The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I have a Peterson guitar special P100G amp (wooden cabinet) with an Electro Voice speaker. These amps were made in England. I have not used it for quite some time because it needs a check up. This Peterson is a top jazz guitar amp with an outstanding equalizer to match the different arch top or solid body guitars. I purchased the amp a lot of years ago second hand. Never came across a same amp.
    Anyone have any experience with these amps? I am looking for a repair shop in Western Europe (I live in the Netherlands now) to do the check up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am trying to get my Peterson p100g up and running. I understand that the original manager of the Peterson company is "Pete Tullet" and that he still has an interest in these amps and may have original new-old-stock parts. Does anyone know how to contact him? thanks JIM

User Info Menu

after hearing MITSUKUNI TANABE (first clip in the good sounds thread) I also wanted to have a Peterson P100g !!!

There were to on ebay Germany just last month, I bid on both but was outbid. Both sold for approx 350 euro

New they were much more expensive but apparently most have some problems over time and are getting harder to repair since the company is no longer there

Since you're in the Netherlands - on marktplaats there are more than 20 repair shops for guitar amps.

User Info Menu

Typical problem is quality of origjnal pots.

Replacing is not so difficult.

[Pots]
    Tone: H, MH, ML, L : 10KA
    Gain, Master : 22KB (or 20KB)
    I removed Master, always Max ways equal to remove, for get the good sounds, just taped the hole.
    Reverb : 10KA

In my case,
    1. replaced only the Ch1, I don't use the Ch2.
    2. Pots: TOCOS(Tokyo Cosmos) RV24YN20S. ??24??for panel mount.
    (original is ?20?for PCB.)
    I changed the place of PCB a littel.

Bset regards kawa
    Last edited by kawa; 02-03-2011 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Circamstances in Japan???????? ?peterson p100g - Google ŒŸõ
    Tube like fat & round jazz tone : FET, Ev EVM10L or Em ME10-1008 (Eminence type is good for jazz guitar)
    Enough Power:100W
    Compact: Helpful stage work,space(bigband etc),carrying
    I'm using now on big band for every events.

Very popular in Japan !!!
    Still expensive even the used.

also my past posting from "Good Sounds" #136
    Two Rare Birds Jazz Guitarists Will Love - Premier Guitar
    (writers mistake; P100G is 10" speaker !!!)

The peterson amp has two typical problems, bad pots and relays contact.
    I replaced to TOCOS(TOKYO COSMOS) pots(RV24YN20S) and OMRON relay(G2R-1A-E).

from the thread "What is your Jazz Setup" #35
    Settings
    Guitar:Gibson '67 ES-175DN V8 T10
    Strngs:Gibson SEG-1040ML
    Shield Cable:Belden 9778
    "Amps & Settings" Amps were tilted by legs or stand.Sound check point was flont of speaker(Mic set point)
    Fender '66 Vibrolux Reverb(Speakers Jensen C10NS):T2 B3.5
    Fender Twin Reveb 100W(Speakers:Rola): T1?2.5 M6?8 B1?2 Master Max(Equal to without master)
    Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue(Speakers: Eminence):T1 M6?8 B3
    Peterson P-100G-MkII(Speaker:Eminence ME-10):Gain 1?3( Volume use) L/MIn M1/Min M2/-4 H/-2 Master/Max(Equal to without master)
    Polytone MIni-BruteII: Master/Max B/+1 M/+2 T/+1 Gain/2?4(Volume use) Contour/10?11( O'clocK) Program/edge Tone color switch/
    Center
    Peavey Envoy 110(speaker:Bule Marvel)(Ser.G0113936):Modern mode B3 M2 H0

Important things: Balance for solo tone and backing tone.
    LIke to guitar,not like to electric piano.

Last edited by kawa; 01-01-2014 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I'm repairing a Peterson P100G guitar amp at the moment.

Is there any chance anyone has the schematics for this amplifier?

Also, is there any contact available for Pete Tulett?

Thank you so much

User Info Menu

kawa is the guy who knows this amp. I have corresponded with him via this forum over the last couple of years. The Peterson amp is an _excellent_ sounding amp for jazz. After listening to the jazz clips on YouTube from Japan I have developed a serious case of GAS over the Peterson.

Of course, I do all of my own amp tech work, so dodgy pots are of no particular consequence to me.

