The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi I have not too much knowledge about music software. I am using a combination of Sibelius and NotePerformer to compose music. Basically you write music in the score and Noteperformer is a plug in that cost 100 usd and give more realistic sound. . I would like to know if somebody knows an alternative that may sound more realistic. But It will request to write the music in a score like in sibelius. I dont use DAW.

Here are some new examples of the music I composed with Noteperformer

I dont know if it is possible to make it sound more realistic. It kinda works for me, It has 23 instruments with different harmonic functions and the synchronization looks fine for a software, but I dont know if it is possible to get a better and more realistic software.

This next example its even more interesting to check the sound quality of the software. I kinda agree with the result but maybe there are better options?

Stream March1D by Jimmy Dunlop | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Here is a draft where the previous march is included. This is not finished but you can check the quality of the sound of Noteperformer.

Stream March 1 Normal D by Jimmy Dunlop | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Musescore 4 has good orchestral sounds for not much money. Tbh I thought the orchestration you posted was not bad. You could probably find some demos online of MS4. I’ve had no problem moving on from the horrendous dumpster fire that is Sibelius…. Musescore is quite similar.

I think people who are really into this stuff get deep into Virtual Orchestrations which is a kind of massive rabbit hole …. So ymmv.

Thanks for listening and for your kind reply.I dont care to pay. I just need more realistic sounds. FOr orchestra kinda works but when you use less instruments then it goes worse. Christian DO you think musescore could fix?

Here is when I start to find the problems. In this composition I made. The cello sounds unrealistic and clumsy specially in the lower notes... Do you think your musescore could fix the sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDunlop
    Thanks for listening and for your kind reply.I dont care to pay. I just need more realistic sounds. FOr orchestra kinda works but when you use less instruments then it goes worse. Christian DO you think musescore could fix?

Here is when I start to find the problems. In this composition I made. The cello sounds unrealistic and clumsy specially in the lower notes... Do you think your musescore could fix the sound?
    I think some research on your part would be the best way to answer that question. I’m pretty certain there’ll be some demos online and you can decide if they sound better than what you are using.

Yes thanks. I did a lot of research and only could find DAWs, well I wait for more opinions of other users then.

User Info Menu

Just google musescore 4 sounds, you’ll get plenty of info. E.g. here’s a comparison of the old musescore 3 sounds versus the new musescore 4 soundfonts. All the new sounds are free to download as far as I know, once you have installed musescore 4 (which is itself free).

I haven’t installed all these because I’m more interested in doing jazz stuff than orchestral, but if I wanted to use orchestral sounds I’d probably use it.

User Info Menu

Do I look like a flipping search engine?

on reflection maybe getting ‘google’ tattooed on my forehead may have been my mistake. Never getting drunk with those guys again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Just google musescore 4 sounds, you’ll get plenty of info. E.g. here’s a comparison of the old musescore 3 sounds versus the new musescore 4 soundfonts. All the new sounds are free to download as far as I know, once you have installed musescore 4 (which is itself free).

I haven’t installed all these because I’m more interested in doing jazz stuff than orchestral, but if I wanted to use orchestral sounds I’d probably use it.

Woodwind, brass, Joanna and double bass sound good. Guitar still sounds terrible though.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

thanks graham, I am gonna look that. I will check if MS4 can improve the sound of this composition. If so then I am lucky lol

User Info Menu

You could try Staffpad.403 Forbidden You will need a Surface Pro or Ipad and you can write music on staff with pen.It comes with its own library but it shines when you buy the addon libraries from Spitfire Audio or Orchestral Tools which are made for use with Staffpad.

bing crosby lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Do I look like a flipping search engine?
    Any one knows a more realistic software for music?-barneygoogle-jpg

Any one knows a more realistic software for music?-bing-crosby-jpg

isnt he bing crosby?

User Info Menu

I’m confused at the time travelling in this thread now

User Info Menu

nice stuff jimmy.yeah you need a new cello...about 100 quid....SWAM Cello | Audio Modeling

User Info Menu

with AI coming along nicely you could probly write your own Cello Suites...

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    with AI coming along nicely you could probly write your own Cello Suites...
    I need to check it, Thanks. But this is like a daw? or can I write the music in the score and it plays it with real sound instead of midi sound'
    Only for Ipad?

User Info Menu

Unless I’m mistaken, it is all midi. The difference is the virtual instruments that play it back. Some are very sophisticated and lifelike, and some are very synthetic sounding. Most DAWs allow you to purchase third party virtual instruments (VSTs) to play back your midi file and create audio recordings from them. They range from free (bundled with the recording software) to eye watering expensive.

I think what you are really asking if there is software that allows you to create your midi files using standard notation rather than the system of blips and dashes popular in most software. Perhaps you are wondering if there is a DAW that has an integrated standard notation interface so you can immediately generate audio files as you enter the score?

As far as I know, the only answer is Musescore. It allows input in standard notation as well as immediately playback. You can purchase standard 3rd party VST instruments and load them in for playback. Musescore is not a full DAW, and if you were trying to engineer a final recording it would be too limited. But if what you want is to create a score in standard notation and hear it played back as you compose, MS4 is your answer. If you don’t like the free included instruments then only your pocketbook will limit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro