The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Keep looking for a good used guitar...For $2000 there are a lot of options out there.
    I just bought my secong Triggs jazz box. The first one was a 16 in model with built in Tom Holmes HB..those pickups are $300 a piece...and got the guitar for $1700. My second Triggs is a 17 in model with Kent Armstrong floating pickup...$1800.

These are hand made in the USA by JIm Triggs, who was the manager of tehGibson Custom shop for many years before going out on his own in 1998.

I also have 1977 es-175..bought it for $1400...

Nothing against the Chinese stuff but really, I dont think they hold up against the Gibson or Triggs IMHO... certainly not in re=sale value.

Heritage is great..Friend of mine has some Guilds..great guitars, but I am not a big fan of the Filtertron pickups..too bright for my ears.

Keep looking on the web/eBay...there are some really good deals out there...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"some Guilds..great guitars, but I am not a big fan of the Filtertron pickups"

Mixing up Guild and Gretsch here ? The FilterTron is a Gretsch pickup with very low impendance, and indeed intended to sound a bit in between a single coil and a humbucker

The Guild jazz guitars usually feature a HB (Jimmy D'Aquisto used Guild HBs on most of his electrics....)

User Info Menu

Sorry..my mistake....you are correct.

He has a guild x-150 and a Gretsch....His Guild sounds pretty jazzy...

User Info Menu

Boy, if I had two grand to spend...man, oh man. Your problem is that there will be too many choices, as exemplified by the listings here. So:

*where do you live? Do you have shops that you can try sampling all of this candy?

*Playing is the key. Do NOT buy a guitar without playing it. Do NOT be seduced by the headstock, the pictures, your guitarlust. Play it. If you can't play it, don't buy it. No exceptions.

*If you want a full hollow body guitar, Heritage, Guild, and Eastman are going to be the leading contenders in your price range. If you want a semi-hollow (a market I don't know as well), then Guild, Eastman, Heritage, and Ibanez willl all be contenders, along with some obscure interesting alternatives (e.g., the old Hagstrom Viking, a *Swedish* guitar!).

*I assume you have a good amp. It is a whole different can of worms, amps, but it matters. If you can't buy the amp you want anytime soon, then play the guitars you're looking at with your amp. Yup, you gotta drag the heavy sonuvabitch to the store and plug it in. Remember, you'll be playing it on your amp at home, not the one in the store the crafty salesperson plugged it into.

Finally: have fun. You have a problem most of us wish we had.

User Info Menu

Robert Conti Guitar (made by Peerless I think)...
    $1,949.00

The Equity Edition Jazz Guitar by Robert Conti | Robert Conti Jazz Guitar

With Henrikson Jazz Amp:
    $2,489.00

Equity Edition + Henriksen JazzAmp | Robert Conti Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

David:

Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger or not, but I thought I'd ask a question: If you like your current Agile, why not get another one? For $500 you can get the Agile Cool Cat Prestige. That has a few nice things like ebony fingerboard and abalone inlays. I mean, for that price, you probably can't go wrong. Worse-case scenario is that you send it back and you are out shipping costs. Most reviews of Agile Les Paul clones say they are a better guitar for a third of the price, so perhaps the Cool Cat Prestige would prove to be as good? That will leave you $1500 for a nice AES, Jazzkat or similar amp.

Frank Black

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

EASTMAN EASTMAN!!
    But seriously, i have a Eastman 805ce witch i modified a bit. I Replaced the pickup with SD antiquity humbucker, got a metal bridge and equipped the guitar with soundposts connecting the top and back.

Feedback is not a problem because of the soundposts, it is more "electric" sounding than the original witch is what i was going for but the character of the guitar remains.
    Got it for 1200$ on ebay and spent around 300$ on the modifications and it beats my 5000$ Gibson semi-hollow any day. Both in terms of craftmanship, playability and tone. Although it´s offcourse not possible to compare so different guitars in terms of tone

You can hear how it sounds here if this is something that interests you:
    myspace.com/rafnemils