Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Of course I could just write an email to Hofner...
    The lovely old folks who are in charge of such things are very busy with whatever keeps them busy. Faster and easier if I do it. More to come.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those are some gorgeous guitars, and the couch is indeed nice as well. Sorry for being late to the party.

User Info Menu

The party has been over for quite some time, actually.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    ...More to come.
    Yes, please! Also, the party ain't over till it's over. Especially with a guitar like that.

User Info Menu

I measured the fretbord radius on two Chancellors and will check two other Chancellors. I'll also measure a couple of Jazzicas and New Presidents. The fretboard of each Chancellor has a compound radius, from 7 1/4" at the nut end to @9 1/2" at the body end. Now I know - previously I just played the things and was impressed with their comfort and playability.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-25-2019 at 01:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Now that's interesting! A compound radius and a pretty round one on top of that. I like a radius like that on a Fender style guitar but even there I'd prefer it a little flatter. I've never played a Chancellor but I would certainly be interested in trying one. Maybe it is perfectly comfortable. The nut width and neck thickness are are exactly how I like it. Thanks a lot for taking your time to measure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Now that's interesting! A compound radius and a pretty round one on top of that. I like a radius like that on a Fender style guitar but even there I'd prefer it a little flatter. I've never played a Chancellor but I would certainly be interested in trying one. Maybe it is perfectly comfortable. The nut width and neck thickness are are exactly how I like it. Thanks a lot for taking your time to measure!
    Well, American Guitar Shop in Berlin has one - why don't you go over there and try it out, since you are also in Berlin? Not suggesting you buy theirs - it seems to be a bit overpriced IMO, but it would certainly give you an idea of what the model is all about.
    They are at Goethestraße 32/49, 10625 Berlin | Phone: +49 30 31504644

Beyer's has one and they are near Essen - not sure if you ever get over there from Berlin - bit of a drive.

User Info Menu

Indeed, there's one available at the American Guitar store, I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. Very pricey though, you're right, don't think it'll sell anytime soon. I should give it a try some time, although I'd be risking a bad case of GAS once again.

User Info Menu

Höfner plus Berlin spells Guitar Doc in Köpenicker Straße. He has new old stock, too - discovered bodies and necks from the sixties and built new guitars from them.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I know Guitar Doc has a bunch of crappy laminated thinline Ovation Hurricane bodies, made by Hofner. I suspect that the really hideous Gumby-looking Thunderhead/Tornado/Typhoon bodies were not made by Hofner, but I don't care enough to find out.

Does Guitar Doc have any Höfner Chancellors?
    The Chancellor at the American Guitar store is worth trying so that you can see for yourself what the fuss is about.

User Info Menu

Don't like the guitar doc, I have been there once and though he was mighty arrogant. There are great and friendly luthiers in town, no need to bother the doc. I'll pay a visit to the American Guitar Shop but I will need a day off and nothing else to be on my to do list, don't know when that will be. I'll post my impressions here after I have played a Chancellor.