The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

How often do you replace your old string with new ones?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When the limit of the octave pitch adjusting.

User Info Menu

When I see or hear they need changing. I keep 2 sets of prefered strings for each of my guitars on hand.

User Info Menu

My non-jazz gigging guitars-every three gigs. My jazz guitar-when they start to lose intonation, or have tuning problems. Those flatwound chromes seem to last forever with me, unlike any other string I've ever used.

User Info Menu

1) I dont gig. (disclaimer)
    2) Depends on the strings.

Archtone roundwounds last forever but I only used them on my Epi EmpReg.

D'add XLs I can get 3 weeks out of (on my fender lead / telecaster but those are more rock guitars)

Chromes (which I have always HATED actually work well on my 165.. I think I got a couple of months out of them)

I change them when they sound dead or the intonation is off. On my Lead I and Tele they die first. On the emp reg the intonation goes before the tone.

User Info Menu

Probably twice a year.

User Info Menu

I love the sound of fresh strings, but tight economy so every couple months.

User Info Menu

I would say I like to change my strings about every 3 months although I could probably go longer than that. I use D'Addario chromes flatwounds and they last a pretty long time.

thanks for your input I use D'Addario chromes flatwounds my self and change every 6 month or so

User Info Menu

Point of interest.Jack Grassel reckons he changes his strings every five years!

User Info Menu

With my TI flats I change them about once a month but I also change the two plain strings once within that time. I find with Thomastics the flatwound strings take time to wear in and loose that metalic sound. I also wipe my strings down after playing.
    Does anyone here use finger ease on there flatwound strings?

User Info Menu

a quote from the Time Jumpers (western swing) website - the set on Andy's 1966 Gibson Barney Kessel model are OVER EIGHT YEARS OLD

User Info Menu

I use TI Benson flatwound 12's -- maybe every 5-6 years. I play every day on one of 2 or 3 guitars in a slowly evolving collection. They seem to last a very very long time for me -- in fact, it's really rare that I find a need to replace them. Especially when they sound harsh as newbies and $20+ a pop is rough.

User Info Menu

How many times you need to change strings is very personal. I think one of the main issues is, that strings corrode, because of the moist / acid on your hands.

A friend of mine cannot use a set of sdtrings for more than 2 weeks before they are completely corroded and will break or start to loose tuning / intonation properties.

I personally have very dry skin and hands though, so for me strings seem to last forever. I use Daddario EJ22's or TI Bebops both 013 and could be a year or more before they are changed out.

User Info Menu

I replace them when they feel totally nasty.

PJ

User Info Menu

Usually summer time and winter time

User Info Menu

About once a year, sometimes every year and a half. Changing is normally precipitated by the inability to tune them up, otherwise it's all good

Well, I don't gig, but I do change my strings every 2-3 months though, more if I play more.

Tommy Tedesco said that you shouldn't change your strings until they go dead or bad in tuning, not just because a week or month is up.

User Info Menu

I don't gig but I practice fairly heavily. I used to change every 3 weeks but this year have been very lazy and now it's more like every 6 months. I've noticed very little effect on my general happiness with my sound.

If you play/record your archtop acoustically frequently you'll probably have to change more frequently but otherwise I don't really see the advantage to quick changes any more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyaleT
    When I see or hear they need changing.
    Likewise. For me that works out to about 20 to 30 hours of playing on round-wound strings. (I haven't played flats enough to get a good time estimate.)

User Info Menu

3-5 months...time to time i loose the strings a bit (relaxing) and lubricate...makes difference...ciao

I have a small collection of guitars that I play in rotation (American Telecaster. American Strat, Gibson Flying V, Epiphone Emperor Regent). I used to try to string them individually to get different sounds, lately I find myself using only Gibson L5 strings (11-52), which last a LONG time (probably 2 - 3 months of intermittent use).