Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

In your opinion what is the best jazz guitar someone can buy with 600 dollars?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The best for you...you could only answer...many out there that are good in that price range (Oscar Schmidt/Washburn, Hagstrom, Epiphone, more...).

My recommendation is choose well and make sure you get a good setup. putting on a set of Thomastiks doesn't hurt.

PS: my personal choice is Oscar Schmidt OE40

User Info Menu

epiphone emperor regent. i think they might be a little more than 600, but they've got vibe, and they're players--they got a real neck on 'em. release your inner johnny smith.

User Info Menu

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about the Epiphone Elitist (Broadway and Byrdland models). Made in Japan but with lots of Gibson parts. I've played a couple of the lower end models, made in Korea but have not been able to locate the Broadway/Byrdland to play. Has anyone had any experience with these models? Their pricey (list about 2k on the internet) but have been compared favorably to most of the upper end Gibsons. Used ones occasionally turn up on e-bay. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Agree about all the Epiphones...I like the sheraton model. I fell in love with the Oscar Schmidt and my previous archtop was also a washburn. The OE40 is a full size hollowbody (design similar to the Gibson L5).

Eastman and Hagstrom are the best for quality, look and price.
    Ciao

User Info Menu

I have the Epi ES 175 reissue, now straight out the box, the first thing i did was stick Thomstiks 11's on, changed the tuners to Grover Deluxe vintage, and put on an ebony bridge, the setup wasnt too bad at all to begin with, made a slight adjustment to the action and checked the intonation which was on the mark, not bad at all.

Now for the money i have got myself quite a nice guitar, the thing i like about the Epis is their neck, they are exactly what i like in a neck, some meat to them and play nice.

When i started recording with it i had it running thru my POD XT, thru the Roland JC 120 amp model but after a while i then tried running it straight thru, with no amp model, now i can really hear the character of the guitar, am close to the Wes tone, which i think is perfect for jazz, if i were to make one more mod to the guitar i would put in a gibson 57 pickup, but other than that the guitar is great, this guitar is great for recording and didnt cost me great deal, but in the end its what you do with the guitar that counts, the real magic is in the fingers and that thumb for great tone.
    Last edited by symodiezel; 06-16-2008 at 02:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enrico Comaschi View Post
    Eastman and Hagstrom are the best for quality, look and price.
    Ciao
    Hags sound great, but be warned, product support is lacking. got an HJ500 afew months ago-went to their website wrote afew times about getting a new pickguard-not one reply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fred View Post
    I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about the Epiphone Elitist (Broadway and Byrdland models). Made in Japan but with lots of Gibson parts. I've played a couple of the lower end models, made in Korea but have not been able to locate the Broadway/Byrdland to play. Has anyone had any experience with these models? Their pricey (list about 2k on the internet) but have been compared favorably to most of the upper end Gibsons. Used ones occasionally turn up on e-bay. Any thoughts?
    Hi Dr Fed,
    I have tried a Epi Byrdland. They are made very well but I was not impressed with it tone as much as I was with the Emperor Regent. Had I not played a Emperor regent at the same time it would have been O.K. However, I am an archtop lover and I play them acoustically. If you are going to plug it in, then it is a different guitar all together, meaning that for most guitarists today the acoustic sound can go out the door as long as it sound good plugged in. That seems to be the trend now a days. Everything about a guitar is a very personal choice and to put my money where my mouth is, I have three Emperor Regents in my collection plus many other archtops. You can visit my site archtopguitartsandbooks.com and have a look at some of the guitars I own. You can contact me direct at richard@archtopguitarsandbooks.com if you want to talk more about archtops. I would like that.

User Info Menu

If not already mentioned the Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin.
    jam on,
    Terry

User Info Menu

I have deleted my long rant where I vent about the lack of archtops in Montreal Canada.
    Instead.. I ask you this:
    What sound are you looking for? If you dont know (nothing wrong with that), who do you listen to that gives you chills in the tone department. I love the sound of joe pass.. warm and organic. I appreciate Wes' raunch. Johnny Smith has a sweetness to his tone that I appreciate.
    With that we have a better idea of what to recommend.

Cheers

Drew

There's a Washburn J9 made by Samick Korea for $449 on eBay... at least there was last night. It's thin, but it's a full hollowbody.

I'll be putting my J6 (middle of the couch in pic) up on eBay as soon as I get the photos done, but it's got a $900 reserve.
    www.soundclick.com/thecoastalcowboys

"If you don't know what it is, then it must be JAZZ!" --The Legend of 1900

User Info Menu

Ibanez AG or AF..I think those are the ones that are ES 175 copies...

great guitar for the money.. I have two students that have these
    guitars...around $350-$400 american dollars ( in the USA)..

time playing your guitar is wonderful time...pierre

User Info Menu

I have AF105F. great guitar, a lot better for me than last Epi ES175. love it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squint View Post
    There's a Washburn J9 made by Samick Korea for $449 on eBay... at least there was last night. It's thin, but it's a full hollowbody.

I'll be putting my J6 (middle of the couch in pic) up on eBay as soon as I get the photos done, but it's got a $900 reserve.

Hi Squint I see in your photo you have a D'Aquisto Centura. Do you actually have one? If you do I would like to chat to you about this guitar.
    richard@archtopguitarsandbooks.com

User Info Menu

Crafter SA - sort of like a Taylor T5 but with a Kent Armstrong lipstick pickup in the neck position and LRBaggs piezo under the saddle. Has 3-band active EQ, and the 2 pickups can be blended with a slider. I got one with a stunning solid bubinga top for $600 with HS case. It plays great (I am going to have the nut slots deepened just a touch though) - nice neck, fingerboard, & fretwork; intonation (w/ 11's) is excellent. And it sounds like Charlie Christian meets Joe Pass! Pair it with a Roland Cube 60, and you've got a serious Jazz rig for under $1K. Crafter also makes an SAT model (same price) which has a stacked P-90 instead of the lipstick pickup and a conventional control layout. They're a Korean company very popular in the UK, but not so much in the US. My local independent music store (Barnstorm Music II in Medway, MA) just happened to be a dealer.

I got TWO of them, Richard!

Email on the way!
    Both in the rare violin-burst finish.
    One with flatwounds and one with round...

Last edited by Squint; 03-13-2009 at 05:31 PM.

And here's my first attempt to duplicate the fingerrest on the bottom... the one on the top is what I started with...

And after scaling it down even further, it fit my pal's Verithin perfectly!

So after careful consideration and discussion, (one email LOL!), I've decided that the Centuras really are best suited to micing with my Octava M319... at least, for now. Good! Glad THAT's settled!
    Last edited by Squint; 03-13-2009 at 06:41 PM.