The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    If that is the kind of jazz you like, then yes.
    Why wouldn't that recommendation work regardless of the "kind of jazz" one wishes to play?

The recommendation was to record the chord progression into a looper and then play the melody and solos over that progression until one has the song down pat. Note that the specific songs mentioned were just examples.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was thinking of the kind of jazz that does not involve playing songs.

User Info Menu

I don’t set goals, but I do select a theme for the year - 2023 is The Year of Classical Guitar.

The yearly theme is not exclusive - I’ll do other things, I’m sure - but it does name my primary focus for the coming year.

Happy New Year!

User Info Menu

I set goals, yes.
    I'm a bit wary of setting them for a whole year, though, so those will be few.
    A couple years back I set a goal of writing and recording a dozen songs and I did it. I felt good about that.
    I was on track to repeat the feat this past year (2022) when a family tragedy turned everything upside down. I'm not sure now how many songs I wrote last year but I plan to check back and see. Maybe I wrote 12 or more but I know I didn't record that many.

This year's goal is to stop changing my pick grip. This may be the hardest of all tasks for me.
    I've been working with Troy Grady (via his site's "Technique Critique" feature) and have made real progress. I want to solidify that.
    Playing only acoustic guitar lately, focusing more on tone (and eliminating squeaking).
    Working through Mimi Fox's True Fire course "Jazz Song Practice Playbook".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I've been working with Troy Grady (via his site's "Technique Critique" feature) and have made real progress. I want to solidify that.
    Playing only acoustic guitar lately, focusing more on tone (and eliminating squeaking).
    Working through Mimi Fox's True Fire course "Jazz Song Practice Playbook".
    A girl once told me that the sound of a guitar squeaking as I jumped between chords was the sexiest sound she'd heard.
    This is a true story.

User Info Menu

For 2023, my goal is to start in-person instruction. There are some sub-goals for practicing, etc., that I need to clarify. Thanks to this thread, I’ll write them down.

For 2024, my goal is to play at a jam at one of the two major venues in town without embarrassing myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    For 2023, my goal is to start in-person instruction. There are some sub-goals for practicing, etc., that I need to clarify. Thanks to this thread, I’ll write them down.

For 2024, my goal is to play at a jam at one of the two major venues in town without embarrassing myself.
    Start going to those jams now and by 2024 you won't be concerned about embarrassing yourself anymore. After you learn how to sound good at home you have to learn how to sound good on stage, best to work on both at the same time. Jam nights are for amateurs and hobbyists to have fun.

User Info Menu

My 2023 goal is to not die. Eat healthy, get a little exercise, be low-stress.

Had a heart attack in Feb. 2022. I'm doing good, lost 25 pounds, take my meds, and don't bother getting upset as I paddle my little raft on the ocean of stupidity that is the world.

Musically.....? Learn a few more standards. Find a good jazz guitar teacher in Buenos Aires, I'm moving there soon.

When you almost 'check out' it changes you.

User Info Menu

No goals other than learning tunes to the point of never forgetting them. The goal is to have 100 jazz standards fully internalized. Many I’be learned before, but forgot them or part of them. I want to never forget them, again.

Everything about playing guitar comes fully alive and real when you learn tunes-theories of improvisation, fingerboard knowledge, voicings and harmony. It all comes together when we learn tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    No goals other than learning tunes to the point of never forgetting them. The goal is to have 100 jazz standards fully internalized. Many I’be learned before, but forgot them or part of them. I want to never forget them, again.

Everything about playing guitar comes fully alive and real when you learn tunes-theories of improvisation, fingerboard knowledge, voicings and harmony. It all comes together when we learn tunes.
    Bluegrass players have known this forever.

User Info Menu

My goal for this year is to be able to set a goal for the next year.

User Info Menu

I stopped playing guitar like for 2 years, my goal for this year is to practice everyday at least (a couple of hours at least), i find incredible how music can keep you safe from madness

User Info Menu

So I began playing with a big band in February and it’s a steep learning curve. My goal for 2023 is a simple one.

“Be able to cleanly comp through all the current repertoire using the simplest chords as possible whilst keeping good time/rhythm”.

Easily stated, but for me at least, it’s not so easy particularly the faster tempo pieces.

Any tips much appreciated!

User Info Menu

Jazz (or any music) is about your soul and your feelings. You can't set goals the way a marathon runner sets goals. Don't fall into the trap like most [non-pro] jazz guitarists

User Info Menu

I have discovered that I like doing little projects. My goals was such are to complete the project then move onto the next one.

