The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At the moment I'm working on Melodic Rhythm Studies by William Leavitt and also Reading Contemporary Guitar Rhythms by M T Szymczak. I've been al the way through the Leavitt book in the past. Right now I'm only playing the initial Studies showing a Rhythm only without a melody, in both books. Leavitts book is 1/8 notes and down the Szymczak book is 1/16 notes. He was a teacher at Berklee. Both books are laid out the same way. When I get to the end ,I'll go through both again playing everything in the books with no melody, rhythms only. Then again as written. As this goes on I plan to sight read my real book beginning at the first tune and not skipping any. Which I've done some of but I have skipped around.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use the Leavitt book often and in many different ways. After reading your post I decided to buy the Szymczak book. I also have the Bergonzi book. Thank you for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I use the Leavitt book often and in many different ways. After reading your post I decided to buy the Szymczak book. I also have the Bergonzi book. Thank you for your post.
    I'm unaware of the Bergonzi book. Perhaps I also need a look at that.

User Info Menu

I received the Szymczak book. I realized that 1969 (Leavitt) is the classical period for Berkely, 1981 (Szymczak) is the contemporary period… where is the post-modern book…

User Info Menu

I have Leavitt's book and it's good, but since this is jazz I would highly recommend the three Jazz Conception books from Jim Snidero - the guitar version. (no affiliation)

Joe Cohn on guitar with rhythm section. He plays through the tunes on a set of tracks then lays out on the second set for you to play solo with the rhythm section. The studies are all set to standards with deceptive names but you can guess the real names (Confirmed - Confirmation, You Need Not - Well You Needn't, etc.). The real heads are not played but you can play them of course. Great for reading AND learning progressively advanced solos on standards.

The three books include original melodies and solos/etudes that progress in difficulty. Lots of syncopated melodic rhythms with jazz oriented chord progressions and key center changes - because they're real standards. A variety of styles too.

Easy Jazz Conception - copyright 2000
    Intermediate Jazz Conception - 2005
    Jazz Conception - 1996

User Info Menu