The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Sooner or later I will be looking for an archtop to add to my collection. What am really after is a Gibson L-5 but I won't have that money anytime soon being a student.

So can you guys recommend a archtop with very similar dimensions and feel to the Gibson L-5.

I have been looking at Peerless Jazz City for the future but the pickup could be closer to the neck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my opinion, I feel that the (discontinued) Wasburn J6 Montgomery guitar is an excellent jazz box if you're looking for a L-5 type instrument. They are only available as a used guitar because they have been out of production for several years so they're hard to find. The new Washburns do not sound the same as the origional J6.

Be sure to get a nice case with anything you buy!

Oh wow thanks for that. it looks like washburn made a nice copy!

User Info Menu

Check out a Heritage Golden Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Check out a Heritage Golden Eagle.
    They seem real nice
    Heritage Guitar, Inc. of Kalamazoo - Golden Eagle

How much do they cost?

I could probably save about £1300

User Info Menu

That Washburn looks nice. Does it have a solid carved spruce top?

User Info Menu

What kind of L5? What kind of budget?

An exact copy of the original L5 on a $900 budget: Loar LH-700 (or 600, or 350)?
    The Loar

User Info Menu

The Samick JZ4 is a great instrument. Plays really well, sounds good, looks great. It's my main axe (until I can afford an L5, too).

Better Guitar - Review of the Samick LaSalle JZ 4 electric jazz guitar.

I paid $850.00 new for mine.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Am just weighing up the competition potential purchase in the future. Am looking for a electric archtop with a cutaway but thanks for the link Spiral.

My budget /would be £1200 max

*note to self am going to be saving for some years*

User Info Menu

You mention similar dimensions and feel to an L5.

What about an Epiphone Broadway or an Ibanez AF105NT? Good start for an archtop for noodling about. The frets and fretboard of the Ibanez AF105NT are very nice.

There is also the Ibanez SJ500 which is really close to an L5: it has a pressed solid spruce top, Venetian cutaway, measures about 17" in the lower bout, 80mm rim depth. It is only available from Japan if you're willing to try that route. Your GBP1200 is sufficient to buy it and land it although I don't know how much tax you have to pay. I have one too and it is really nice and woody sounding although the violin finish is too glossy for my liking. Has a nice acoustic tone and a great fretboard with nicely finished frets. The stock humbuckers are good so I don't think you need to replace those.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/pag...&series_id=255

Made In China, though. If that bothers you, well....

I would also recommend a Heritage Golden Eagle but that one may bust your budget.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-13-2011 at 10:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AZanshin
    They seem real nice

How much do they cost?

I can't speak for cost of a Golden Eagle, but Heritage I can vouch for. VERY nice guitars.

Call these guys: (http://www.wolfeguitars.com/index2.php). VERY helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AZanshin
    They seem real nice

How much do they cost?

They are around $6000 you didn't state a budget. For the money you're talked there are a number of good guitars already mentioned in previous posts. Also used Eastman's can be had for around $1000 and that will get you a solid top guitar.

User Info Menu

You don't mention how much you are prepared to pay, but it's actually possible to have a handmade guitar made by a luthier at a price much below what you will have to pay for a Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery model. Two luthiers - both highly respected and very experienced - who has chosen not to let their prices rise to astronomical heigths come to mind here:

Jim Triggs and his son Ryan makes their San Salvador model (as well as D'Angelico and Stromberg copies + many mandolins for the bluegrass people) which is close to a Gibson L5. Jim actually made L5s and Super 400s back in the 1980-90s when he was one of the luthiers in charge of the Gibson custom shop, and his instruments are rooted in the Gibson tradition. Since each guitar is handmade by Jim and Ryan, and since they are very accomodating to customer wishes, you can have them build the guitar almost as you want it. Custom wishes may not mean a big difference to the price, since it may not be more expensive to apply a finish differently or use a different tailpiece etc. The only downside is that you have to wait a while he builds the guitar (last year the wait was about 6 months). He will, however, e-mail you photos of the building process as it progresses.

TriggsGuitars.Com Triggs Guitars

Mark Campellone is another very respected maker who is also firmly rooted in the Gibson tradition. As opposed to Jim Triggs, Mark Campellone sticks to his model designs and doesn't offer customizing. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with his model styling - his instruments are beautiful - so it's not a problem at all.

Welcome to Campellone Guitars

User Info Menu

He did mention GBP1200 max.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    or at today's RoE, USD 1,929.32. Doesn't get near a Triggs or Campellone.

Heritage - can work out a little expensive over here, though this looks OK? If I were buying a guitar right now.......

Heritage H-575 archtop guitar on eBay (end time 16-Mar-11 20:21:58 GMT)

or maybe

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-ANGELICO-EXC...item4aa963aa08

Anyway, A-man, at least you got yourself a nice amp to play it through.....
    Last edited by mangotango; 03-14-2011 at 09:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    OK, sorry, missed that.

User Info Menu

You might be able to find a Guild A500 or A350 in your budget, but you would have to add a floating pickup. They are both carved tops, but out of production for quite some time. More recently, the X-700 is a carved top with two pickups and I've seen them occasionally for only a little over your range, however that doesn't factor in shipping and import duties to the UK.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Yea those guitars are super expensive in to 4k

User Info Menu

sry, hadnt seen this was a bumped old thread ..
    Last edited by waltf; 08-21-2020 at 09:41 AM.

User Info Menu

You guys know this thread is 9 years old, right?

User Info Menu

Wow this jazz box it looks awesome and sounds better.Very nice choice under $600 probably the best.Also J7 looks good.Not shure though about the build or Spruce top solid.Not a fan of Leminated

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    You guys know this thread is 9 years old, right?
    Haha no, actually I hadn't seen that. Woops.

User Info Menu

I guess show must go on,nothing wrong with it,just contact hehe

User Info Menu

Thanks for input, Heritages sound lovely indeed:

Many Archtop guitars sound "too acoustic" (incl. Campellone), but the Heritages sound similar warm as L5 but with a different touch. I love acoustic guitars (have 2 of them), but exactly because of this I am searching for a very different sound.

User Info Menu

Production scale American guitars similar to the L-5 include the Heritage Golden Eagle and Guild X-700. All of these are fine instruments.