The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Anyone compared these two? I'd like something for playing at home as I learn to play. Gonna be getting a MIM tele if that matters.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I honestly have not tried the Mobile but I own the Micro. For what it is, the Micro sounds wonderful. As you might expect, it lacks the bottom end you would have with a single 12 or dual 12 cabinet, but even so, sounds great.

What are you wanting one of these amps for?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    What are you wanting one of these amps for?
    My guess is he'd like something for playing at home as he learns to play.

User Info Menu

Good guess fep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    My guess is he'd like something for playing at home as he learns to play.
    Well, didn't I skip a sentence. haha. Sorry.

In that case, I love the MicroCube. The Mobile is, to me, more of a portable PA unit but may be great for guitar. I can tell you with certainty that, for around the house playing, you really don't need any more than the Micro and the Micro is built solely for the guitar.

The Jazz Chorus, Vox and Fender setting are just fabulous for such a little practice amp.

User Info Menu

The micro cube is one of the best amps for studying because you have lots of sounds within reach. I myself use the cube 60 for studying, rehearsals and small gigs.
    Last edited by Bertrand tB; 08-15-2010 at 10:14 AM.

User Info Menu

To second Bertrand, I have highly been considering forsaking my Vox AC50CP2 for a Cube 80.

The Micro is just so much amp for such a small package.

User Info Menu

I did actually compare the two. I found the micro cube to have a larger "fuller" sound. I very much prefered the micro cube. If you get a chance you should find a music store and give them a comparision listen.

p.s. I got the Street Cube, which is a micro cube plus another channel and an extra speaker. I wanted be able to also run a mic thru it at the same time as a guitar... and I needed it to be battery powered. My orginal purpose was that I was playing an outdoor wedding, about 175 people, on a bluff over the ocean with no electricity. I mic'ed a classical guitar and at the same time ran a second mic for the priest and everyone else that talked. It did a great job and was perfect for that application.

User Info Menu

I've got a mobile cube.

I got it mainly to use as a mini PA for rehearsals (for vocals) and it is really great for that. I was hoping it would double as a mini guitar practice amp too. While it is usable it has a tendency to buzz when low notes are played, particularly if I try to turn it up a bit. It's pretty small and the casing just isn't made for those sort of frequencies I suppose.

I've never tried the micro cube but I would guess that it is much more suitable for guitar. Having said that, I actually use a Cube 30 which I picked up second hand for about the same price as a new micro.

User Info Menu

HI,

I have a micro cube and the micro cube rx. I have had the micro cube for a few years and recently bought the rx. I really think the rx is much better for the clean volume and it can handle the bass notes better than the micro cube. The rx also has a pretty decent drum beat selection and a tuner. THe price however is double, but I think it is worth it after having it for a while.

I also have the Roland Cube 60 and a Blues Junior which are overkill for a small room for practicing. Both are great for playing with others though!

Good luck with your choice.

User Info Menu

I ended up getting the micro cube. It's very nice. Perfect for practicing. I got it in white to match my new CV 50's Telecaster. This is gonna be a great setup for me to learn on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BobD
    I ended up getting the micro cube. It's very nice. Perfect for practicing. I got it in white to match my new CV 50's Telecaster. This is gonna be a great setup for me to learn on.
    I've been using the Micro cube for two years and as already stated this is a very funny and versatile little amp.
    I even made an outdoor gig once, and even at moderate volume I was amazed about how it could rock.

Few reservations however:

As indicated above, it doesn't like clean bass tone from humbuckers as it buzz above moderate volume; to overcome this, you'd better crank the tone control toward treble and set the gain at the minimum, which would obviously restrain the amp headroom.
    But I don't have any problem with the single coils of my Telecaster.
    One last point, autonomy with batteries life is surprisingly high.

User Info Menu

Honestly never used the battery on the MicroCube.

I haven't yet experienced the low end buzz that everyone else has but, then, I also haven't owned it as long as some here. Only about a half year right now.

What got me was that, when I A/B'd the Vox model with my actual Vox, the tones were virtually indistinguishable even with the MicroCube. Now, to be fair, I had the MicroCube sitting on a cabinet so it was getting some low-end enhancement that I know it doesn't have normally.

User Info Menu

i use the microcube on 5 solo gigs a week...hospitals
    the speaker did blow or something went wrong w/ it and a friend put a 6" in it and it sounds incredible for what it is

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hydra
    i use the microcube on 5 solo gigs a week...hospitals
    the speaker did blow or something went wrong w/ it and a friend put a 6" in it and it sounds incredible for what it is
    Did you notice sound improvement from the new speaker?
    I wonder if the buzz could be cured by swaping the stock loudspeaker or if it comes from a digital/ Cosm sound processing artefact.

User Info Menu

new speaker, buzz gone it's the speaker.

the guy who put it in is a physicist and ported it to his specs, that could have something to do with the improved sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hydra
    new speaker, buzz gone it's the speaker.

the guy who put it in is a physicist and ported it to his specs, that could have something to do with the improved sound
    Do you have the spec of the new speaker?

User Info Menu

speaker is a jenson mod 6 about $23
    port size i'd have to check w scott