I get it. The henriksen is good too but most of the jazz amps are a bit on the dark side though not as boomy/muddy as the GK.
    I believe I have found the answer to an affordable jazz guitar amp.I do product developement for many companies and was asked to test an L.R.Baggs venue preamp.This unit was intended for piezo equipped flat tops,but as I found,is excellent for jazz guitar.First you must have an amp with a good power section and full range speaker.I plug the Venue directly in to the power amp section via the return jack of the effects loop.This eliminates your amp's preamp having any control.All tonal tweeks are done via the Venue preamp.The venue has it's own effects loop.It has all the controls you could ask for.Gain,volume,variable boost,two parametric mid controls,bass,treble,sweepable feedback notch filter,and a tuner.I do not want to list everything,but suggest you google L.R.Baggs to see the manufacturer's specs. By Using this pre amp you can keep your existing amp for rock gigs with your solid body,and not have to buy a seperate amp for your archtop.I have not tried it for a flat top because I don't have one,but certainly solved my amp selection budget.I do have an older Jazzkat,but like this setup much better.

User Info Menu

i think the fishman loudbox is excellent as well. Takes pedals too.

User Info Menu

i think the fishman loudbox is excellent as well. Takes pedals too.
    The Loudbox IS great,as are many other jazz and acoustic amps on the market.Some day I'll be rich enough to hunt down an Emrad or a Benson.Until then I must deal with my bank account.I was suggesting the Venue only as an inexpensive alternative to purchasing an additional jazz amp for those that already have a good amp for their solidbodies.I was testing this for a distributor (WD MUSIC),and they sell these for $299.A lot less of a strain on my budget than my Jazzkat.

User Info Menu

I found an interesting post in another forum about the MB200 and the settings for a flat EQ, in which the poster hooked the MB200 head up to an analyzer. The thread is here: GK MB200 "flat" settings - TalkBass Forums

For those who don't want to read it, his findings were:
    Contour = Off
    Treble = 10:00
    Hi Mid = 2:00
    Low Mid = 1:00
    Bass = 10:00

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    I found an interesting post in another forum about the MB200 and the settings for a flat EQ, in which the poster hooked the MB200 head up to an analyzer. The thread is here: GK MB200 "flat" settings - TalkBass Forums

For those who don't want to read it, his findings were:
    Contour = Off
    Treble = 10:00
    Hi Mid = 2:00
    Low Mid = 1:00
    Bass = 10:00
    That's irrelevant for guitar because a flat response on a graph is perceived as muddy and middy to our ears. What we think of as flat response (early Pat Martino perhaps) is far from flat. When you hear amps like the clarus and markbass amps, they are achieving close to what would be a flat response and they sound dark and muddy to many.

A fender twin - which martino used in the early ands - and which to me is the most beautiful sounding jazz amp in the world - is very far from flat.

By the way, I had contour and bass all the way off on the MB200 I owned and it was so bottom heavy it was unusable for jazz guitar IMO.

But...Something tells me you won't believe it until you try it. So buy a used one for $150-$175 and decide for yourself. Should be easy to sell if you don't like it.
    Last edited by jzucker; 10-13-2011 at 07:07 PM.

User Info Menu

That's irrelevant for guitar because a flat response on a graph is perceived as muddy and middy to our ears. What we think of as flat response (early Pat Martino perhaps) is far from flat. When you hear amps like the clarus and markbass amps, they are achieving close to what would be a flat response and they sound dark and muddy to many.

A fender twin - which martino used in the early ands - and which to me is the most beautiful sounding jazz amp in the world - is very far from flat.

By the way, I had contour and bass all the way off on the MB200 I owned and it was so bottom heavy it was unusable for jazz guitar IMO.

But...Something tells me you won't believe it until you try it. So buy a used one for $150-$175 and decide for yourself. Should be easy to sell if you don't like it.
    I was just sharing information I stumbled upon. Hope you didn't take offense to it or take it personal for some reason, which wasn't my intention at all...just simply sharing info, opinions, etc. I trust your opinion as a jazz guitarist much more than a bassist who uses it in a completely different context.

A Fender tube amp is my favorite jazz tone as well and is what I use these days for my jazz and rock gigs. So I was only curious with the MB200 as a backup (that I'd hopefully very rarely have to use - because that'd mean my main amp broke down during a gig). But you've convinced me to look elsewhere anyway, so I appreciate your opinions, info, and time.

User Info Menu

no, i didn't take offense. I was just pokin' you.

I want that amp to be great because its one of the few amps you could put in the gig bag pocket of your guitar as a spare.

User Info Menu

no, i didn't take offense. I was just pokin' you.

I want that amp to be great because its one of the few amps you could put in the gig bag pocket of your guitar as a spare.
    Cool.

Did you see Henriksen is making a new head? Maybe that would fit the bill, although it won't be nearly as inexpensive...very possibly above my budget for a backup. Their site says "new model coming out late 2011": Henriksen Guitar Amplifier: compact, solid state, small, inexpensive, powerful guitar amplifier. I haven't had a opportunity to play through a Henriksen yet, but would like to.

User Info Menu

I think as a backup the MB200 would be a good choice. Especially because of the size. I may pickup another one. I would hate to use it but it's better than lugging a full size amp as a backup. The henriksen looks cool.

User Info Menu

I A/B'ed the MB200 with my Polytone MBII yesterday (Strat Deluxe with a 13-54 round set tone full on, volume at 70%). I put the Polytone on full treble cut position and everything else at noon o'clock. I also used the preamp of the MB200 all set at noon. To my ears, MB200 did not sound muddier, thumpier or bassier than the Polytone. At the same loudness, MB200 had less hum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Just a note for those who find it too bassy in the preamp, there is an "aux in" so you can use the power amp stage with your favorite preamp or modeler.
    If you use the "aux in", does the volume control on the MB200 still control the output? Or is the volume controlled only by whatever device you plugin into the "aux in"? I read it was the latter. If so, I wish it had a real line in like it appears the MB500 does.

User Info Menu

I think it is the latter. I only used it with a preamp pedal (Damage Control Womanizer) which was satisfactory. Same with connecting to a CD or MP3 player. I have their MBE115 cab which has a switchable horn which helps when I play backing tracks through the same amp.

User Info Menu

I made a possibly grave error of inputting my CD player's output into the Line Out jack and killed this amp. So it is either repair or get a better one (head) without spending more than $ 500. My goal is to play bass or guitar at home and possibly use it for jamming with friends (no gigs expected for a long long time). Any suggestions ?