All practise for one project helps the next project etc.

I guess that my only long term goal is to be a better player then I am today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geospectrum
    So I began playing with a big band in February and it’s a steep learning curve. My goal for 2023 is a simple one.

“Be able to cleanly comp through all the current repertoire using the simplest chords as possible whilst keeping good time/rhythm”.

Easily stated, but for me at least, it’s not so easy particularly the faster tempo pieces.

Any tips much appreciated!
    The best goals are easily stated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    My goal for this year is to be able to set a goal for the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demian
    I stopped playing guitar like for 2 years, my goal for this year is to practice everyday at least (a couple of hours at least), i find incredible how music can keep you safe from madness
    Quote Originally Posted by eh6794-2.0
    Jazz (or any music) is about your soul and your feelings. You can't set goals the way a marathon runner sets goals. Don't fall into the trap like most [non-pro] jazz guitarists
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    The best goals are easily stated.
    first learn to play

WATCH

User Info Menu

Seems like there are more troll and spam posts lately.

User Info Menu

I think its James W, he got injuried

User Info Menu

No more exercises-methods-method books-time wasting. Just learning tunes.

Getting 150 tunes from GAS (mostly show tunes) down pat. Going slow, but steady. Not ashamed to learn them from charts initially (helps my sight reading, for sure).

When I fully internalize these tunes, I feel like I will finally feel like I can arrive at a place where I don’t have to leave or think of the “next thing” to do. I can exist fully, happily, and with an immense sense of belonging somewhere, in this world of tunes. Tunes are the key to unlocking your instrument and music come alive, as an improviser. Always use versions by Ella Fitzgerald or Frank Sinatra as the musical compass, to get a proper grounding on phrasing. The world of rhythm-harmony-melody come together, in one place, fully, colorfully, like a the most sensory laden kaleidoscope one can ever imagine. Everything is there in the imagination for the taking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    No more exercises-methods-method books-time wasting. Just learning tunes.

Getting 150 tunes from GAS (mostly show tunes) down pat. Going slow, but steady. Not ashamed to learn them from charts initially (helps my sight reading, for sure).

When I fully internalize these tunes, I feel like I will finally feel like I can arrive at a place where I don’t have to leave or think of the “next thing” to do. I can exist fully, happily, and with an immense sense of belonging somewhere, in this world of tunes. Tunes are the key to unlocking your instrument and music come alive, as an improviser. Always use versions by Ella Fitzgerald or Frank Sinatra as the musical compass, to get a proper grounding on phrasing. The world of rhythm-harmony-melody come together, in one place, fully, colorfully, like a the most sensory laden kaleidoscope one can ever imagine. Everything is there in the imagination for the taking.
    Lately I prefer Peggy Lee for learning tunes. She really sticks to the melody where Ella is more expressive and Frank has too much instrumentation for me to tell what's going on.

No, I don't set annual goals, but I do set goals.

Guitar, as an instrument, is my new baby. It's turning my head around, as a (jazz/whatever) pianist and organist.

Fretting technique is a problem for me (larger chords, finger muting), picking hand technique less so.

It's bringing me back to when I'd spend hours, days, just writing out solos....and, yes, including by guitarists. I have full solos handwritten from Wes, Jim Hall, so many others. Back from when I wasn't playing or thinking about guitar. Jim Hall's line on "I've Got You Under My Skin" or Wes on "Gone With the Wind"? Get out, everybody knows those, regardless of instrument!

What I need to do, since I recently cheated and bought some of Wolf Marshall transcription efforts, as well as a number of other detailed transcription books is fire up my home office monitors (KRK Classic 5s) for good and not just watching some old movies.

Yes, I bought a new office chair a few months ago, specifically with no arms so I could sit at my desk off-work and stroke my guitar.

I don't actually like to listen to music much anymore...that feels like going backward to me...but I do listen in the car during my commute to my day job.

So, this year, I am actually going to start firing up Barney Kessel, and of course all others, and really hit "pause" on the digital transport and try to get it down.

Hell, I spent so many hours transcribing as a younger man, you'd think it wouldn't be difficult, but I'll get back there.

ALSO: guitar! Keep on this year learn *all* the Bird tunes I already know. But on guitar. Minor gripe: Mark Voepel, *Charlie Parker For Guitar*? WTF? How did the editor allow so many mistakes in the tab? It's wild, man.

Anyway, yeah, just go back to basics. Learn each head in a few different positions. And shred the voodoo down with the pick, and stop using my fingers as crutches. Clean picking, son!