The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    The thread title is about Am7 and the first post is only about fingering. The OP has obviously found a way to describe what he wants to say in a quick way rather than laboriously spell the whole thing out with fret numbers and all the rest of it. Quite plainly 2x333x is not an Am7 chord so there's another reason for it.

It's not rocket science. A moment's thought would make it clear.
    Perhaps to you. To me it may as well have been Greek. I had to read the thread to the point where someone explained it before I had any notion of what was being discussed. Apparently I am not even a toy rocket scientist

And thinking about the question that the OP was asking with a guitar in my hands (and using his notation), a lot of the time I just play it 1-x-1-1-1-1. That allows me to play a single note line above the chord and switch easily to the D moving horizontally or down to the b5 of the D moving vertically.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 11-19-2022 at 10:38 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Thank you to all for share your experiences, I’ve learned several ideas from you! Am7 chord fingering

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Perhaps to you.
    I wasn't alone.

It wasn't instant. I read Am7, then I read fingering. When I saw the Bb/F# chord I thought 'uh?' and then realised he was describing fingering. Actually, it was quite an intelligent thing to do, a quick way to present it. It would be wrong to assume he also didn't know how to write chords that way properly.

And thinking about the question that the OP was asking with a guitar in my hands (and using his notation), a lot of the time I just play it 1-x-1-1-1-1. That allows me to play a single note line above the chord and switch easily to the D moving horizontally or down to the b5 of the D moving vertically.
    I said that:

'Playing the full 6-string bar chord isn't usually done unless there's a reason for it'

The 2x333x is generally the comping or chord punch version. The full bar is good for chord melody and so on. Joe Pass used to use the open A too. A lot of players don't use the bass notes at all, just the top 4 strings. It's all determined by context.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I wasn't alone.

It wasn't instant. I read Am7, then I read fingering. When I saw the Bb/F# chord I thought 'uh?' and then realised he was describing fingering. Actually, it was quite an intelligent thing to do, a quick way to present it. It would be wrong to assume he also didn't know how to write chords that way properly.

I said that:

'Playing the full 6-string bar chord isn't usually done unless there's a reason for it'

The 2x333x is generally the comping or chord punch version. The full bar is good for chord melody and so on. Joe Pass used to use the open A too. A lot of players don't use the bass notes at all, just the top 4 strings. It's all determined by context.
    In my context, a full barre is often a very use tool.