The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 150 of 150

User Info Menu

Yes I'm sure I'm going to need a deeper case. Right now my box has thumbwheels beneath the pickup, and it's barely deep enough as it is. It closes but I can feel there is very little give. I have full size knobs that i'm going to put on. My case that I have now is about 4 1/2 inches (internal dimensions). I found a deeper case though thanks to the above comment by @hammertone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone

Another option is an Ameritage 17" case - these come in a "Silver" format and a "Gold" format - the only difference is that the Gold has an added humidification system.
    Just a warning about Ameritage: While they are awesome cases, they are quite heavy to carry.

User Info Menu

The highest part of the guitar is the bridge. If the pickguard isn't hitting the top of the case now, the knobs probably won't hit it when installed. There's a lot more room in there than there appears to be, and if you get a deeper case, and the bridge doesn't touch the top, the guitar will move around when you tilt it, and you risk damage to the guitar, either the top or the neck. The fit should be tight, both the sides and the top/bottom, but the fit of the top and bottom is actually more important IMO.

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the reply to my post. Actually, I have another guitar that came stock with a volume knob on the pickguard and the button is higher than the bridge by a long shot, and this will most likely be the case when I get done replacing the pickguard and putting the knobs on the pickguard on my Eastman.

EDIT: Also with my last guitar, the knob was definitely getting pressed down when I closed my case which caused a few problems.
    Last edited by broturtel; 05-18-2020 at 08:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Here are the backs and sides as promised. Along with the Zoller pickup installed. I gotta say, I LOVE how it sounds. But I also love how freaking flat it is. It also helps that the fretboard is lifted way above the body vice not having enough space for anything besides a johnny smith on the vintage style neck of the Loar I have.

Has anyone else ever gotten a guitar who's backs didn't have matching pieces. For me, they're literally 2 different tones of maple wood. Obviously, I'm not a person who cares. Idc how much I pay for a guitar, wood is natural. I'm not asking someone to make me a perfect anything. But I do find it a bit funny considering I've never seen a guitar like this. Well, whatever. It sounds amazing. I'll post some sound clips too when I get a chance.

Eastman AR810CE-img_2805-jpgEastman AR810CE-img_2803-jpgEastman AR810CE-img_2804-jpgEastman AR810CE-4b96c240-b198-4cf6-9ddc-e56426180e16-jpg

User Info Menu

I think you’ll see that the back is two matched pieces if you look at it in the right light. Sometimes the grain of one side picks up more light than the other because the grain is literally going the opposite direction. But you can see it in the mirror image grain near the bottom. That is a book-matched maple back.

User Info Menu

Yes I see the grains! I didn't know that one side could pick up more light though. I've never heard of anything like that or seen it. Either way, the wood is still beautiful IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by broturtel
    Yes, to each their own, pal. I like the neck, size, and sound of the Eastman a lot better. I think the LH-650 is a little warmer. But it's not as pleasant sounding to my ear. The difference in the neck, though, is where I really like the Eastman. But like you said, to each their own. I think I'm actually going to sell my LH-650 here pretty soon. Having 2 archtops is a bit too much for me.
    It's my belief that the LH650 truly comes alive with a pickup swap. I'd not judge the guitar without doing one. I used a Bartolini 5J pickup in that guitar and it came alive. What are you asking for yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I think you’ll see that the back is two matched pieces if you look at it in the right light. Sometimes the grain of one side picks up more light than the other because the grain is literally going the opposite direction. But you can see it in the mirror image grain near the bottom. That is a book-matched maple back.
    Here's a photo of a guitar with a bookmatched back, taken to highlight that effect.

User Info Menu

Bear with me and my tired old eyes - if you’re the guy looking for a case to accommodate putting knobs on your pickguard
    tske it to tech snd have him replace the cheap hidden controls with Schatten hidden controls. I’ve done this many times with drastic improvement in volume and tone control sensitivity and sound .
    heck even Mark Campellone switched to schsttens on guitars with pickguard controls

good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    It's my belief that the LH650 truly comes alive with a pickup swap. I'd not judge the guitar without doing one. I used a Bartolini 5J pickup in that guitar and it came alive. What are you asking for yours?
    Not sure yet! And also, I guess when I compare guitar sounds (archtops) i'm usually refering to acoustic properties. Put a good pickup on almost anything it comes alive. But to my ear, acoustically the Eastman is more rich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Bear with me and my tired old eyes - if you’re the guy looking for a case to accommodate putting knobs on your pickguard
    tske it to tech snd have him replace the cheap hidden controls with Schatten hidden controls. I’ve done this many times with drastic improvement in volume and tone control sensitivity and sound .
    heck even Mark Campellone switched to schsttens on guitars with pickguard controls

good luck

Hey there Mike. I did this with my Loar LH-650. They work really well, but quite honestly I just like having the controls on the pickguard. I don't like the thumbwheels. I thought I would, but I don't.

