The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 150

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I'm looking to get into an archtop and have been looking at the Eastman AR810CE. If anyone has experience playing this model, or even Eastmans in general. I'm wondering:

-Have you been happy with the sound, fit and finish? Has it held up well?

-Any recent problems with the tailpiece? I know there was a thread on the forum a little while ago and a couple of members had had issues, I'm hoping Eastman has fixed this.

I've been playing jazz guitar for 15 years, but this would be my first archtop (I'm settled on getting an archtop, just narrowing it down now). Thanks for any input from members who've played this box.

Eastman AR810CE-eastman-ar810ce-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my opinion, the Eastmans varied quite a bit from one to the next for the first year+, both in terms of fit/finish and sound. But after that (say later '06 and after) things smoothed out quite a bit.

I like the AR810 and 805 quite a bit.

The lacquer is traditional nitro without a lot of additives to make it more flexible. So you might have some checking around the neck joint after a season or two - just like on any other lacquer finished instrument.

The tailpiece is old stuff from when they first got into the guitar business. I have not heard that it is a current issue at all.

I suggest giving the 805 a good ride as well. Great sound from this very comfortable 16" size.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of Eastmans and think they're exceptional guitars for the money. Below is a link of a 'for sale' video I made with an 810. The video may give you some impression of the instrument. The first part is consists of its acoustic sound and the second part is a recording of it amplified using a ZT Lunchbox and an RV3 reverb pedal.

The reason it was for sale was that I was trying to get the cash to buy a Dupont gypsy guitar. Subsequently I decided I wasn't a gypsy stylist and decided to keep the Eastman. I still enjoy its unique sound today.

User Info Menu

I own two Eastmans, an 805 as well as a Thinline. I've had the 805 for several years now, have played it almost daily during that time, and it has held up very well.

Acoustically it's very mellow, with that distinctive archtop sound. Plugged in, it sounds great: full of resonance that one gets from a solid body guitar, particularly with a spruce top.

The only caveat is that you should make sure you want an archtop that plays well acoustically, which means that it will still have some of that acoustic sound even when plugged in.

I started a thread elsewhere in this section about "looking for a certain sound" in which I noted that sometimes the 805 sounded more acoustic than I wanted when plugged in to my Polytone, a solid state amp.

Moving to a tube amp helped, as did getting the Thinline, which has built-in humbuckers (as opposed to floating). One isn't better than another, but they are clearly different, and you want to figure out which one you want before dropping between $1,000-1500 on a guitar.

User Info Menu

I purchased an AR810 from Bernunzio music. The strings seemed rather thin. I asked them what they used and they said they weren't sure but they usually shipped them with D'addario 12s. So I changed to those and really don't like them. They sound pretty good but there is more string noise than any other set I have ever used. These are the EJ22 set. They are also very stiff even a month later.

I have several sets of D'addario Chromes 11s, TI 10s and 11s. I don't think these will sound good acousticly. What suggestions do you wise men have for me?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have been using thomastik bebop .14s lately in my 805 and like them, warm and full.

User Info Menu

To me the nicest sounding stringsfor jazz are Thomastik Infeld Bebop 12 or even thicker. I've been trying different strings a lot and a number of times it happened that the "ah, that's right" feeling came right after putting TI's on. d'Addario pure nickel strings are also nice IMHO.

.... But I am not a wise man :-) , have never had an Eastman in my hands ... And there are many much better and more experienced players than me around here.

User Info Menu

I like TI George Bensons -- 13s. (I think they have a bit better sound acoustically than the bebops, which I use on my T185 thinline.)

User Info Menu

Be careful not to put too much tension on the guitar with heavier gauged strings...My Eastman 910's tailpiece ripped apart while tuning the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Makani
    Be careful not to put too much tension on the guitar with heavier gauged strings...My Eastman 910's tailpiece ripped apart while tuning the guitar.
    That must clearly be a warranty issue. An Archtop tailpiece should be able to withstand whatever cables you hook up onto it. But I think I have read about such an issue before - I don't remember if it was an Eastman but it was an Asian instrument.

User Info Menu

I read (online but don't remember where) that eastman had a batch of bad tailpieces that didnt' last. Normally they should be able to take .013s.

User Info Menu

My eastman has been strung with .14s for the most part of the last 5-6 years without any problems but i remember reading somewhere about the tailpiece problems. If the tailpiece on my guitar will one day fall apart then so be it, i´ll replace it with something that can take heavy strings.

User Info Menu

Eastman tailpiece discussion here: Eastman AR810CE tailpiece failures?

I'm currently experimenting with TI flatwound 12's on my Yunzhi (similar to the Eastman). Don't love sound of the lower strings when playing acoustically (more thump, less ping) but love the feel and no issues with the amplified sound. Have some Bebops that go on next. No substitute for trying them out for yourself.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions. Why TI as opposed to swings? What are the differences?

User Info Menu

Right now I'm using GHS White Bronze on my Eastman AR803. They have more acoustic tone and yet they work really well with the magnetic pickup. But lots of finger squeaks... I've also used TI Bebop 13's and TI Swing 13's(flats). Never sure with that guitar...It has such a light acoustic tone...Decided to go with how it sounds naturally.

