The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, what was so cool about the Ibanez AS200 that set it apart from other semi-hollow guitars?

I know Ben Monder plays one, and that John Scofield's guitar is based on this model, which is not being made anymore (the AS200 that is).

How does the AS200 compare to the Scofield Signature model?

Anybody got one?

Ibanez AS200-ibanez-as200-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi there..you probably guessed it but I own a 1981 AS100, which is the 'dot' version of the AS200. The AS200 has fancier appointments, block inlays, coil split for pickups (tri-switch), more binding etc..what makes them great guitars is the fact that they have fantastic necks, sound great (with stock pickups, most people think it's sacrilege to mod them) for various styles and are so well made. And they cost a lot less than a 335, although they're pretty much collector's items now...

Hope that helps

Ibanez AS200-ibanez-as100-jpg

User Info Menu

By the way, Monder plays the smaller bodied one, an AS50 or AS80 I think...as for the differences between the AS100 and the JSM, I think they're mainly cosmetic...bottomline, excellent guitars, both vintage and new...

User Info Menu

Yes, Monder plays an AS50 which is smaller than an As200 or As100.
    It likely has the Super 70 pickups also while the As200 has Super 58's.

Ibanez AS200-ibanez-as50-jpg

I've had an AS100 (killer guitar) and a couple MIK As-80's as well as an ArtCore Custom AS103. My semi these days is a bit of a rare bird. It's
    a MIJ As180 which is like the As200 with less bling.
    You can't go wrong with any of the Ibanez Semis IMHO but the ones of Japanese mfg are just a cut above. Materials, hardware fit and finish are all pro grade.
    The AS200 is just a solid guitar. That particular assemblage of body/center block, neck and ebony board, with those pickups make a great sounding and playing guitar that is very versatile.
    The Sco has some not so apparent differences, the main one being a compound radius fretboard and a rim mounted rather than top mounted jack. They also left off the Tri-sound switch.

User Info Menu

I have an AS200, I think it's a 1978 or 1979...

It's really has fine craftsmanship and sounds great... which is why it was Riteneor's and Scofield's choice of guitar back then... or did they have endorsement deals? I don't know.

I think part of the reason for the popularity of the model is that those guys played them.

User Info Menu

I have an AS50 which I bought several years ago from Wunjos in London lovely guitar and a keeper as it covers jazz and blues as well

User Info Menu

I just acquired a 1981 AS100 and it's been the guitar I've been drooling over for a long time. It's beautifully made, exceptional build quality, Super 58s and mine has a tap switch that makes the middle position of the three-way into an option for middle position single coils. Nice touch, but I probably won't be using it that much.

The feel of this instrument is IMHO every bit as good as a 335 and certainly sounds as good. It's a keeper. A mod made by a previous owner is Schaller machines, which I'd like to change back to the original Ibanez Velve Tune machines if I can find any, but right now it's holding its tuning perfectly and I'm not complaining, just like to find some if there are any out there...

User Info Menu

I bought my 1980 AS-200 last year, and it's the only guitar I've ever owned that I'm 100% sure I will never sell. And I've had a couple of 335s over the years. With 12s through a jazz amp it's sounds awesome. And you could use it for all sorts of stuff as well, be it blues, rock, fusion or jazz.

Great guitars!

User Info Menu

I've been the until few weeks ago only owner of a 1983 AS200 recently sold via e-bay because that guitar laid in its case and was never used. I confirm it is a very versatile instrument, second to none; i know that the guy who now has it, is absolutely satisfied with it. there's some regret and saudade left, because of my decision. Thank you all the forum. This is my first message. Excuse me for my english. Beppe from Italy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I have an AS200, I think it's a 1978 or 1979...

It's really has fine craftsmanship and sounds great... which is why it was Riteneor's and Scofield's choice of guitar back then... or did they have endorsement deals? I don't know.
    Ritenour was one of IBZs first big name endorsements. I'm pretty sure he plugged all his gear on the cover of the Captain Fingers album, including the Ibz.

User Info Menu

great sound!

User Info Menu

To me the AS200 is one of THE nicest sounding 335 types around. Ibanez keeps making them too.

