The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Can you add your playing in order to make this thing more acceptable ?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure I can, I do it !

0 0%
  • Yes, I can but I don't want to wast my time !

1 20.00%
  • Sorry ! I don't know what you want although I do !

0 0%
  • Don't share stupid things !

0 0%
  • I'll never do that !

0 0%
  • I prefer talking about gears and players I love...

2 40.00%
  • I prefer talking about the players I love...

1 20.00%
  • I prefer giving advice than playing, playing is not my thing !

1 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Hi !

The another one without the metronome to avoid long conversation about the philosophy of how to use a metronome, if I made two mistakes it's not to make you talk about something, it's because I played the 7 string before with a flautist.
    You know what, he hated my drums !!! And said we didn't need them !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    And another one without the metronome...

It might be provocative...
    Can you add your playing on that clunky thing to make it more acceptable ?

I did another one...
    It's worst !
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 11-04-2022 at 05:16 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t understand what you are asking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    To record something on it if you've got time.

User Info Menu

Something like that but better...

User Info Menu

try and listen more to your comping. the F#s over E7 and A7 stick out like sore thumbs. make them both f (or just leave the b-string alone). your ears need to be able to reject these wrong sounds.
    Last edited by djg; 11-03-2022 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    try and listen more to your comping. the F#s over E7 and A7 stick out like sore thumbs. make them both f (or just leave the b-string alone). your ears need to be able to reject these wrong sounds.
    Thanks for listening, yes you're right, the comping is too complex.
    The soloist should play very loud to make them forget !!!

User Info Menu

If nobody tries it, I do it again...

User Info Menu

Thanks for listening, yes you're right, the comping is too complex.
    The soloist should play very loud to make them forget !!!
    i dont think it is too complex. but the rhythms are unclear and the chords are too thick with random extensions.

and for the love of god, get better drums drumgenius is cheap. or use drum tracks from youtube.

learn these comping basics first:

- 4 to the bar (freddie green, jim hall)
    - charleston rhythm (wes smokin at the half note)
    - anticipated 1 and 3 (like red garland)

the barry galbraith book on comping is actually pretty good as far as books go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i dont think it is too complex. but the rhythms are unclear and the chords are too thick with random extensions.

and for the love of god, get better drums drumgenius is cheap. or use drum tracks from youtube.

learn these comping basics first:

- 4 to the bar (freddie green, jim hall)
    - charleston rhythm (wes smokin at the half note)
    - anticipated 1 and 3 (like red garland)

the barry galbraith book on comping is actually pretty good as far as books go.
    Cool !
    But the thread is about what YOU DO, what you play when everything goes wrong in a jam session.
    It is not about talking but playing.
    Not about methods, thanks again for listening.
    You're nice !

User Info Menu

I'd rather not practice the bad times, I've had enough of those on stage. I'd try to figure out what's going wrong, if the guy is oblivious I would step back musically and ride it out. If he has a look of "I don't know what's happening, help me" I'd try to take control with some steady basic 4 to the bar comping.

User Info Menu

I'd rather not practice the bad times, I've had enough of those on stage. I'd try to figure out what's going wrong, if the guy is oblivious I would step back musically and ride it out. If he has a look of "I don't know what's happening, help me" I'd try to take control with some steady basic 4 to the bar comping.
    How comes I can play on this ?
    Did you listen to what I added ?

User Info Menu

Come on people, I want you to play, stop repeating things you read in books, stop telling stories which you're the only ones to believe.
    I don't need advice, I need you to play.
    Do something, don't be trolls.

Don't let your guitars' collection sleeping, play them.

OK I understand you listen to the greatest musicians and want to play like them, but you are the greatest, their stories are now yours, you made them yours !
    You've got the same guitars and amps !
    Record yourself, come on !

How comes I can play on that shit ?

Is it too much ?

Try it and then tell me.
    Play, record, then talk.

Come on !

User Info Menu

I'm really confused-- add to the original video? Why would I ever do that?--there's already two guitars. Certainly no room for another.

User Info Menu

Hi !

It might be provocative...
    Can you add your playing on that clunky thing to make it more acceptable ?
    Something like that but better...
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'm really confused-- add to the original video? Why would I ever do that?--there's already two guitars. Certainly no room for another.
    There is only a guitar, on the other one, a bass is added.
    @djg didn't understand what was happening, maybe I am the only one to understand.

User Info Menu

Maybe you can restart, but instead of that bad drum loop you can use SunnyBass track from youtube? (search for "all of me sunnybass" on youtube).

There is also a bass track version in Ab played by Peter Ind on streaming services (might be more comlicated legally (get banned on youtube?) depending on what you intend to do with this).

I think starting with that drum loop you were already starting with a disadvantage.

You could also check out a youtube channel called Riccardo Chiarion - Jazz Guitar. He has (among other things) a series of duet videos, where he playes his guitar part of a duet and leaves the other one out for anyone to jam with him. He hasn't done All of Me though.

User Info Menu

There is this amazing feeling, probably one of the best feelings music has to offer, when you get to play with more skilled musicians, that they are so good that you manage to step up your game and you feel like you're playing better that you've ever played before.

But there isn't much a great player can do to lift you up when you've already recorded your part.

Except for maybe something like this:

(But notice that the less experienced player leaves a lot of space for the experienced player.)

User Info Menu

In Lionelworld the improv comes before the melody :-)

(I didn't buy the Premium version)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    In Lionelworld the improv comes before the melody :-)

(I didn't buy the Premium version)

Thanks for trying !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    Maybe you can restart, but instead of that bad drum loop you can use SunnyBass track from youtube? (search for "all of me sunnybass" on youtube).

There is also a bass track version in Ab played by Peter Ind on streaming services (might be more comlicated legally (get banned on youtube?) depending on what you intend to do with this).

I think starting with that drum loop you were already starting with a disadvantage.

You could also check out a youtube channel called Riccardo Chiarion - Jazz Guitar. He has (among other things) a series of duet videos, where he playes his guitar part of a duet and leaves the other one out for anyone to jam with him. He hasn't done All of Me though.
    Man ! The goal is not to play virtually with someone you'll never play with, except if he or she is starving and needs some coins.
    I did it, ragman1 did it the way he could, that's more challenging than playing on a perfect thing.
    I want the opposite.
    You're the one who can change this thing by playing.
    Forget the drums, just think it's a metronome or kind of, make beautiful something that is ugly.

User Info Menu

Thanks for trying !
    I wasn't trying, it was too simple :-)

User Info Menu

Lionel is very lonely, he wants everyone to join in with him... so they join in and then he insults them :-)

User Info Menu

Lionel is very lonely, he wants everyone to join in with him... so they join in and then he insults them :-)
    Not at all, I am honoured, I can't find words to say I love you.

User Info Menu

Actually, it was a very good backing track.

User Info Menu

Actually, it was a very good backing track.
    Yes indeed, don't forget that it can be better if you understand it starts at the 25th bar of the tune.

User Info Menu

I just thought it made a nice intro :-)