The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hoffman
    Just curious. WHY a Tele and not a Strat? Isn't a Stratocaster more comfy to hold? Doesn't it have more of a midrangey note than a Telecaster?
    After big archtops, I find the contour cuts on a Strat place the body and the strings too close to me! If you want, however, you can get a Tele with contour cuts, or mod the body.

If you're comparing jazz tones of a Strat versus a Tele, I think you have to compare neck pickup to neck pickup and I like the Tele's better. ymmv

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tele neck pup is a very different beast from a strat. Strat neck pickup sounds all "sproingy," everything comes out all Jimi Ray Vaughn.

As for comfort, that's subjective...I find a tele much more comfortable than a strat. Actually, I dislike just about everything about a strat...that makes me a minority, I know...

As to why not a 335-style, I think it's just a matter of preference--or cost! You can piece together a damn nice tele for 1k--I'm talking a professional instrument in every aspect.

And like I said before, I'd much rather traverse Chicago's subways and icy sidewalks with a tele than a 335...Ever seen a Gibson that got dropped on a sidewalk?

User Info Menu

Close--- I had an Ibanez AS-103 strung with George Benson Flat 13's. I had just installed strap locks, and, ironically, the first time I put it on, I accidentally tripped the button on the neck-end lock. The 103 hit the ground headstock first, and splintered all around the nut! It would have been even morse if it had fallen on the body end!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    .If you're comparing jazz tones of a Strat versus a Tele, I think you have to compare neck pickup to neck pickup and I like the Tele's better. ymmv
    A "non"-Strat like the one posted 3rd post from last on this page, yeah: Solid Body Jazz Guitar

A standard Strat with the vibrato routing will not get close to a Tele. I know, because I've tried. However much you play with EQ, you're getting that underlying "sproing" from the trem cavity. (I see that word is common currency).

Maybe a hardtail Strat with Tele pickups .....and bridge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    A...Maybe a hardtail Strat with Tele pickups .....and bridge
    Yeah I once had a hardtail strat with two pickguards: one with two full size humbuckers.
    And I put graphtech saddles on it to further subdue the high end "ping."

I have seen (author) Jim Ferguson use a stock Strat with 10-46's on it and he made it sound like a jazz guitar.

It ain't the arrow. It's the Indian!

User Info Menu

I have a Joe Beck Cort guitar that I bought for $300 on ebay. It's all laminate, but you can pull jazz sounds from traditional to modern on it.

As for "carved" jazz guitars, for a $1000 look for used Ibanez George Benson or Ibanez Pat Metheny -- it's possible to find one for around that if you're really lucky. Same with the old Guild (I think someone already mentioned the X-170).

Are there any Heritages around $1000 -- you might find an old Heritage Eagle (classic, not the Golden) for that much. If you do, swap out the Schallers for something like Gibson 57 PAFs. Actuallly, any electric you get for that cheap could probably use a pup upgrade (I'm sure there are exceptions).

Look at completed auctions on ebay to get a sense of what you might have to pay for the kind of guitar you're looking for.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll find something you'll be happy with. After all, the world is awash in electric guitars.

User Info Menu

I'd be surprised if you found a Heritage for $1,000. If you did, and it had Schaller humbuckers, I would spend some time with it before deciding to swap them out. Some time ago, there was a thread at the Heritage forum about these pickups (which are modelled after the PAFs), so I said a clip is worth a thousand words and posted one of my H150 solid body loaded with said. The response was unanimous, even from the (supposed) "haters": nothing wrong with Schallers at all.

User Info Menu

I should have been clearer before: I meant a used Heritage. That may still be a pipedream. I looked on ebay and the cheapest Heritage archtop went for $1200. So, it would be tough.

Re: Schallers. I'm in the (supposed) hate camp. At least the schallers that came with my Heritage Eagle Classic that I bought in 2002 or so. I spent 6 mos. trying to get a good tone out of them, so I swapped out the neck pickup with a 57 PAF and was much happier. I've also heard a Golden Eagle with schallers live and thought the sound was flat and unresponsive. To each his own.

