The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I've been studying my scales meticulously locked in one position up and down and doing so for all the positions, but when I check out Bert Ligon's Comprehensive Technique for Jazz Musicians, he suggests warming up using the major and harmonic minor scales through a few more octaves than I can play in just one position. So uhm, how do some of you go about shifting through the so-called positions to blast through all those octaves accross the fingerboard?

(ps: I love you all tremendously for continuously sharing so much of your knowledge, I've had so many questions answered already by just browsing and lurking about)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think you are wasting your time with this.

Take a tune and put your scales to work by improvising over it. What you need to know will soon become apparent.

Learn to recognize the repetitive chord sequences that appear over and over again in jazz tunes. There are only a handful really.

User Info Menu

Fully agree with drumbler...there're too many worthless guide/textbooks.
    Try to catch Warren Nunes.
    Greetings from Holland, Hans Dekker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hans dekker
    Fully agree with drumbler...there're too many worthless guide/textbooks.
    Try to catch Warren Nunes.
    Greetings from Holland, Hans Dekker
    I have his "Jazz Chord Bible Complete"--it is excellent and I highly recommend it.

User Info Menu

If you are already fluent in playing scales in one position then work on one string scales. They involve constant shifting and combined with position fingerings give you the tools to play scales full range.
    Last edited by bako; 05-26-2010 at 09:51 AM.

User Info Menu

One good way is to connect one position with another. This assumes, of course, that you've learned to play those scales in more than just one position (i.e. starting on different scale degrees). John Stowell talks about this in his "Jazz Guitar Mastery" book.

If you're familiar with CAGED, it would be like linking up the C-form scales with the A-form scales. Instead of just moving across the fretboard, staying in the C shape the whole time, just pick a string, and move up to the A shape on one of the notes in the scale on that string. Then finish out the rest of the scale in the A shape. Come back down and move back into the C shape in the same place you moved up.

This link also has some exercises on "diagonal scales":

Jazz Guitar Scales : The Diagonal Approach of the Legends

User Info Menu

well, for one, for jazz playing, if i was practicing scales again and was limiting myself to two--harmonic minor wouldn't be one of them.

User Info Menu

It's like a car crash - I see "scales" in the thread subject line and even though I vowed not to look at another thread on scales, well, here I am.

Shredders like me use 4 notes per string . For example, F lydian :

[CHORD]

||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-_-|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

Awesome

User Info Menu

I'd make fun of it, but 3+ octave johnny smith arpeggios are a regular part of my rep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd make fun of it, but 3+ octave johnny smith arpeggios are a regular part of my rep.
    It hasn't happened unless you post an example! At least it's an arp!

User Info Menu

well, for one, for jazz playing, if i was practicing scales again and was limiting myself to two--harmonic minor wouldn't be one of them.
    Agreed. For jazz, major scale and melodic minor will get you pretty far. I can't lived without diminished, but that is just me.

User Info Menu

I have Johnny Smith on my alarm clock/CD player.

Every morning he wakes me up. Oh so nice.

User Info Menu

segovia scales shows you some two position/two octave scales, and some 3 octave scales for both major and melodic minor scales.

Jimmy Bruno has some 2+ octave scale patterns where you extend the range along the first string.

William Leavitt's method book 3 shows you how to move through positions using a number of different approaches

the Berklee online guitar scales course shows you 3 octave scales and modes using "mirror fingering"

aaron shearer's scale book cover's 2 and 3 octave scales as well

happy hunting
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 05-26-2010 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Shredders like me use 4 notes per string . For example, F lydian :

[chord]

||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|-_-|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|-D-|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|-G-|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|-C-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|-C-|---|-D-|---|-E-|-F-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||-F-|---|-G-|---|-A-|---|-B-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/chord]

Awesome
    I connect 2 positions by playing 3 notes per string (doesn't matter the scale). I'l try your 4 notes per string example, it takes you further away!
    Thank you!

its all about the jazz theory book by mark levin (theres a torrent out there somewhere)
    i swear by it
    x

User Info Menu

or--here's a crazy idea, i know--buy, i mean actually reach into your wallet and pay for--fucking crazy, i know--a book that obviously took a teacher and decidedly not rich human being hundreds of hours to compile.

I know, i'm batshit crazy.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sixstringwiszard
    its all about the jazz theory book by mark levin (theres a torrent out there somewhere)
    i swear by it
    x
    Please don't advocate illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Thanks.

User Info Menu

or--here's a crazy idea, i know--buy, i mean actually reach into your wallet and pay for--fucking crazy, i know--a book that obviously took a teacher and decidedly not rich human being hundreds of hours to compile.

I know, i'm batshit crazy.
    That is a far out idea. Are you feeling all right, friend?

Last edited by Drumbler; 06-02-2010 at 07:44 AM.