User Info Menu

Regarding your preference in tone between the Loar and the Eastman, one is 16 inches and the other 17, the scale lengths are also different, one 24'75, the other 25" (if I'm not mistaken).. So they're not really exactly comparable.
    I'm interested in your thoughts on the necks
    Why do you prefer the neck on the Eastman? Is it less chunky or something?
    I'm searching for my real first all solid archtop, and a I have these two guitars on sale not too far from me, won't be able to try the two, so l'm trying to find every useful information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Regarding your preference in tone between the Loar and the Eastman, one is 16 inches and the other 17, the scale lengths are also different, one 24'75, the other 25" (if I'm not mistaken).. So they're not really exactly comparable.
    I'm interested in your thoughts on the necks
    Why do you prefer the neck on the Eastman? Is it less chunky or something?
    I'm searching for my real first all solid archtop, and a I have these two guitars on sale not too far from me, won't be able to try the two, so l'm trying to find every useful information.
    Oh yeah, they're two TOTALLY different builds as far as guitars go. The Loar is also about half an inch deeper than the Eastman. Different scale lengths, different construction as well. The Loar has a vintage neck angle which makes it more difficult to fit floating pickups there unless they're mini floaters (johnny smith style).

Well, as far as why I like the Eastman more it's for a few different reasons. The first reason is the neck, like you mentioned. The Loar has a vintage V style neck. So it's more clunky. Don't get me wrong, it's still comfortable. But the Eastman has a C profile neck if I'm not mistaken. Maybe I'm wrong here. Definitely less clunky. Same nut width of 1.75". The scale length is also longer like you said on the Eastman. Which may not be for everyone. There is a bit more tension. Also the Loar does have a more vintage sound as that's the style they're going for. Eastman on the other hand kind of copied the Benedetto style of guitars. I've never played a Benedetto so I can't compare the sound to it. Obviously the Eastman is definitely louder. It's not as warm, though. It's a bit more clear. But not as clear and focused as perhaps other archtops in the 16" category. All in all, the Eastman is MY preference. SO many people like the Loar LH-650 more. I like big bodies. I'm a small guy but I have monkey arms. Long as heck. Don't just take my word for it though. Try and play some different archtops if you can. If you can't, do PLENTY of research. Watch comparison videos or videos where people demo the sounds of different archtops. And for brands like Loar and Eastman, look at the guitars they copy. The Loar copies the Gibson L-4C while the Eastman copies the Benedetto. Obviously more expensive instruments so I'm not saying those are the ones you have to go for, just look and see what kind of sound and construction they're meaning to imitate. And lurk around on these forums too. See what's worked for others looking for the sound you're looking for. Sound and feel are both really important. I used to think that maybe sound was more important. it totally is important, but how a guitar feels in your hands is important too. Don't settle. I was settling when I bought the Loar because I wanted something cheaper than others. Lucky for me it turned out to be a nice guitar, but in retrospect I wish (for my preferences only) that I had gotten an eastman from the get-go. Because I would have already had the sound and feel I wanted all along. Remember that opinions and preferences are just that. Don't take guitar comparisons or preferences for what you should want or like. Search for the sound and style that inspires you because if you don't, you'll be stuck with something that doesn't make you happy, and you'll spend even more money trying to get what does. There are some people who can pick up any guitar and love it. And that doesn't make them better or worse. It's just how they play. Make sure you know what you want if you want something specific. Also, message me if you have any direct questions about my experience so far with either guitar. Here's a picture of them side-by-side btw. sorry for the wires all out on the Loar. I just put a tone knob in and i'm waiting on a new pickguard.

Eastman AR810CE-img_2806-jpg

User Info Menu

Any chance u could post up some playing with the eastman?

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR810CE. Does have that usual hex wrench truss rod. What size is this bolt so that I can get the proper tool to adjust it with.

Thanks so much for all your help!

User Info Menu

This one fits my Eastman. Not the same model guitar, but I think they use the same truss rod in everything.
    5/16 Truss Rod Wrench Fits Gibson, ESP ect. Luthier Guitar Tool Ships From U.S. | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    This one fits my Eastman. Not the same model guitar, but I think they use the same truss rod in everything.
    5/16 Truss Rod Wrench Fits Gibson, ESP ect. Luthier Guitar Tool Ships From U.S. | eBay
    Thank you so much! Which model Eastman do you have if you don't mind me asking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    Any chance u could post up some playing with the eastman?
    Hey there! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Anyways, I recorded some demos today. The mic is just a $50 condensor mic, but it does the job. The pickup is direct input into my Scarlette 2i2. No effects used, just straight DI. Then I also recorded some with the DI + Mic and also using a Bios Amp sim. The amp is called "Jazz Tone for Solid" by Yoshikazu Shimizu. Also included a recording of the amp sim + mic.

Mic Only:

Entire Playlist:
    Shimmer (Eastman AR810CE sound demos) by Bro. Turtel | Free Listening on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

I have a T145. It's an older thinline carved spruce hollowbody.

User Info Menu

I never heard of buying ONE Allen wrench - they usually come in sets. Also, your Eastman may be metric instead of SAE.

User Info Menu

It doesn't use an Allen wrench. It has a hex nut on the end, which needs a wrench. The one in the link has a socket on one end, and a Phillips screwdriver on the other, for removing the truss rod cover screws. Lots of truss rods have hex nuts instead of Allen sockets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I never heard of buying ONE Allen wrench - they usually come in sets. Also, your Eastman may be metric instead of SAE.
    Not always true. I've bought a single allen key truss rod wrench in the past for a past guitar. Also, the Eastman is actually a 5/16" hex as stated above! Thanks for the reply!

Regards
    BT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have a T145. It's an older thinline carved spruce hollowbody.
    Oh nice! Btw, you were correct. Picked up a multi-tool from GC today (I needed the other tools anyway) and the 5/16" worked. So thank you so much!

User Info Menu

Eastman read the Benedetto book and followed it faithfully. Benedetto uses the same truss rod, or at least the same style. The same wrench that came with one of my Benedettos fits my Eastman perfectly.