The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I play a Squier classic vibe tele thru a Micro Cube. It sounds fine and I love that I can set it up anywhere in the house. Makes playing an electric as easy as sitting down with an acoustic. Anyway, what would be a step up from this little amp that would sound better but not be overkill for playing at home. Would moving up to something like a Princeton Reissue or even Deluxe Rev. RI be too much? Or maybe just a bigger cube like a 40XL?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Folks gigs with the DRRI -- even the PRRI. What sorts of features and qualities are you looking for? Tubes?

User Info Menu

Yeah, I guess tubes. I like to play mostly clean with modest amounts of reverb, chorus and maybe delay. So I guess I want a clean sound but much fuller than the little cube.

User Info Menu

You could look at the Blues Jr. For home use its 15 watts of tube power with a nice big 12" speaker. I use a Cube 20X in the bedroom for practice with a Strat, Epi Dot and an Aria 17" hollowbody, clean channel & sometimes a touch of reverb.

Archie Guest
    I have a PRRI and a Tech 21 Trademark 30. The Tech 21 sounds pretty good, but the PRRI definitely sounds better to me.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest one of the larger Cubes. You may find a tube amp to be a bit uninspiring at home volumes.

User Info Menu

Even a small tube amp won't give me a good clean sound?

User Info Menu

Tubes usually need to be pushed harder(louder) to achieve that sweet spot in their tone. If you're eager for tubes, find an amp with a selector to reduce wattage. Even five watts with a 10-12" speaker is a LOUD amp.

User Info Menu

I think it really depends on what models you like on your cube. If you use different models, try a step up in the cube series, or the Vox VT15 or 30.

The Vox VT's have a 12AX7 tube and though it doesn't sound like a Deluxe Reverb exactly, neither would any Cube. You do get a "tube response" with the VT's, but not as pronounced as compared to genuine tube amp. The nice thing about the VT30 in particular, is that it has an adjustable wattage output, so you can find that "sweet spot" and keep the volume low.

Fender Super Champ XD might be something to look into also, as it is a tube amp and is more likely to get you closer to the Deluxe Reverb sound you're after because it IS a Fender, and it's lower in wattage than the Deluxe, which will be a delight to neighbors and loved ones..

User Info Menu

The models I use on my cube are mostly the JC120 and the black panel. Effects wise, I like to use reverb,tremelo and chorus.

User Info Menu

Just for the sport of it, are you able to play through some amps at a local shop? Be a great way to zero in on the sound you want.

User Info Menu

There are several levels of Cubes to through finding the right one with regards to power.

I, like you, started with a MicroCube. It was a gift from my father in law. I absolutely loved the sound from it. I loved it so much that I just had to try the larger ones. I sold my Vox, which I loved, for the 80x. Now the MicroCube sits on my piano in the den and my 80x stays ready to go.

The major advantage of the Cube series is the cost vs quality of make vs quality of tone.

User Info Menu

I do like the micro cube and I know I mentioned the 40XL earlier but my problem with the cubes is that I feel like I'm paying for a lot of functionality that I'll never use. As I said before I really only use the JC120 and Black Face models. That's why I mentioned the Princeton. I figure with that amp and a good chorus pedal I'd be set for a while.

User Info Menu

You might also look into a used Princeton Chorus which is a SS 50 watt 2X10, great reverb and chorus aboard. I bought one for less than $170 a few months ago. I like it with all my guitars.

User Info Menu

What about something like the VHT Special Combo 6. It's a 6 watt amp that is hand wired in China. Anyone play one?

User Info Menu

I found a few orange cube 60's and a 20. Is there any advantage other than price for buying one of these older cubes. Would the newer cube 60 be a better buy? I like these cubes and will keep my micro for it's portability but a fuller sounding amp would be nice. Sometimes I think I should just go for the 80XL but that might be over kill for home use but then if I ever gig I suppose I wouldn't need another amp....

User Info Menu

I'm in the process of downsizing so I've been checking out different options.

I'm selling a Victoria Regal II. It's a stellar amp but I just don't have the need for it's size and power (5 to 35 watts) any more.

I also have a Cube 30X and haven't quite been able to dial in the sounds that I like.

I'm considering a Princeton Reverb reissue at the moment, but I haven't ruled out SS amps either. tube snobbery gets expen$ive. Also looking for a used Carr Mercury that's switchable from 8 watts down to 1/10 of a watt. I have used the Mercury with a bass/piano/drums/sax group and was able to do that gig with the Mercury set to the 2 watt setting. It was wonderful and I was stupid to sell it.

Fender also has a fairly new modeling amp called the Mustang that looks interesting.

I'll be watching this thread as well.
    Last edited by Flyin' Brian; 09-24-2010 at 11:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BobD
    I play a Squier classic vibe tele thru a Micro Cube. It sounds fine and I love that I can set it up anywhere in the house. Makes playing an electric as easy as sitting down with an acoustic. Anyway, what would be a step up from this little amp that would sound better but not be overkill for playing at home. Would moving up to something like a Princeton Reissue or even Deluxe Rev. RI be too much? Or maybe just a bigger cube like a 40XL?
    Depends upon your budget.

If you like the tube break-up you get at volume level 4+ on a Deluxe Rev. for that 60s bluesy sound then go for it. If you like clean sound all the way then a Tomkat is a very neat little solid state amp with a switchable tube pre-amp just to give it that extra zing if you want it. Both are suitable for a club gig.

If you're budget constrained then go for the bigger Cube.