The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 107

User Info Menu

I also play uke, and I've got a few: archtop tenor, 8-string, pineapple soprano, mahogany concert, etc. Heck, (self-promotion ahead) I was even featured in Issue 14 of Ukulele Player Magazine.

Lyle Ritz put out a swinging session in 1958 called How About Uke? -- and it's a great disc.

Couple of tracks in here:

Polkadots & Moonbeams, Moonlight in Vermont from his '59 album, 50th State Jazz.

One of the things I've noticed in the uke community is the widespread enjoyment of chord-melody solo arrangements. So many uke players work those old standards up.

So ... got uke?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Stack,

That is great! And much respect regarding the interview. You've got a great attitude towards the business. The "Don Ho Down". Hah!

I enjoyed all of it, but that first tune with the hard swing, the flute, that real 1950s sound; love it. I immediately went and looked for the CD on Amazon; the MP3 downloads are much less expensive than the CDs, which are all used:

Amazon.com: How About Uke: Lyle Ritz: MP3 Downloads

Personnel: Lyle Ritz (ukulele); Don Shelton (flute); Red Mitchell (bass); Gene Estes (drums)

Now I know why I love the bass on this. Red Mitchell.

Uke is something I'd like to get into in addition to guitar. My Mom had a baritone uke which I think is the same tuning as the top 4 strings of the guitar, the D-G-B-E. I believe those were popularized by Arthur Godfrey and if I'm to understand correctly they are not really a traditional uke, a tenor is. I really need to learn more about it. I do play a bit of mandolin, also an instrument which I feel is underrepresented in jazz though it is much more prevalent than uke. Great to hear Lyle really swing out on it.

I have a couple of friends who are in uke clubs and they really love it; they play everything from the Beatles to old Standards, one guy does AC/DC stuff on it. No jazzers though.
    Last edited by paynow; 02-25-2011 at 08:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Just found something else:

Bassist Lyle Ritz: Father of Jazz Ukulele : NPR

He uses "Garage Band"!

User Info Menu

My first uke was a super cheapo bari and I didn't really take to it, though lately I've been hankering for a decent one. I'm getting ready to string up my tenor uke with some new strings with the tuning dGBe. It may lower the volume a bit, but I'm looking forward to hearing what it sounds like.

The one big advantage that bari has is when I'm reading music. I really have to do the transcribing shuffle when playing gCEa-tuned uke. Not a problem when just playing instrumentals, but when I'm singing I have to transpose everything and it gets a litte wearisome.
    Last edited by Stackabones; 02-26-2011 at 01:10 AM.

User Info Menu

He's 103!

User Info Menu

103!!! Wow!

User Info Menu

This has got to be the coolest. Both players are incredible. I love it when jazz is played on non traditional jazz instruments.

User Info Menu

Here's a shameless commerce plug for a friend of mine:

You guys familiar with Kepasa ukes? Handmade one at a time right here in Middlesex Vt. by a fellow named Kevin Crossett. Here's his "Gypsy Rose" inspired by the old Selmer Maccaferri gypsy guitars...

Not your garden variety uke; worth a looksee.
    Last edited by TheCaffeinatedOne; 02-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice! I've always wondered if someone made something like that. I have a D-hole git and that needs a lil brother!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing. Never hard of Lyle Ritz until now. Great stuff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bahama
    Thanks for sharing. Never hard of Lyle Ritz until now. Great stuff

Noticed that you have steel drums in your link. That's you, right? Though uke isn't a Caribbean instrument, I find that it really works for so many of those tunes, especially calypso. Are you hip to mento?

User Info Menu

I've been playing uke for a while now too. I've found it really easy to use as a lead instrument and have learned a lot more there than on guitar. Plus, it's a good instrument to throw in the back of the car when I'm on a road trip and don't have space for a guitar (which happens more than I want to admit).

I've taken Jimmy Bruno's five shapes and applied it tot he fretboard on ukulele and it really freed up my mind to where I can improvise and pick out melodies much easier. I also try tunes that I'm working on for guitar on my uke. Doing so makes me think beyond just shapes on the guitar and I learn the tunes musically. It has been a great help.

~DB

User Info Menu

That's a cool approach. Which uke size are you using and which tuning? I'm not completely familiar with Bruno's approach, but I'd guess that it works well with a tenor in low-G tuning or a bari?

User Info Menu

Hey Stackabones, yea that is me. I played a bit of uke on some of my own stuff and on a some new tracks of a friend of mine. Agree with you that it does sound well on Caribbean music. Something about the sound of a uke that goes well with so many styles. Not heard of Mento

User Info Menu

Bones,

Currently, I'm using a Kala Mahogany Tenor with a wound low G and C string (Hilo strings). It has a great tone for a $200 instrument and I find myself noodling more on that than the guitar sometimes.

