The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Lucille or Sheraton II ?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Epiphone BB King Lucille

14 18.92%
  • Epiphone Sheraton II

60 81.08%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Can't argue with the logic of that but to me it made a real difference. Mind you at 61 my hearing isn't what it used to be...ruined by going to too many loud discos and rock concerts in the 60s and 70s.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woyvel
    Revising my vote! I played an Epi Lucille and a Sheraton side-by-side this week. I'm big on versatility, but it was the ability to get a better (imo) warm tone on the Epi Lu that did it for me. Seriously thinking about acquiring one now.

Regarding the varitone, I'm not a huge fan of them, but I'm more than familiar with it (have it on my L6) I found the single coil position to be nice. Yes, it cuts volume, but the same thing happens with most guitars when you tap the humbucker.
    There's a guy I had a satisfying transaction with (he bought my old Les Paul couple of years ago) who has a black Lucille made in Korea for sale for $499 on his website. Guitarsandeffects.com. He has lots of other interesting guitars and seems to price them to sell. Maybe worth a look for you.

User Info Menu

just bought a Sheraton 2. I think it's a little more versital than the lucille. I find the lucille to be more bluse oreinted. Sheraton will give a better jazz tone and a good blues tone as well. Also I think the Sheraton sounds pretty good for an eppiphone. The lucille eppiphone versus the Gibson modle there is no comparison IMO.

My vote goes to the Sheraton because of it's versatiliy between blues and jazz.

User Info Menu

Sheraton . Been playing one for the last seven years . Great Axe .

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Sheraton.
    Last week, in a trade, I just got a 2004 Korean made Sheraton in Natural color.
    After a week of playing with it, I am progressively bonding with it and I suspect it is gonna become my main axe for a long time.
    I love the 5 pieces neck which feels beefier than my Joe Pass or the Regent.
    I traded a 1999 Epi Les Paul Custom intended for backup to my Gibby and the deal was perfect for me.

User Info Menu

I own a Dot which I upgraded with a piezo bridge (Schaller) and I love it so much,and Sheraton is just upgraded Dot with fancy binding and fretboard markers,I played a lot in a past Gibson Lucille model so if the Epiphone version is similar to original then I prefer Dot (Sheraton),not to many use of varitone in gigg situation.

Here's mine with piezo sound,strings are some Thomastik 12' flatwound.

User Info Menu

The Sheraton has been around since 1958 . Wouldn't that make the Dot a downgraded version ???

User Info Menu

I voted for Lucille. Be different. Everybody wants/has a Sheraton.

User Info Menu

Having owned a Sheraton, and now having a Gibson ES-335 (essentially the model for the Dot), I'd go for the Epiphone Dot. The Sheraton has more bling, but that contributes nothing to the music. My Sheraton had rather sloppy inlay work on it, which turned me off.

Pics (the Epi had the pickguard removed, creme pickup rings substituted, and SD pickups as well as speed knobs installed):

The Gibson:

User Info Menu

I have a Sheriton II that I really love. I put a pair of Dimarzio 36 aniversary pickups and some Gibson George benson strings on it. Be sure and try out how the kneck fits you. Some people like a slimmer kneck. Can't go wrong with this guitar, but also try out the new Ibanez AM93"s. It's similar but also an amazing guitar for the same price.

User Info Menu

I agree with the above poster talking about the Sheraton being a dressed up dot. If you like the fancy stuff, go for it. If you plan on replacing the pups, the dot will allow for some extra spending on some nice pups. I'd like to point out that we are individuals and we should strive for sounding 'like ourselves' so my vote is to try every guitar before you decide on one over another. It's comparing apples to oranges, even though they've all got six strings.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    Having owned a Sheraton, and now having a Gibson ES-335 (essentially the model for the Dot), I'd go for the Epiphone Dot. The Sheraton has more bling, but that contributes nothing to the music. My Sheraton had rather sloppy inlay work on it, which turned me off.

Pics (the Epi had the pickguard removed, creme pickup rings substituted, and SD pickups as well as speed knobs installed):

The Gibson:

That epiphone doesn't look right compared to the Gibson, the Mickey mouse ears are too small! I've had a lot of epiphone guitars through my shop and they always show their true colors as bargain guitars, so I'm going to ask a question: is epiphones reputation better in Europe? It seems to me that a lot of folks compare epi's to gibsons...but reading through this thread I see a lot of 'never played, but read about' type of comments, which aren't very useful. If you want a closed body 335 I suggest you look up a Gibson 335 studio. I've seen them going for under a grand on eBay.

To the poster who said closed f holes wouldnt make a difference...I really must disagree with that thought. Ever strummed a guitar and covered up the f hole with you hand? It absolutely makes a difference.

User Info Menu

All epi user change youre bridge to shaller huge difference in tone

User Info Menu

Hi, this is m first posting here. What took so long?? Just too damn busy I guess. But I really enjoy talks about gear and the subtleties encountered. While not an expert, I bring many years worth of playing, listening, and dabbling with guitars of many types, some mods, and playing thru different amps as well.

I bought an Epiphone Lucille 2 years ago, after A-B ing it with a Sheraton at the same time. Both were for sale, same price and both black, both made in China.

I bought the Lucille. It was set up better and had a fuller tone. Similar bling but I felt the Lucille looked better. The Varitone is a nice feature I never had before, and I have used it. Fun guitar.

This guitar is so well made and the work is SO clean and exact. Excellent fit and finish, esp. in the neck inlays. For tone, with the stock p/ups, it sounded EXACTLY like my friend's '64 Gibson ES345. We wanted to find a dissimilarity, but could not! Great tone!!!!!!

I feel I made an excellent choice - but only after playing both the Lucille and the Sheraton for an hour or so.

After purchasing it, I did mod the bridge post on one side, put on brass bridge saddles, changed the stop TP to a lightweight aluminum one, and then changed p/ups to Gibson '57 Classic +, for more punch. (No way you will want to change p/ups at the pots - too many wires in a small space with the Varitone and Stereo output. I changed them from the top, and just clipped the leads, joining the new with the old and soldering in the p/up cavities)

What I have now, is an exceptional sounding guitar that plays as smooth as butter.
    I play mostly blues (rhythym and solos) on this guitar. It has a wider nut which is something I really need. My other guitars (for comparison and reference) include a Gibson L5 CES, a 1961 Guild Starfire, a Kay Thin Twin, a Strat or 2, a Tele, and a few more. I've had several Guild hollow bodies, and a Gibson Johnny Smith, and an ES 150. Right now, it's better than ever.

That's it - for now

User Info Menu

I have a few 335 type guitars and three guitars with Varitone, a Blues Hawk, 345 and and 137 custom. The Varitone in the first colored positions gives you tones you can't get from the tone control. The BBK is far less prone to feedback than an F hole.

Some say that even in bypass the Varitone colors the sound, I can't agree. It does lower your volume in the positions off bypass so a volume pedal is a useful tool. I think you would not need to change pups in the Lucille.

The bottom line is try them both get what fits you best.

User Info Menu

When I got my AS100 (store was closing) they offerred me a Gibson Lucille for the same price. I have to say it played beautifully (this was in '89) but I got the AS100 because the Lucille was too heavy for me. I don't know a lot about the Lucille, this one was wired for stereo. Being a skinny guy I haven't regretted my choice but I will say that Lucille did sing...

User Info Menu

Having a Sheraton, another vote for it.