The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Those guitars look great... I already have two excellent archtops but one of these or a Moffa would be awesome - I don't have any solid one!
    I want one Moffa myself, but I am so impatient and to hell with the gathering money part. lol.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Schottmüller Guitars

This one Mike?
    Lage still plays his Jim Hall and the SS-15. He has also been playing a Riviera-era slightly blackfaced Concert with a Celestion Black Shadow. Since then he's got his hands on a Gibson GA-50 from late -40's that loves and says it the best ever.
    On Saturday he used his new Schottmüller. I did play it and it reminded me about his Sadowsky SS-15, but more direct and with a little more "umph". I guess more semi-hollow than archtop. It also has a bolt-on neck. Looks like Maria likes it to... The Jazz Standard yesterday!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JanLF
    Lage still plays his Jim Hall and the SS-15. He has also been playing a Riviera-era slightly blackfaced Concert with a Celestion Black Shadow. Since then he's got his hands on a Gibson GA-50 from late -40's that loves and says it the best ever.
    On Saturday he used his new Schottmüller. I did play it and it reminded me about his Sadowsky SS-15, but more direct and with a little more "umph". I guess more semi-hollow than archtop. It also has a bolt-on neck. Looks like Maria likes it to... The Jazz Standard yesterday!
    Jan thanks so much for the info. I will be in New York nest summer for a while, maybe we'll meet Hope to get to know Lage, he's incredible. Would love to hear him with Maria...

That's a nice update on his guitars. It seems modern guys are going for thin 335-type archtops these days.. the best of both worlds

I knew he had that Rivera (and a Mega Brute I think), didn't know he had it blackfaced - I thought he had put a Baxandall Polytone eq in there... he sounds very Polytone-like on records. Good info on the speakers, someone had already told me that. I bet he loves that GA-40, he's going after Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Lage as many other jazz guitarists has a small graveyard of Polytones :-) And by the way Jorgemg - I live in Norway, not NYC.

User Info Menu

So that's why you know so much about Lage

User Info Menu

So that's why you know so much about Lage
    Hehe, no not really. Basically we went to Berklee at the same time and since them kind of had some contact now and then

Jan

User Info Menu

Hehe, that's cool. Well, he somehow wasn't too happy with it. To bright and something else... Don't remember what he said. I did play it once and thought nothing special about it, but it was just a backstage hang, so I guess an amp would make a difference. They seem hard to find these days though.

User Info Menu

There's a class floating around on the Internet where he says the guitar only sounded good with Polytones and nothing else. I think a pickup swap could have fixed that...

Any info about the picks he's using ? Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Brutinel
    Any info about the picks he's using ? Thanks
    Well, in the Westville the pickup shuld be a Kent Armstrong PAF-O AlnicoV, but I'm not sure if Lage already replaced it or not.
    For the Schottmüllers I have no clue.
    I'm curious now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C.
    Well, in the Westville the pickup shuld be a Kent Armstrong PAF-O AlnicoV, but I'm not sure if Lage already replaced it or not.
    For the Schottmüllers I have no clue.
    I'm curious now too.
    I was asking for the pick ( plectrum ) he's using not for the pickup.
    But it's also good to know

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Brutinel
    I was asking for the pick ( plectrum ) he's using not for the pickup.
    But it's also good to know
    Oh, yes! My bad.

I remember reading somewhere that he was using dAndrea Pro Plecs, not sure about the shape.