The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Haha, it’s possible. I think this is by Stockhausen, I just googled weird music scores.
    Sylvano Bussotti's the composer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yea that would be tough to sightread. I do remember back in the 70's actually getting pieces performed in that wacky, (artistic), style of notation.

I composed a bunch of compositions for flute and string quartets that read like road maps with choices of where to go... generally sections of composed music for each player and choices of how to perform them, and choices of what to play within.... They were fun and entertaining, i was trying to combine traditional serious composition practice with Jazz.... sort of, in a jazz style LOL. Didn't need to be worked out and memorized etc... Were designed to be played.

Anyway... the scores and parts were in the artful tradition LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Hang on, so there are actual recordings where people sight read something for the first time ever on the take?

Any idea where I can find these? I wanna check them out to see what they sound like.

Probably 70% of the movie/tv soundtracks you’ve ever heard.

If you have a really hard/difficult to read part, the composer might give it to you in advance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I'd argue for something else. I think the ability to hear a line in your mind and play it starting on any note/fret/finger is basic.

So, you learn the melody the same way as any non-musician and then you can play it in any key, anywhere on the neck.

You get there with a lot of time on the instrument.

Same thing for the chords of a tune, but I find that more difficult. The wedding musicians of my NYC youth could play anything in any key without changing the bored expression on their faces.
    I agree that being able to play a melody by "ear" in any key is basic (as well as starting on any note). Not sure how much time one needs on their instrument to be able to do that. For me it was very easy. I wonder if it had to do with starting on violin, a fretless instrument.

I never had to practice this with guitar; it just came naturally; I.e. hearing the intervals and the finger just going to the right note.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 11-17-2022 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Ok, this is a continuation of the 'sick of reading so much rubbish' thread from last night. This thread got closed down, I think due to abusive messages by Jimmy Smith but I'm not sure.
    How diplomatic of you. :P

User Info Menu

/looks left
    //looks right

i write in pen too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    ahh..I know the lyrics to this one...

Suzy ?...

Yes..

Suzy Creamcheese?

Yes..

User Info Menu

I didn't think that I did but I did

Sight reading situations (continuation of closed 'RUBBISH' thread)-img20221110204849-jpg

User Info Menu

I went to a contemporary Jazz performance the other night- Andrea Keller. She is a composer and pianist a well accomplished. The performance was herself, trumpet, tenor Sax and then a small chamber group of 2 violins, viola, cello, double bass from the Australian Chamber orchestra. Our seat was in the stalls above the back side of the stage.

some observations-
    the sound balance was fantastic
    no tune contained ‘a head’.
    all musicians used digital charts
    all charts had coloured scribbles over them. We could see them from behind.
    the horns and Andrea had the chance to practice 6 times over 2 mths
    the strings had 1 rehearsal 2 days earlier.

everyone was essentially sight reading or close to in the ensemble setting.
    everyone could read a chart.
    everyone sounded as professional as you could imagine.

If you could not read, know the notes on your instrument, modify the chart on the fly you could not participate at this level.

I think the OP is correct in his earlier assertions. You don’t NEED that to play jazz guitar. You will though severely restrict what you can play and with whom. You will be able to play maybe 2% of what you could play in the Jazz world. It would be the jazz equivalent of campfire cowboy chords. If you could do all those things the doors open infinitely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    ahh..I know the lyrics to this one...

Suzy ?...

Yes..

Suzy Creamcheese?

Yes..
    It's a colourful piece at once quirky and profound. I have three different recordings of it.

User Info Menu

All I can say is that I try to do my best at my day job. That includes education, evaluation, and execution. If I were a professional musician I would do the same. You bet I would be able to the sight read as well as the best. There would be no reason not to.

User Info Menu

I have made a commitment to not look at any tabs this year and really work on learning to read well. At best I'm a hack but you don't get better by not doing it.

One of the frustrations with Jazz is there is so much to learn and practice that I find it hard to maximize my practice time, and still find time to enjoy playing as well.

User Info Menu

Hehe, i had posted the "So to Speak" hellish chart on this thread a while back! So now that the album came out, i have to post how the tune sounds like as well:

Here's the chart again (originally a one guitar chart that i decided to split into two):

Sight reading situations (continuation of closed 'RUBBISH' thread)-so-speak-jpg