The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Hello!

I wonder what is the advantage of the fingering of the minor chord form 2X3333 vs 1X234X or 1XX234.

The first one implies a barré and the use of the pinky if playing fingerstyle.

Any suggestion?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I often fanger it 2x1111 then I have my rang and panky fangers to play melady notes.

User Info Menu

None of these are A minor 7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I often fanger it 2x1111 then I have my rang and panky fangers to play melady notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Actually if you write all these words with an A instead of...then maybe they're all....well "A" chords of some sort?

S

User Info Menu

Depends what one's used to or finds easiest. There are people who would play a G7: 1x243x. Very strange :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    That makes sense. 1X1111 frees up three fingers for melody, but 2X1111 frees up finger 2 to move a bit on bass

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Depends what one's used to or finds easiest. There are people who would play a G7: 1x243x. Very strange :-)
    Myself Am7 chord fingeringAm7 chord fingering

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I used to do this, now I play G13 instead !

User Info Menu

2X333 is Am7. (at the 5th fret).

Anyhow, I use this so I have the pinky available to finger the 1st string to add the 9th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    2X333 is Am7. (at the 5th fret).

Anyhow, I use this so I have the pinky available to finger the 1st string to add the 9th.
    If it’s at the fifth fret it’s not 2x3333

the numbers are the frets. Has everyone gone bonkers here?

User Info Menu

The OP is numbering fingers not frets.

OP: people use a similar looking code for chords, but the numbers represent frets so Am7 is 5x5555. No info about how to finger it therein.

The bar form leaves two fingers free to do other things and makes some common chord changes very easy to play.

That said, some people use a third finger barre for x1333x and some people use one finger per string -- and the latter group includes some pros with massive chops. Maybe it's to facilitate x13331?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Travelrock
    Hello!

I wonder what is the advantage of the fingering of the minor chord form 2X3333 vs 1X234X or 1XX234.

The first one implies a barré and the use of the pinky if playing fingerstyle.

Any suggestion?
    My humble suggestion: It depends on the song, in other words the situation in the chord progression. Do you need to switch grips fast-like or do you have time to use the more "normal" grip?

I wish I could only use one grip for many chords - is that maybe "more professional".... ? l want to be more professional. But I find myself sometimes using two grips for the same chord.... depending on the situation.

I'll always use 2X3333 if I can, but I'll also use my thumb and index finger for that chord as well. Which would probably horrify a purist. But it makes it super easy to hit the 9th with my pinky, or ring finger, etc.

User Info Menu

Index finger is free so it allows to smoothely shift voices down the neck and keep bass (or another voice) sounding.

I use either this or Thumb - x - 1-1-1-1. Traditional barre (all 1st finger) is also fine for fingerstyle of course.

But I like thumb over neck playing also because it somehow separates bass and other voices mentally.
    Mixing with thumb over the neck I do more of bass moves here and there than I would not probably do using traditional technique

User Info Menu

The fingering you use for any chord always depends on the context. It's that simple.

User Info Menu

For that shape, I'm almost always playing it 2x333x or 1x111x and use a pick/fingers approach.

Thank you for share your experiences with this chord shape.

I cam from the classical guitar word and a barré with the 3rd finger is a technical step that I need work.

User Info Menu

If it’s at the fifth fret it’s not 2x3333

the numbers are the frets. Has everyone gone bonkers here?

Now that is a "bonkers" way to show chords, IMO, and it took me a while to figure that out, but that is what the OP meant.

User Info Menu

I use the straight up first finger bar when I want to reach a few higher melody notes. Typically I'll use the 2x333x version because it makes ii V really easy (for me) just dropping into a D9 x2134x on the 5th fret. So, again, it's situationally dependent.

User Info Menu

a honest confession... I do not understand a word of above converstation. I mean it. My only excuse I am left handed :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

Now that is a "bonkers" way to show chords, IMO, and it took me a while to figure that out, but that is what the OP meant.
    First time ever I’ve seen chords notated like that…. Is it a new thing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    He just did it the way he could without writing a whole musical score and everyone understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Whoever wanted to understand it, has understood it.

If you feel like discussing numbers in the musical notation of plucked string instruments, we can start with the oldest examples. We can analyze, for example, the different use of numbers in books like Il Fronimo or El Maestro, which I have been playing for decades. We could analize after the use of letters in music notarion, for example in baroque French tablature, that I can easily sight reading with a baroque lute. It would be funny.

User Info Menu

The fingering you use for any chord always depends on the context. It's that simple.
    I very much agree. At least in my mind the fingering (and voicing) of any chord is largely determined by both what came before it and what comes after it. There's no point in committing to a fingering that is more difficult to get to or will make it a struggle to get to the next chord.

(And I too found the notion in the OP to be remarkably confusing. That format is usually used to indicate the fret, not the finger).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    remarkably confusing. That format is usually used to indicate the fret, not the finger).
    The thread title is about Am7 and the first post is only about fingering. The OP has obviously found a way to describe what he wants to say in a quick way rather than laboriously spell the whole thing out with fret numbers and all the rest of it. Quite plainly 2x333x is not an Am7 chord so there's another reason for it.

It's not rocket science. A moment's thought would make it clear.

User Info Menu

Don't bother, Travelrock, it's not your fault. Anyway, I think we've got it sorted now. The usual jazz fingering for Am7 at the 5th fret is 2x333x. Playing the full 6-string bar chord isn't usually done unless there's a reason for it and 1x234x is rather torturous.

Plus, of course, there are other voicings that are effective, like the shell-voicing 2x34xx, or 2x341x (AxCEDx) that slips nicely into the tritone Ab7b5 - 2x341x (Ab x F# C D x) to GM7.

So it depends on the sound one wants or just on personal fingering preference. That's it :-)