I'd love to hear your clip, but is it fair to compare how a solidbody's pickup sounds to an archtop with the same pickup? It seems to me that the demands on the pickups are very different on different instruments. But I really don't know and would be interested in what others think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bebopluvr
    ...is it fair to compare how a solidbody's pickup sounds to an archtop with the same pickup? It seems to me that the demands on the pickups are very different on different instruments. But I really don't know and would be interested in what others think.
    Best sounding Les Paul type guitar I ever had was a Heritage H-140 (thin body) with Schallers.

But a couple Eagles I've had were unable to get any of the juicy nuance I like in a so-called jazz tone.

To be fair, I thought the newer Heritage HRW pickups (made to Rendal Whal's spec by Schaller) on an H-575 I had were a huge improvement.

User Info Menu

Hi bebopluvr. Yes, I knew you were referring to a used Heritage.

Actually, what you're saying about standard Schallers in a hollow body does ring a bell, also what backliner says about the HRWs. Sadly, I have no experience of a Heritage hollow body. At the time of acquiring it, my H150 solid body was probably one of the only examples of the make for sale in Spain.

Anyway, if you'd like to hear the clip, here it is. It was a noodle over a canned backing track I did for another forum some time ago:
    Last edited by Peter C; 12-03-2010 at 07:07 AM.

I would appreciate receiving opinions on the best and appropriate semi-hollow and archtop jazz guitars under $1000. Going to invest in a jazz guitar and being a beginner (at any guitar) would like to learn from established players. Looking for that distinctive cool, mellow jazz sound. I live in Toronto and have access to all brands and the assortment of available guitars is overwhelming. Thanks very much. Andrew

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum !

The Ibanez Artcore and Artstar series are great value for money and there's lots of choice under $1000. However, as you are in Canada you should look at the Godin 5th Avenue series. Again - great bang per buck. The lower priced ones may not give you exactly the jazz tone you are looking for (although pretty close), but if you can stretch to the 5th Ave Composer GT, you will have a more traditional jazz box.

Also there has recently been excellent pricing on D'Angelico EXL-1 in the US - you may still find one of those at a really great price if you look hard.

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-dangelico-exl-1-jpg

User Info Menu

My suggestion is based on my own experience, just that. The Epiphone ES-175 Premium, is a great guitar, and a great basis for a few mods that will still keep the guitar under the 1000, I believe.

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-epiphone-es-175-jpg

On mine I left the pickups (Gibson Classic 57) and replaced all the electronics (pots, caps, wiring), plus the tuners and a bone nut. The reason I did it was because the guitar "spoke" to me; for me the only real things I care on a guitar are (besides a flawless truss rod) that the body/beck feel right, that the guitar reacts to my style of playing in a pleasant way, and that makes me want to play it.

When I tried it at a store I ended up forgetting about time for a while, it felt good - and the setup was really off and the strings were far from mine; but the whole thing worked. It is a guitar I want to play, if that makes sense. I have other guitars, more expensive, better built, with better components, but that do not call me to play. So for me that's the key.

If you have the chance to try a great number of guitars, do that. Take your notes, come back to try again the ones that caused an impression. For me that's what lasts.

I have since acquired a Gibson ES-175 that I really love to play, but the Epiphone wasn't set aside. Sometimes I want to play the Epiphone and just not the Gibson. For me it's a great guitar.

Again, I'm sure the guys here will come forward with great suggestions - so my advice is, if a guitar speaks to you it's a keeper. Later you may change any components you may wish!

User Info Menu

On the semi front, I was impressed with the Godin Montreal Premiere. Not the stock p/us. As it came to me, painfully bright. But the guitar itself is interesting, well thought out. Especially that inverted trestle/carved block. Looks like a roman bridge. Adds a perfect something to the sound. I only sold mine cause I got a Heritage H575, and knew I'd be spending more time with bigger guitars.

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-godin-montreal-premiere-jpg

User Info Menu

Epiphone Sheraton! IIRC the newer pro models have coil splitting(?). I think it's a great value-for money guitar, which is why I've got one that I use in place of my Gibson ES if I need to travel, and for practicing at home.

User Info Menu

Used Eastmans can be great bang for the buck. As said Godins get a lot of love too.

Someone said an Epi 175 and now I'm wondering about a few local ones on my CL ha ha, must resist.

