The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Summary:

I'd like to set a 2023 goal for my guitar/music progress but I'm not sure what a good goal might be. Do you set goals? What are they?

Background for context:

I played a few instruments in my childhood.
    Never invested enough effort to understand the theory (wish YouTube had been around then)
    I wrote, recorded songs and played guitar a LOT decades ago.
    Mostly blues and rock stuff. In bands in college.
    Still never learned the theory. Got in pentatonic pattern ruts.

Stopped playing for years out of frustration and limited time.
    Want to get back into playing and REALLY learning Jazz (theory, playing).

I tend to be goal oriented and would like to have some goal for 2023 related to learning and playing Jazz....what should that be?

Thanks!
    Chris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Get through to the end of this book and you'll be in a pretty good place, and its not too hard:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-...for-beginners/

User Info Menu

Yes I do; My goal for this year was to learn a chord melody version of Stardust.

Of course this is the same goal I have had for over 30 years!

User Info Menu

My goal was to go to 12 jams, one a month. I creamed that but no gigs so next years goal is to start my own project.

Do you set annual goals? What are they?-712f4e98-48fd-4337-ae35-8fde66b02549-jpeg

User Info Menu

My eyes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbgrey
    Summary:

I'd like to set a 2023 goal for my guitar/music progress but I'm not sure what a good goal might be. Do you set goals? What are they?

Background for context:

I played a few instruments in my childhood.
    Never invested enough effort to understand the theory (wish YouTube had been around then)
    I wrote, recorded songs and played guitar a LOT decades ago.
    Mostly blues and rock stuff. In bands in college.
    Still never learned the theory. Got in pentatonic pattern ruts.

Stopped playing for years out of frustration and limited time.
    Want to get back into playing and REALLY learning Jazz (theory, playing).

I tend to be goal oriented and would like to have some goal for 2023 related to learning and playing Jazz....what should that be?

Thanks!
    Chris
    I recommend one focus on a few jazz standards like Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, Summertime, Out of Nowhere, and Satin Doll.

I use a looper to create a chord track and then play the melody and solo over the track until I have it down pat.

User Info Menu

I really should set annual goals since I struggle to stay focused. I find myself jumping between songs, learning parts but not entire pieces. I'd like to learn the Joe Pass version of Take the A Train (I have some questions!) and the Barney Kessel version of Girl from Ipanema. I can play the kid version of both of these, but I'd really like to level-up on these songs.

User Info Menu

I'll do 100 chord transcriptions. or 200. whichever happens first.

User Info Menu

I've never set specific, focused goals. Not annual and not with a shorter time line.

But, I have set goals:

1. Improve clean speed. That is, increasing my speed for things like streams of 8th notes without sacrificing clarity. For example I work on getting Donna Lee fast and clean at 220.

2. Learn to play Brazilian music. That one's going for nearly two decades.

3. For a number of years I got to play in a few jams over the summer with top pro players. My goal was to play a little better each year.

4. Learn more tunes and be able to play them in 12 keys -- for ear training.

User Info Menu

I have never set specific goals. I enjoy playing and trying to always improve and learn tunes. Being able to play a large number of standards is sort of any ongoing goal but I don't get worked up about it. I don't make my living playing the guitar so have to keep in perspective.

User Info Menu

I like to set goals because the nature of guitar is to “play better” but that’s a moving goal post you never reach.

However, learning the major scale across the strings is a one day goal, across the fretboard may take 2 weeks. Learning diatonic arpeggios in the positions will take a few months. This all takes like 5-15 minutes of effort a day, but it’s a concrete achievement that helps you stay motivated and makes it easier to play lines and learn by ear down the road.

Anyway, that’s what works for me.

User Info Menu

I plan on spending 2023 studying everything I can find by Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

Yes, goals for 2023.

Finish writing, rehearsing, and recording a full length album. Most of the material is ready to go and much of it is already rehearsed so January/February after the holidays is the target time.

Make more money gigging than I did in 2022 and do more gigs than I did this year.

Helping plan a blues festival in my area that will hopefully come to pass.

Learn a new instrument, chromatic harmonica.

Possibly start buying/selling small amounts of gear on Reverb. I have to move some of this stuff here.

Grow and shoot more food than I did this year.

Survive 2023 and the ugly that seems to be on the horizon.

That'd be a good start.

User Info Menu

My goals are to learn as many tunes from my Django Reinhardt fakebook as possible, master gypsy picking; especially double downstrokes, and get Django’s Rhythm Futur up to a decent speed.

User Info Menu

No need to plan forward,
    the latest news is we are
    getting a do over, shortly

Do you set annual goals? What are they?-lilizard-people-jpg

User Info Menu

Downtown on Christmas Eve, a woman was prophesying the end of time, which is the last thing you want to hear after doing a load of shopping.

User Info Menu

Do same as every year! Binge a bunch of music masterclass videos I downloaded a few years back but never watched, get all inspired and then fail to remember to practice any of it.

in practice, carry on with what I’ve been doing which I think has been working for me. Basic stuff really, a lot of tidying up. Reading every day.

And then carrying on work with this contrapuntal type thing I’ve got into. But that’s more ‘daddy’s mad project in the shed’ vibes than anything specifically related to work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Downtown on Christmas Eve, a woman was prophesying the end of time, which is the last thing you want to hear after doing a load of shopping.
    Depends.

Did you put it on the credit card?

End of the world might beat the interest rates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    No need to plan forward,
    the latest news is we are
    getting a do over, shortly

Do you set annual goals? What are they?-lilizard-people-jpg
    2015?

1973 would be MUCH better, thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    That is like the joke about the Minnesota weather person who predicts snow every day. Eventually s/he will be right.

By the way, Auckland has a couple of geniuses (Rohan Hill and Ian Jorgensen) who developed a great music making product called the Deluge, and the company is Synthstrom Audible: Deluge - Synthstrom Audible

The amazing thing is that when I ordered one, it only took 4 business days to get here to Minnesota. I ordered a product from Washington state on our west coast, and it took longer than that. There must be something about New Zealand...

Since this thread is about goals, I suppose one of mine is to learn the Deluge and factor it into my music making.

Tony

User Info Menu

I watched a Deluge video. Now I want one. I hope you will post your music, Tony.

User Info Menu

I set goals on a routine basis. I'm a very goal driven person. However, tasks 6 months from now get blown off. The goals have to be short chunks inside of larger goals.

My repertoire is terrible. I want to become acquainted with at least a new song every week so I have 50+ in my quiver by the end of the year. Breaking it down like that allows me to choose maybe 10-12 songs to have queued up for the next few weeks. Small goals inside of larger goals.

My other goal is to create a new melody every week. It can be a simple riff I'll use in another song, or a reworking of the melody over classic chords, just something to keep me thinking in terms of melody rather than lots of notes.

My last definable goal is to spend 10 minutes each morning running through arpeggios just to get the notes under my fingers more quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I recommend one focus on a few jazz standards like Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, Summertime, Out of Nowhere, and Satin Doll.

I use a looper to create a chord track and then play the melody and solo over the track until I have it down pat.
    It is as simple as this isn’t it? If you want to learn how to play jazz learn some “jazz songs”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    It is as simple as this isn’t it? If you want to learn how to play jazz learn some “jazz songs”.
    If that is the kind of jazz you like, then yes.

User Info Menu

The book; "Joe Pass on Guitar" has just arrived. I will have my hands full in 2023 working on this.
    Looking forward to learning the 3 songs at the end.
    I've already started the mustache!