I've got my eye on a banjolele for this spring. I play a lot with bluegrass players and I need a banjo "sound" for a show I'll be in this summer. So, it makes sense for to get another one in the house. I've also got a concert and a few sopranos lying around the house. But I keep them tuned with the high G.

I really like playing Django style gypsy tunes on it solo. But I haven't gotten brave enough to post anything like that.

~DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bahama
    Hey Stackabones, yea that is me. I played a bit of uke on some of my own stuff and on a some new tracks of a friend of mine. Agree with you that it does sound well on Caribbean music. Something about the sound of a uke that goes well with so many styles. Not heard of Mento
    Best place to start ...
    Mento Music: What is Mento Music?

btw, almost everything off Harry Belafonte's Calypso is mento -- so you probably already know mento even though you don't know what mento is.

Quote Originally Posted by lindydanny
    Bones,

Currently, I'm using a Kala Mahogany Tenor with a wound low G and C string (Hilo strings). It has a great tone for a $200 instrument and I find myself noodling more on that than the guitar sometimes.

I've got my eye on a banjolele for this spring. I play a lot with bluegrass players and I need a banjo "sound" for a show I'll be in this summer. So, it makes sense for to get another one in the house. I've also got a concert and a few sopranos lying around the house. But I keep them tuned with the high G.

I really like playing Django style gypsy tunes on it solo. But I haven't gotten brave enough to post anything like that.

~DB
    Yeah, I've got a Kala Mahogany Archtop that I really dig. Not a real trad uke sound, but the look is definitely distinctive. Kala makes some good ukes. Gypsy jazz on a uke is a killer idea. Post when you can.

Here's the archie on a decidedly non-jazz tune.

User Info Menu

btw I am very close to getting a new a concert uke. My old bari uke is okay but baris to me just don't have that "uke"sound. Anyone check out the new spalted mango wood ones that are out? They obv look great but haven't played or heard one up close yet.

User Info Menu

Have you checked into just restringing that bari to make it re-entrant? Just swap out that D string for a B or an E string and it should work. Not sure about the nut, but it could still work. I actually did this on a six-string steel string so that it was tuned EAdGBe. I didn't have to do anything to the nut at all.

You also may want to do a search for Aquila strings. I think they have strings available the hi-G tuning on bari.

Of course I understand you wanting to get a new uke! Tell me more about the spalted mango. Kala? Lanikai?

User Info Menu

I've seen a couple of them of various makes at my local uke club. They sound pretty good. I'm always wary of going solid wood on anything, though. Kansas City temps and moisture varies just too much for my comfort zone...

~DB

User Info Menu

My Bari's neck is fairly warped and the intonation is pretty bad once you start getting much higher than the 5th fret or so.

The mango one I was looking at was a Lanikai and goes for like $350ish online

User Info Menu

Yeah, sounds like that bari is a solid candidate for the some slide baritone uke action.

Lanakai makes some good ukes. Have you made your final decision, yet?

User Info Menu

Just another one. Why, it may not be officially "jazz", I think it is definitely in the spirit of Gypsy Jazz.

~DB

User Info Menu

@Stack-I'd really like to get the Lani Mango one but I would like to try a few out first. Problem with buying OL is that like with gtrs,mandos,banjos etc each uke is likely to sound and feel a bit different. Gonna look around. Will let you know how it goes.

@lindy That clip was fun to listen/watch. Thanks
    Last edited by bahama; 03-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

User Info Menu

i picked up my first uke 4-5 years ago a jenny bushman soprano, recently purchased a makai concert with a d hole on the bass bout. i don't pick it up often but have noticed it helps my guitar playing. actually started getting jazzy sounds from playing it which inspired me to get into learning, noodling jazz guitar, research found me this site and here i am with an eastman erf. love the sound of jazz guitar above all over genres. ukes are great and relatively inexpensive. if in nyc in spring, check out the ny uke fest

ps also a great sized instrument to travel with

User Info Menu

Nice to see ukers here. I have played them for years. I have a soprano, concert and tenor. I use Aquila's on them but I picked up a set of D'Addario's (like Jake uses) for the tenor (my go-to uke). Haven't tried them yet, they look like they might be a bit stiff.

Someone mentioned solid wood tops and worrying about humidity. I live in a really humid part of the country and no problems over the years, and I keep my instruments on stands, not in cases. So, might give it a go.

Kala has some nice mango ukes, I played a few last summer in Honolulu. If you do decide to go mail order, I highly recommend Music Guy Mic on eBay. He also has a store in Kaneohe (I recommend going there, too); he is an excellent guy and the setups he does on ukes sent by mail is excellent. He sets the action, dresses the frets, installs Aquilias, etc. Good deal, I don't use anyone else for ukes anymore. No relation, just a very happy customer.

A good uke resource for folks just getting into the instrument is ukuleleunderground.com - Aldrian has a lot of free lessons posted there. good stuff.