The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 108 of 108

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Sigh.. artists.

From an engineering perspective it's a question of how much and what kind of force you apply from your fingers and wrist to get what you want happening on the strings. Just as a purely intuitive observation, small, stiff, skinny picks are articulated almost entirely by your finger and thumb with only a bit of wrist. Much less any forearm. And the pointy tip will stay around where you put it.

Subjectively, for my application they are mostly just good for arthritis. And dropping and losing.

A proper pick for me is at least 1.5mm and 3mm is better. And with enough real estate where you don't have to work so hard. A large, thick pick supports everything from jumping about arpeggios, single note leads and full strumming. On a tele, a gypsy jazz guitar, or an 18" archtop with .014's.

Of course, that's just me. You ultimately have to try every pick ever made for yourself. Probably several times.
    For what you're talking about, I like Dunlop Big Stubbies (3mm) with the tips carefully slightly blunted and obsessively polished to just the right degree to facilitate speed and smoothness. I'd love a Big Stubbie molded with the Primetone material!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Sigh.. artists.

From an engineering perspective it's a question of how much and what kind of force you apply from your fingers and wrist to get what you want happening on the strings. Just as a purely intuitive observation, small, stiff, skinny picks are articulated almost entirely by your finger and thumb with only a bit of wrist. Much less any forearm. And the pointy tip will stay around where you put it.

Subjectively, for my application they are mostly just good for arthritis. And dropping and losing.

A proper pick for me is at least 1.5mm and 3mm is better. And with enough real estate where you don't have to work so hard. A large, thick pick supports everything from jumping about arpeggios, single note leads and full strumming. On a tele, a gypsy jazz guitar, or an 18" archtop with .014's.

Of course, that's just me. You ultimately have to try every pick ever made for yourself. Probably several times.

Yeah well ... That is the difference between the artist and someone like me. I discovered at an early age that the weight (!) combined with the stiffness of the Dunlop 2 mm picks just made playing easier ... But if you got technique and chops in spades then you can accept a less than optimal pick from a playing perspective in order to get the expression and sound you like the most

User Info Menu

Back in the day, I used a medium Gibson teardrop pick for many years - until they became unavailable. Over the years, I have used various sizes, but about a dozen years ago, a friend recommended Fender extra heavy. I prefer a heavier pick because to me it is more precise and makes it easier dig in. Recently, I have tried a smaller, lighter pickups and couldn't really get used to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    For what you're talking about, I like Dunlop Big Stubbies (3mm) with the tips carefully slightly blunted and obsessively polished to just the right degree to facilitate speed and smoothness. I'd love a Big Stubbie molded with the Primetone material!
    im a big stubby 3mm guy too

cant get enough versatility with anything
    small , there ok for lines but if wanna
    do a big strumming thing or even a small
    funky strumming thing I’ll drop a small pick

thick gives a nice fat sound too

be interested in big stubbies in other materials tho
    are any available ?

User Info Menu

Love the green Tortex!

User Info Menu

addendum

I got some 3mm Big Stubbies in nylon
    Why do jazz guitarists use small picks?-aa91d4b6-91f3-4300-8177-060a789a8cfd-jpg

I like em , very slightly softer material
    than normal stubbies
    which is great they don’t ‘clack’ as much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    addendum

I got some 3mm Big Stubbies in nylon
    Why do jazz guitarists use small picks?-aa91d4b6-91f3-4300-8177-060a789a8cfd-jpg

I like em , very slightly softer material
    than normal stubbies
    which is great they don’t ‘clack’ as much
    Nice! Love the Stubbies, Big and Lil'!

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    In a thread about picks, this video shouldn't be left out:

Fast forward to 23:15. Also interesting is the part that starts at 13:00. A must watch for any Queen fan. Brian May is such a humble man.
    I saw Queen back in the late '70s (I think it was at least a 2 bill show with Thin Lizzy warming-up? Gary Moore was just unbelievable). After the show, there was a sixpence on the stage that Brian had dropped during the show while playing. As the roadies were clearing the stage, I called one of them over and I asked him for it. He picked-it-up, gave it to me and I gave him a dollar in exchange.

I still have it.

More on the subject, I've always used Fender mediums, but am considering a change, at least for jazz, to either JD IIIXL or Pick Boy heavy. They have to be white of course.