That Epi pictured above is a beauty. That's a Sheraton eh? Very nice. I love the tree of life whatever it's called.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender
    Someone said an Epi 175 and now I'm wondering about a few local ones on my CL ha ha, must resist.
    "resistance is futile"

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-epi175-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    - so my advice is, if a guitar speaks to you it's a keeper. Later you may change any components you may wish!
    Great advice. A guitar that inspires you to play is a guitar that helps make you a better guitarist ... it'll bring out your best no matter where you are in your development.

User Info Menu

New or used all of these are a GR8 bang for the buck.

Semi hollow: Epi Sheraton, Peerless hardtail, Ibanez AS-103 or AS-153, Eastman T-486

Hollow: Epi Joe Pass, Gretsch Electromatics, Ibanez AF-100 model numbers on up.

User Info Menu

I really like my Eastman AR-371. With flatwounds and a pickup swap it sounds wonderful, and the neck is fast and feels great.

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-eastman-ar371-jpg

User Info Menu

There is some good advice in this thread. Lots of alternatives to choose from. The best advice is to choose the one that makes you FEEL best because you will play it more. I have an Ibanez AF105 that I love. It fights for playing time with a Hagstrom HL550 Matte. If you can find a Hagstrom try it. I didn't like either of the laminated versions but I am in love with the Matte version.

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-ibanez-af105-jpg

User Info Menu

Check out my thread on my Ibanez AF55. It's under $300 even, but I stuck better PUs in it and now it can pass for a much more expensive guitar.

Here's the thread:

NGD: Ibanez AF55

User Info Menu

Dang it Jay...stop turning everybody onto those. You'll drive the price up before I can snag one. XP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Ibanez PM2 and AFC151 Great Guitars for the money!

Best Jazz Guitar Under 00-ibanez-pm2-jpg

User Info Menu

First of all I second what everyone else said: you have to try a handful yourself. “Jazz guitar” is such a generic term, and I feel that there is more difference between a high-strung acoustic archtop and an ES-335-type guitar than there is between a 335-type and a telecaster! Which – believe it or not – is a jazz guitar if you go for warm, sustained tones. So there is no shortcut, you have to do a lot of listening to see what sound(s) you’re after and to feel what guitars speak to you: what neck is comfortable, what sound is good, etc…

Second: when buying an electric guitar, the “bones” are more important than the sound: if you’re not crazy about the pickups of a guitar you can change them (or have them changed) relatively easy. If you don’t like the neck of your guitar, or the feel of its body, you’ll just have to sell it. Besides, a big part of your sound will be your amp: don’t buy a 1000$ electric guitar and a 100$ amp… you’ll sound like crap. Spend well in both departments.

Which leads to … third: buy used if you can: you get better gear, for less money, and you lose less money should you want to sell down the way. If you’re unsure and you fear being had, buy from a good shop. In Toronto, you have wonderful shops, including Capsule Music and Shyboy and Tex… go talk to these gentlemen!

Fourth and last (I promise): the set-up is so important to how a guitar sounds and feels, so (a) when you try a guitar, you like it, but think the sting action is too high, think also that if the guitar is OK action can be lowered, and (b) factor in the few bucks it takes to have the guitar set-up to your preferences when you buy it – it makes a difference!

All of that said, models I have tried and liked in my quest for archtops:
    - Epiphone Broadway: it’s big (a copy of an L-5), doesn’t have a great acoustic sound, but if you go for “big and warm” that’s the way to go. Mine is a lovely piece of wood… nice neck! The pickups are meh, but I haven’t gotten around to change them yet; it’s a very good “beginner jazz guitar” and can be made into a very good jazz guitar period;
    - The Ibañez PM2 I have tried is also very nice… don’t be put off by the fact that it has just one pickup: that’s basically all you’ll use.
    - If you go for a more “swing/early jazz” vibe, I’ve heard good things of the Guild A-150;
    - By all means, try a telecaster: neck pickup, a bit of volume roll-off, and you’re good to go. Best models for the buck: Squier Classic Vibe and (most of all) Baja telecaster, in the 50s and 60s version;
    - If you like a “little thinline” with some character, again more for swing jazz than for big Wes Montgomery tone, I’d try out one of the Epiphone 1966 Century… I’ve held one and I thought that it had a nice neck and an acoustic sound as good if not better than the one of many other bigger archtops;
    - If you want an acoustic archtop: the Loar 600 or 700, used (or Eastman, but they’re pricier)
    - Last but not least: try Godin… you’re in Canada for Pete’s sake !