Good luck in your quest for a Peterson. Here is a clip of Tanabe on his Super-400 into a Peterson (superb):

User Info Menu

Hi Greenstone,
    I in the quest for the schematic of the amp so I can repair the unit I have at the moment.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I've got it. You can call me at 401 419 0621
    jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bastian
    I've got it. You can call me at 401 419 0621
    jim
    thank you so much

pm sent

User Info Menu

Great amps !

Here's a nice clip of Howard Alden using a Peterson, with great shots of his old Howard Roberts model.

User Info Menu

Hello,

I'm repairing this amp and I'm looking for the schematic.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

User Info Menu

Unfortunatelly I was still not able to repair my amplifier,
    it has some noises in the preamp section,
    I did a video of the problem, please check it out:

If anyone has suggestions or tips that could help me please let me know

thank you so much

User Info Menu

without knowing the particulars of that amp..and how that noise was made..was guitar plugged in??

i'd say the first thing to check...and this goes for many modern amps..esp ss amps...many times the input jack is a type soldered directly to the circuit board...with plugging and unplugging the guitar, the solder develops hairline cracks...and noise like that occurs

if your input jack is indeed soldered directly to the circuit board,check it carefully...usually a resoldering will take care of it...or better yet get a non circuit board mounted switchcraft input jack and wire it to the board..or have ur tech do it

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

I'm sorry. You should be able to find a good amp tech who can diagnose/repair this amp, even without a schematic. Amps are not all that different, when you get right down to it. A good tech can put it on the bench, look at it, scope it and figure things out pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    without knowing the particulars of that amp..and how that noise was made..was guitar plugged in??
    sorry, the details are in the video description I should have posted them here:

I'm trying to fix this amplifier, it has some random noises that randomly blow. the noise are with the guitar plugin in or not. It doesn't matter if the guitar has volume or not also. I guess the problem is from the preamp because if I plug anything into the Power amp only the noise disappears. Also, I'm using an Audio probe at the moment, and the last preamp opamp's output just before the Power amp has the noise there, so it should be before that. If you have any tips or experience in fixing Peterson guitar amps let me know something Thank you so much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I'm sorry. You should be able to find a good amp tech who can diagnose/repair this amp, even without a schematic.
    I'm a good amp tech.
    The amplifier was already checked and abandoned by 2 good amp techs before me.

Amps are not all that different, when you get right down to it.. A good tech can put it on the bench, look at it, scope it and figure things out pretty quickly.
    Quite wrong mate.
    Amplifier circuits can be quite different, specially solid state circuitry.

A good tech can put it on the bench, look at it, scope it and figure things out pretty quickly.
    Wrong again mate.
    Difficult boards and layouts, boards with no component identification silkscreen, intermittent problems.
    All of that together make some repairs really difficult and taking a long time.

"Figuring things out pretty quickly" is not the norm in the repair world, that's the norm of what the inexperienced costumers think

Regards

User Info Menu

check that input solder joint!...if noise is in the preamp section, that is the first thing (literally) to check

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

check that input solder joint!...if noise is in the preamp section, that is the first thing (literally) to check

luck

cheers
    The noise is coming from an amplifier section, not from the input jack.
    The noise is the same with the input jack disconnected from the circuit pcb

User Info Menu

coulda said that the first time!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

coulda said that the first time!! haha

cheers
    Did you listen to the noise in the video?

that type of noise is not from an input jack, if it was any simple fault with the input jack the amp would be fixed already 2 years ago

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's assassociated with that last chip. What IC is it?

User Info Menu

always nice to try to help..and get pissed on...luck bub

if after 2 years u havent fixed it, ur not as mighty as u think

pretty arrogant for 8 posts

and jackweed, thats exactly the sound u get from a bad input jack!!

User Info Menu

always nice to try to help..and get pissed on...luck bub

if after 2 years u havent fixed it, ur not as mighty as u think
    pretty arrogant for 8 posts

and jackweed, thats exactly the sound u get from a bad input jack!![/QUOTE]

No one pretended to be mighty, and I'm sorry but you don't know much about amplifiers circuit noise.

moving on, if someone had the same problem in a Peterson amp please let me know something.
    If I fix the amp in the meanwhile I will report back and tell my findings so that they can help others in the future

thanks

User Info Menu

yeah nice comeback, einstein

see you in two years,
    when your posting broken peterson amp in our for sale forum

cheers