The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I’m just joking. Just in combination with “Oliver Twist, guitar teacher” up there, I got a bit of a black eye just from reading.

Anyway — for what it’s worth, I’ve met more jaded, washed-up lazy guitar teachers in late-middle-age than I care to count. So age is just a number on this one.
    I'd take lessons if I decide to pursue something new. For example if I decide to take singing or piano more seriously, I'd definitely take lessons. Because it'd be fun but also I like to be in the present of someone who is looking at things from "inside" when I don't have a lot of experience in something. When you're learning something, you always have a mental model but you don't know what is real and what is your own narrative.

I'd also still take lessons in jazz guitar if I see a player in a show and there is a particular thing about their playing that I like. The way they comp, something about their technique or their language etc.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    One of the problems with being self taught these days is the availability of information and music. The supply is beyond overwhelming. It's too easy to flit from one thing to another. A teacher can help keep you on a useful track.
    This is a good point. Beyond the normal teaching function, a kid coming into music today probably needs a teacher to act as a Sherpa to guide through what NOT to do in order to avoid the rabbit holes.
    Last edited by unknownguitarplayer; 06-08-2023 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Jimmy posted this just five days ago. (Less grouchy than usual…although I enjoy his personality.)

How did he learn? All of the above. As he mentions, different players have had different ways of viewing what they were doing. All ways can work.

Learning tunes is clearly the main thread.

Has been great reading peoples advice and opinions. Too many to quote, but appreciated

Where I am at at the moment would be: I do not think I need a teacher, I rather need to identify some goals and have the motivation to follow them through.

I am only a hobbyist so its is for my own enjoyment that I am learning, I will keep an eye out for any potential opportunity to get out and play with other people as that's a big part of music that I do miss.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maaj12
    I do not think I need a teacher
    Hello, Maaj. I was going to say that but, you know, if you thought it was okay at the time... :-)

It's always best to keep things simple. The instinct is to acquire but investigating is better.

User Info Menu

Where I am at at the moment would be: I do not think I need a teacher, I rather need to identify some goals and have the motivation to follow them through.

I am only a hobbyist so its is for my own enjoyment that I am learning, I will keep an eye out for any potential opportunity to get out and play with other people as that's a big part of music that I do miss.
    My only advice on this would be to say that no one has ever needed a guitar teacher. Guitar isn’t exactly a hobby for everyone, but even professionals could be doing something else and the world would keep turning.

Which is all to say that it’s okay just to want a teacher.

(or a new book, or to take time to go to a session, or … etc)

Do your thing.

User Info Menu

just my 2 cents.

A first role of any teacher is to influence. If a teacher can not influence you to dig into new world of science, art, culture, ..., any kind of mastery - it's no way to use their service with a pleasure.

I've spend more than 5 years learning piano when I was a kid. I didn't remember any advice from my teacher and have 0 influence from her After studying I have not been playing piano for about 15 years because of no wish doing this.

I have 3 guitar teachers - one of them was great and help me with systematic view on guitar techniques, 'guitar' music theory. He is a really good man with too far music tastes from mine - all these 80' prog/art rock bands. I see his great impact on my guitar playing and 99% I should play worse now without his help. I still think that a good teacher (educational skills, same taste in music, playing skills, guitar wisdom) is a lot more valuable than another guitar, amp or a pedal. Some guitar studying platforms like truefire collect many gems in it with a world known guitar players who can share their 1-2-3 thoughts that can recreate myself as a musician. Life learning principle is close for me, moreover, it helps to diminish the message from the void 'you need to create a masterpiece'.

User Info Menu

Has been great reading peoples advice and opinions. Too many to quote, but appreciated

To advance one needs to identify some goals and have the motivation to follow them through.

Some people benefit (and thus advance) with having a consistent routine and approach. A teacher with a lesson plan can benefit such people. E.g., Weekly lessons, learn a new song each week, organized practicing plan with a way to measure progress.

Other people are self-motivated. The key is to not believe one is the latter when one is actually the former.