The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi !

I wanted to share this, insults and comments are welcome.

I was working on this standard, I don't know it very well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Hi !

I wanted to share this, insults and comments are welcome.

I was working on this standard, I don't know it very well.

Agreed, it needs some more work, but you're getting there. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.
    Great !
    Just a question, when someone says he or she feels like a cup of tea do you ask to yourself if a cup of tea feels something ?

User Info Menu

Again !

User Info Menu

GDS is commonly played in C and Eb. I like to play it in both: First A and B in Eb, second A and C in C.

As good a tune as it is, it's even better in two keys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    GDS is commonly played in C and Eb. I like to play it in both: First A and B in Eb, second A and C in C.

As good a tune as it is, it's even better in two keys!
    Why don't you add A and F# ?

User Info Menu

Bronislaw Kaper - Polish composer wrote this tune.

User Info Menu

Bossa to swing triggers me. :P I think swing in 2 then to 4 sounds much more accurate and tasteful.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Last edited by Lionelsax; 11-12-2022 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting! It always takes some guts to throw yourself into the open.
    Your are good on the way.
    First of all, when you are recording chords with your guitar, try to avoid the high e string, because, like in your recordings, the high note of your chords will class with your solos .So don't play your chords in the same register as where your solo.
    Second, try to focus more on the offbeat in your solo. You have a tendency to downpick and to start and stop on the heavy beats (1, 2 ,3 and 4) instead of 1and, 2and, 3and or 4and.
    F.e. in your part 1 video you play on 2.50 a lot of down beats, which takes the swing away. If you would have focused (which means an other feeling in the picking hand) on the off beat, you probably would never have played that and would have gotten other ideas.
    So my main take and advice is: focus on the off beats with your picking hand, it will make things more rhythmically.
    Hope it makes sense, good luck

Hans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatim
    Thanks for posting! It always takes some guts to throw yourself into the open.
    Your are good on the way.
    First of all, when you are recording chords with your guitar, try to avoid the high e string, because, like in your recordings, the high note of your chords will class with your solos .So don't play your chords in the same register as where your solo.
    Second, try to focus more on the offbeat in your solo. You have a tendency to downpick and to start and stop on the heavy beats (1, 2 ,3 and 4) instead of 1and, 2and, 3and or 4and.
    F.e. in your part 1 video you play on 2.50 a lot of down beats, which takes the swing away. If you would have focused (which means an other feeling in the picking hand) on the off beat, you probably would never have played that and would have gotten other ideas.
    So my main take and advice is: focus on the off beats with your picking hand, it will make things more rhythmically.
    Hope it makes sense, good luck

Hans
    Thanks for your bravery !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Bossa to swing triggers me. :P I think swing in 2 then to 4 sounds much more accurate and tasteful.
    Agreed. I heard someone do it like that and it sounded much better.

User Info Menu

I'll comment, as you've asked for comments. You know you want me to :-)

I agree with the poster who said if the chords are high it interferes with the high soloing.

I want you to do it on sax because I think you sound good at that.

With guitar...

I was working on this standard, I don't know it very well
    Exactly. You have to know it much better to sound convincing. It's not an easy tune to solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'll comment, as you've asked for comments. You know you want me to :-)

I agree with the poster who said if the chords are high it interferes with the high soloing.

I want you to do it on sax because I think you sound good at that.

With guitar...

Exactly. You have to know it much better to sound convincing. It's definitely not an easy tune to solo.
    I'm not sure !

User Info Menu

Exactly. You have to know it much better to sound convincing. It's not an easy tune to solo.
    This is definitely one NOT to get caught chasing changes on that C section.

I pare it down to one chord per bar...F-, G7, C-, D7, C7, Bb7, Eb...

User Info Menu

That's what I did, except the G7 is harmonic (Dø - G7#9), so I think I did F mel over it, can't quite remember. And the D7 is harmonic as well (C mel).

User Info Menu

That's what I did, except the G7 is harmonic (Dø - G7#9), so I think I did F mel over it, can't quite remember. And the D7 is harmonic as well (C mel).
    Yeah, I mean, you still have to think of context...G7 doesn't just mean G B D F.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    I'm not sure !
    I'm not sure you knew it that well back then either! Try one now, up to date.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, I mean, you still have to think of context...G7 doesn't just mean G B D F.
    I know, and I thought you probably meant that. I don't think you'd have got it wrong but I didn't want to assume. So do we get to hear a version?

PS. I found my little notes from when I did it, at least one of them. For that section I've got

Fm - % - Cm - %
    Bbm - Bm - EbM7 - Bb7+

(+ is my s/hand for alt)

User Info Menu

I know, and I thought you probably meant that. I don't think you'd have got it wrong but I didn't want to assume. So do we get to hear a version?
    I'll try to cook one up. Might have a few minutes this afternoon. But I think I want the Latin A sections on the head.