User Info Menu

Hi, I am new here and also in jazz but play classical guitar all my life. I want to buy a jazz guitar and hesitate between an Eastman AR 610 CE and AR810 CE. I know the 810 is better but also more expensive and a little above my budget. I have a great classical guitar so I know what quality is. The 610 I can get used for 800 euros, the 810 for 1100 euros. What its your advice? Is the 810 really so much betterthat it justifies the price difference? Thanks

User Info Menu

Regarding the tailpiece issue:

I took an acoustic guitar to a repair technician this week for a setup. I am looking for a used Eastman El Rey ER1, so I asked him if he had experience with Eastman archtops. He said he had worked on two in the last year, not for setups, but for fractured tailpieces…not exactly what I wanted to hear. He couldn’t remember the model numbers, but the break was at the same place on both guitars, at the bottom of the tailpiece on one arm. Eastman was quick to respond, he said, replacing the part and for one of his clients, they paid him for his labor because the owner insisted that Eastman cover the cost.

Berkeley isn’t that big a town, so for two repairs like that to show up in a year is a bit disconcerting.

User Info Menu

The 605 and the 805 are very similar. The 805 has better woods. The tops are both spruce. the 605 has mahogony back and sides the 805 has maple.

The 605 has a rosewood fretboard, tail piece and pickguard, the 805 uses ebony for those.

The dimensions are the same but the pickups are different. The Eastman uptown series comes in 3 flavors 03/05/10 which describe size and 3 flavors which describe components 6/8/9. The higher the component designator the "better" the materials. I suggest you play them both and decide what you like. The closest dealer to my house is 2.5 hours away. I purchased mine online and was very happy with the delivered product. If the dealer is close to you I would try them both and make a decision based on comfort and sound.

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman 805ce and have been through the tailpiece issue many times. Presently I'm on my fourth, all being the Eastman hinges. This is not a string issue but a faulty alloy in the hinge which is where they always break. They have reportedly addressed the issue but also have changed the design slightly so the newer tailpiece doesn't fit the older guitar without a major retro fit on the guitar moving the input jack to the tailpiece plate etc. Eastman has sent me a replacement, no charge, and I'm fairly adept at getting things back the way they were but the bottom line is that the tailpiece should be able to handle 13's and if not, it's defective.

User Info Menu

I'm perfectly happy with my Ibanez PM2 for that plugged in, very slightly burning jazz sound. But, acoustically, it is OK to practice with, but not to record with. So I was on the lookout for a good acoustic box, with or without a floater attached.

I was feeling a bit blue after a deal fell through over another guitar, and somehow, quite mysteriously, I found myself in a guitar store - how that happened, I'll never know

Anyway, they had a Guild Benedetto for £4,000 - which I played for a laugh, as it was WAY BEYOND my budget. And to my great relief, I didn't like it!

They also had an Eastman AR810CE. I thought I'd give it a try. First thing that struck me was the neck - absolutely perfect for me. Wider than the PM2, and more suitable for fingerstyle playing, I was happy to play it. The sound was very good too. Now, I'd seen this guitar in this shop nearly two years ago, and the owner said he just couldn't sell it. Edinburgh musicians are a conservative bunch, and this guitar is...blue.

I'll admit, I do not like blue guitars. They are OK if your surname is Burrell...But I really liked this guitar. I asked if it was in the Christmas sale - it wasn't. But then the guy made me smile - I can't tell you how much I paid, but I can say he clearly wanted to sell that guitar at that minute. He said I am not allowed to tell anyone what I paid, he would be so embarrassed I'm a man of my word. Suffice to say it is now my favourite guitar store!

No sound files yet, but doubtless a video will follow. I changed the old flatwounds to new roundwounds. I used Thomastik Spectrum Bronze, 13-57. They are great strings, but I feel I've lost some of the jazz tone the flatwounds gave me. I always view roundwounds for acoustic, flatwounds for electric, but I will have to try a few options for this guitar. It still sounds good, but not quite what I am after...but it is close.

So, here is Bluesy:

Eastman AR810CE-bluesy6-jpg

Eastman AR810CE-bluesy3-jpg

Edit: Video added:

Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 12-28-2013 at 05:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I'll be completely honest, I love the blue! I wish I could have found my Eastman in that color! On my 805, I really like flats, I feel that it kind of mellows out the tone of the carved woods. I haven't tried any Thomastiks because they are cost prohibitive for me, but the Chromes sound really great both acoustically and plugged in.

Again, love the guitar, congrats!

User Info Menu

Glad you like it. It will grow on me, I'm sure. The strings are growing on me, now that I've tuned them down a tone, and slightly raised the bridge on the bass side. Hopefully I can get a video done tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Saw one for sale just like that a few weeks ago and remember thinking how amazingly well that color actually works on that guitar! Good score, great looking and sounding instrument! Great for blues I suppose ;-)

User Info Menu

Just added a video to the original post. Might as well include it here too:

After a few doodles to check the tuning, I play "Last Night When We Were Young" from Volume 2 of Barry Galbraith's superb arrangements.

What do you think?

User Info Menu

Congrats on the guitar Rob

Have you ever tried TI Plectrum strings. They are a softer sounding bronze string; I have used them on a flat top acoustic and I think they might work well on an archtop.

Derek