The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    First of all hello, as I am new to this forum.
    I am playing an electric nylon string guitar (a godin type guitar, the crafter CT125c: the only left handed guitar of this type - yes I'm a lefty).
    I can only play through headphones as I am playing late at night and my neighbours don't like my music so much.

Here's my question: what kind of multi effects should I use to get a nice sound from this guitar + headphones?

Currently I am using the pod 2.0+yamaha magicstomp. It's OK but not perfect.

I play fingerstyle jazz, Earl Klugh type and other styles like C Atkins or Baden Powell.
    THanks for your help!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For an acoustic guitar sound you want to be able to skip the amp modeling and cabinet modeling and just use the effects and eq.

Does a pod let you do that?

Then play with these effects: 1) reverb, or 2) reverb and delay, or 3) reverb, delay and chorus. Just use effects sparingly so it still sounds natural and acoustic.

User Info Menu

I used to use Boss GT-6,8, and 10 floor processors over the years. At that time (I saw one last year for sale in a store as NOS) Boss made a floor processor for acousric guitar uses that was a lot like a GT-3 in size, but I forget the model number.

After my nylon electric Carvin's Fishman Matrix control box blew I couldn't afford to fix it OEM, so replaced it with a "Natural 1" unit that needed outboard help to de-quack and get a better sound from. I bought a BBE Sonic Stomp for pretty cheap and that got the sound acceptable, but has no processing like reverb or anything.

User Info Menu

Use the any Hi-Fi equipments for nylon & steel strings acoustic guitar.

Don't use the electric guitar's equipments for good sound
    Last edited by kawa; 11-05-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks for the answers.
    I read that on a yamaha silent guitar you can plug the headphones directly on the guitar!
    Unfortunately, they don't make it lefty...

Archie Guest
    I have a Silent Guitar. Yes, you can plug the headphones right into it. It has built-in reverb, but it is a bit hissy. It also has an output for plugging into an amplifier. You can run it on a battery or plug it into a wall adapter.

I just had a look at it. The two composite "wings" plug into the central neck/body block. It wouldn't be difficult to convert it for left-handed use, although the controls would be on the bottom instead of the top when you flip it over.

I think it's a very good design, but the electronic module is cheaply constructed. It sounds ok, but it wouldn't have taken much to make it great.
    Last edited by Archie; 11-07-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks,
    That's might be an option.
    But It would be least expensive to keep my guitar and find a good effect!

User Info Menu

Last edited by kawa; 11-07-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antzoul
    Nice!
    OK !, and next "Headphone", please use any Hi-Fi equipments output.
    (Guitar→ADI21→some one→Headphone)
    I checked Zoom A2 and A2.1, not good.
    Last edited by kawa; 11-07-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kawa
    OK !, and next "Headphone", please use any Hi-Fi equipments output.
    (Guitar→ADI21→some one→Headphone)
    I checked Zoom A2 and A2.1, not good.
    Question: can't you plug the guitar directly in the ADI21?
    When you say hi fi equipment, is a Pod 2.0 OK (don(t have any hi fi equipment!).

User Info Menu

Nylon Electric → ADI21 (Direct OK !)

ADI21 → AUX, kind of some portable audio which has AUX & Headphone OUTPUT → Headphone

POD 2.0 is OK, but blunt (Electric Guitars needs blunt for good sound)

What does blunt mean? (I am not so good in english)!

User Info Menu

means: to grow dull etc.
    Nylon Electric needs edge.

User Info Menu

Hi fi vs. low fi

Electric guitars since the beginning have been amplified with low fi amps that are heavy on the midrange. That has become the accepted sound for electric guitars and that is the sound you'll get out of an electric guitar amp or an electric guitar amp simulation from your pod.

The sound people want from an acoustic guitar is that natural sound, the same as the unamplified sound but louder. So, you need a full range hi fi amplification to get that sound.

User Info Menu

I'm using a Fishman Aura into a Fender Acoustasonic Ultralite head and cab. The acoustic amp is key to getting a good sound from your guitar. You may not need any modelling such as the Aura, but it makes the piezo pickups souns much more natural. Acoustic amps, being SS, typically have a headphone output.

User Info Menu

for an example in this forum Nylon String amplification

I like nylon string sound very much, I don't use any effect for good sound.

Crafter CT125C Natural Sound

with effect

youtube "crafter ct125c" key-in, 1st page YouTube - crafter ct125c

"electric nylon" 1st page YouTube - electric nylon

antzoul, you can get the good sound by adjusting the set-up of CT125C's EQURISER and POD's setting, please try its.

for example: in case of use the electric guitar amps for nylon electric, decrease the Mid of guitar and amps.
    Last edited by kawa; 11-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Reverb is the only effect I would use on nylon.
    You need a good guitar, for instance a Godin or a taylor, a good amp-AER or polytone works well. I prefer the T.C electronics NOVA reverb, especially the tin plate setting. I couldn't imagine needing anything else in either a professional performance or recording session or in a practice session. I usually practice nylon strings without amps.

Thanks for all this usefull information.
    Remenber my initial question was regarding the headphones.
    I have a acoustic amp (ibanez troubadour) but without headphones output.
    I am looking for a fairly chaep device (up to 100$) for playing with headphones.
    I saw something called vox amplug acoustic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antzoul
    Thanks for all this usefull information.
    Remenber my initial question was regarding the headphones.
    I have a acoustic amp (ibanez troubadour) but without headphones output.
    I am looking for a fairly chaep device (up to 100$) for playing with headphones.
    I saw something called vox amplug acoustic.
    Good afternoon, antzoul...
    I use a Vox Amplug, standard model. I can't vouch for its absolute performance for acoustic, but as a practice amp in general, it's great. Very light, unobstrusive, and although I am not personally a great fan of AC30 amps generally (rather Fender or Roland...), I can find decent enough sounds for my headset playing. I imagine that the acoustic version would be of similar sonic quality.
    I use rechargeable accus instead of batteries as I thought it would 'eat' them, but have been very surprised by the low consumption. I've changed accus twice since getting it, about 8 months ago (and I've been using it a lot..!).
    It also gives a good sound for fretless bass..!.
    In short, highly recommended, at a price that can't be beaten.
    Anyway, that's my two pence worth...
    Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Last edited by kawa; 08-28-2019 at 06:08 PM.

User Info Menu

I gig with a godin multiac duet/electric and use a Zoom A3 processor. Beautiful, natural sound with just a touch of hall reverb and a little stereo chorus. You can listen at www.lewisandklark.com

User Info Menu

I use a Frameworks Nylon String and a Yamaha THR5A . Great little practice/offstage amp it has a headphone jack and a USB which allows you to use the supplied software to access controls with deeper variability than those on the amp alone - which are already fine. Also come with Cubase Lite which lets you record/edit or loop. I go through a Roland VGEX which has fantastic tone shaping possibilities if you want to really explore and an Empress ParaEq which allows for some great delicate before the amp tone fine tuning . Hope that helps

Will

User Info Menu

zoom a3 with a little tweaking sounds amazing with RMC pickups, as on a Godin. Nylon-string guitars should go through hi-fi, like Bose Compact, rather than guitar amp.