The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I realize A) there is no singular jazz sound but also B) it is a common request on this board for the best pickup/guitar for a "smooth jazz tone". I am asking the opposite: what is a good floating humbucker pickup that has a very clear, articulate sound not unlike the DeArmond 2k / DA Gold Foil / DA Guitar Mike / TV Jones miscellany. I know the above examples have stronger magnets which is why they sound the way they do, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what i am after. thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Spiral,
    Try some Kent Armstrog´s minihumbucker or that other one. It has imo too sparkling sound, so i removed it. It was on my one old Levin. Schalller is not a humbucker. KA´s minihubuckers have I on my two guitars. They work fine.
    Jazz Pickup (3280) | Schaller-Electronic
    cheers
    juuso1

User Info Menu

The Kent Armstrong minihumbuckers are really great as juuso1 said.
    I've got one in my Furch. Really brings out the acoustic qualities of the instrument.

User Info Menu

Hello,
    Here is an exsample of my wooden pickgard with schallerpickup.

cheers juuso1

User Info Menu

You might consider a Shadow AZ48 as well. Good luck (and let us know what you decide).

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Kent Armstrong humbucker now (the "ebonized" one) and it is pretty good but would like a little more clarity. I'm assuming they are not all the same.

@Juuso1: You said the Schaller pickup is NOT a humbucker? It seems interesting to me but i think noise would be an issue. I have terrible interference in my studio so i can't use single coils. They make the current Hofner Diamond pickups which are beautiful sounding. Those are humbuckers.

@Tom Karol: Is the Shadow a passive pickup? I guess since it looks like the EMG i assumed it was active.

User Info Menu

The Shadow is passive. (MF has them.)

User Info Menu

A good suggestion Tom ... and thanks for the clarification. Found a clip with the Shadow AZ48:

User Info Menu

Check out Kent's single coil which is a bit of a modern interpretation of the DeArmond. Single coil often translates to clarity. You can find them at archtop.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Check out Kent's single coil which is a bit of a modern interpretation of the DeArmond. Single coil often translates to clarity. You can find them at archtop.com
    Thanks. I own the pickup you are talking about. It is too noisy which is why i was looking for a humbucker.

User Info Menu

Random thought: does anyone make a low impedance floating pickup? EMG?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Random thought: does anyone make a low impedance floating pickup? EMG?
    Yep... EMG. Haven't tried it, but looks interesting.

As far as the original question, you can sometimes find Gretsch floaters on eBay, like this one. Don't know if that's the sound you're looking for... also, I notice they list it as a single coil, which probably doesn't help.
    Last edited by goshawk; 08-26-2010 at 04:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! I usually think of EMG as metal pickups. I never would have guessed they made a floater.

User Info Menu

Here's a Youtube link to Attila Zoller playing a song he wrote (When It's Time) on his signature guitar (Framus, I think - I believe he also had a Hofner signature model at one time) using a pickup he designed and installed (AZ48) strung with strings he designed (LaBella Flatwound 13's):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Here's a Youtube link to Attila Zoller playing a song he wrote (When It's Time) on his signature guitar (Framus, I think - I believe he also had a Hofner signature model at one time) using a pickup he designed and installed (AZ48) strung with strings he designed (LaBella Flatwound 13's):
    I love that sound. Look at his hands! He could crush my head with just one of them.

User Info Menu

For clear and natural I like the Kent Armstrong floating single coil. On my Grimes Montreux it does a pretty good imitation of the acoustic sound of the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    For clear and natural I like the Kent Armstrong floating single coil. On my Grimes Montreux it does a pretty good imitation of the acoustic sound of the guitar.
    Thanks. I already own that pickup and am looking for something will less interference.

Have you considered a floating HB pickup voiced to sound like a Charlie Christian or a P90? Pete at Vintage Vibe does some pretty killer custom stuff at a great price. He''s very helpful and responsive, I'd shoot him an email and ask see what he has to say.

User Info Menu

I emailed Schaller last week about their floating Western/Jazz pickup and it is a humbucker. I know they made the Hofner Diamond pickup which i am a big fan of.

amusia: i only know the Vintage Vibe that sells Wurli electric piano parts. The P90 is close to what i am seeking. Any floating options from Pete?

thanks.
    Last edited by spiral; 09-03-2010 at 12:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I have Kent mini bucker on my Hofner very thin classic and it's very clear a great pickup.

User Info Menu

Spiral,
    Thank you for letting me know that schaller is a bucker. I didn´t know that, but for sure it had too bright sound imo. May be I try it sometimes again.
    cheers juuso1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    I realize A) there is no singular jazz sound but also B) it is a common request on this board for the best pickup/guitar for a "smooth jazz tone.
    I spend a lot of time around these parts and I've never heard anyone say they are looking for a pu to get a "smooth jazz tone".

What is a smooth jazz tone anyways?

Is it Pat Metheny on a ES175?
    Is it Earl Klugh on a nylon string?
    Is it George Benson on a hollow body?
    Is it Larry Carlton playing a ES335?
    Is it Robben Ford playing his Les Paul gold top?
    Is it Jeff Golub playing a Strat?

But for a clean articulate sound, have you considered mixing a humbucker with a piezo. There's a guy in San Diego that has started doing that and he gets the sound I think you are describing. And I believe Pat Metheny has recently done that also or is he using an internal mic?
    Last edited by fep; 09-03-2010 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Is it Pat Metheny on a ES175? - yes
    Is it Earl Klugh on a nylon string? - no
    Is it George Benson on a hollow body? - yes
    Is it Larry Carlton playing a ES335? - yes
    Is it Robben Ford playing his Les Paul gold top? - yes
    Is it Jeff Golub playing a Strat? - no
    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I spend a lot of time around these parts and I've never heard anyone say they are looking for a pu to get a "smooth jazz tone".

What is a smooth jazz tone anyways?
    That's why i was using quotes and disqualifiers. I think your examples were good.

Help for my first jazz box
    Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    For a quite long time, I always craved for the lush, rounded, smooth, almost liquid sound produced by an archtop guitar
    Gretsch White Falcon- for Jazz???
    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    for some things I like the nasally twangin' tone, but would like to switch to a smooth chord tone pretty easily
    Maybe you would be more familiar with the adjective "warm"? Have you really never seen those adjectives to describe a tone on this board? I figured most people would be familiar with the 4 examples of pickups i listed. Either way, it was a point of reference for a departure of what i don't want.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm going to get the Shadow AZ48 and try to track down the Schaller Western/Jazz and try both. Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    I emailed Schaller last week about their floating Western/Jazz pickup and it is a humbucker. I know they made the Hofner Diamond pickup which i am a big fan of.

amusia: i only know the Vintage Vibe that sells Wurli electric piano parts. The P90 is close to what i am seeking. Any floating options from Pete?

thanks.
    I don't think he has any floaters as stock options, but I have no doubt he could make you one. Even his custom pickups come in at a very reasonable price, you should drop him an email.

vintagevibeguitars@gorge.net

User Info Menu

I remember a thread (either here or on the Tele forum) of someone who got a custom floating Charlie Christian from Vintage Vibe.