User Info Menu

I would like to put in a plug for the MIJ Tokai ES-335 type and the Seventy-seven Guitar Exrubato too. Anybody looking for a MIJ ES-335 type would do well to consider the Ibanez, Tokai or Seventy-seven.

I have a Seventy-seven Exrubato Jazz with a laminated spruce top. You will not find Gibson doing an axe like that although Collings does.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    great sound!
    I've never played a jazz guitar with a double cutaway and between seeing him and Sheryl Bailey play them, I would like to have one.

That said, I found this performance unlistenable and stopped it two minutes in. (My laptop's poor speakers may be the main reason for that.)

User Info Menu

I can't say I enjoy that tone at all, but I think Sco is cool.

User Info Menu

He definitely wasn't going for a straight ahead sound, but that was a nice tone for that style of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I can't say I enjoy that tone at all, but I think Sco is cool.

this is much better quality of recording...:-)

User Info Menu

My teacher has an '81, that guitar was really warm and mid-rangey to my ears. Really beautiful sound, deep and mellow without getting muddy. We also had a 345 there, the 345 had more punch, attack, grit and clarity, I'd say the Ibby was a bit warmer.

Feel wise, what felt strange to me at first was the neck, a bit too thin for my tastes and made me feel a bit insecure, also felt kinda slow. I guess, it's a matter of getting used to it and taste. Overall, I wouldn't mind having one but I am too used to Gibson 335s, particularly I love my Rusty Anderson.

User Info Menu

I have a 1979 Ibanez AS200, bought it in 1980.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez AS200-photo-jpg Ibanez AS200-photo-4-jpg Ibanez AS200-photo-3-jpg Ibanez AS200-photo-2-jpg 
    Last edited by Dirk; 04-14-2020 at 01:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't think he ever really stopped using it; just depends on the gig. Both the Tele and the AS200 were on the last uberjam album. I like both, but really enjoyed the twangy sound he got off the Tele neck pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    To me the AS200 is one of THE nicest sounding 335 types around. Ibanez keeps making them too.
    Fujigen actually manufacturers all of Ibanez's japanese made instruments. They also make their own 335 style guitar under their own label, and supposedly it is an excellent instrument.

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a 1980 Ibanez AS100. I've read some conflicting information on the stock pickups in these guitars. Some say it came with Super 70 pickups, while others say it came with Super 58 pickups.

Can someone clarify and direct me to better resources?

User Info Menu

My 81 As-100 had Super 70's without a doubt.

User Info Menu

The Super 58s came out around 1982, so one could find an AS200 with Super 70s, actually the AS200 had been called something else (2360 ??) in the late 70s and then around 1980-1 became the AS200. This was that point in Ibanez's history where they stopped copying and came out with their own unique models (GB10, AS200, AS100, AS80, AS50, ect.) they were Ibanez's take on the 335 style guitar, but with an ebony board, the tri sound switch and then the monster PAF style Super 58s. And for a while they had THE nicest tiger flame tops and backs, split abalone/pearl block markers, velve tuners, really gave the 335 a run for it's money.

For the longest time the AS200 was made at FujiGen Gakki, then in the late 80s production was switched to Terada - the guitars are just as outstanding, the difference being the Terada models had a narrower headstock. I've been Blessed over the years to have owned an 82 sunburst, an 89 Terada in white (a real pimped out looking guitar)

and a 91 in natural - that guitar they used the finest flamed laminates on... The day I sold this I met a broker buddy of mine at a local ShopRite to close the deal, and the sun was getting lower in the sky, pulled this guitar out of the case and BAM the sun struck it the way it does some really gorgeous opals (I used to cut opal as a hobby), broke my heart I was parting with it.
    Ibanez AS200-10623815_10152603383377239_310444865933452653_o-jpg

The blonde ones are pretty rare, but what is really very rare is the Terada built flamed maples ones in TR (transparent red). Gorgeous !!
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez AS200-256361_10151154404217239_857669015_o-jpg 
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 11-12-2014 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I have Ibanez AS-200/1982/ .It is just great guitar.