The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Could anybody advise me a good jazz guitar method.
    I play mostly blues guitar or songs of santana and also play fingerstyle on a classical guitar (I like Chet Atkins, Earl Klugh, Baden Powell, Charlie Byrd....). The only scales I know are the pentatonics and the major scale.
    I am looking for a progressive guitar method (some guitar method I've seen go to fast) that would help me learn theory, improvisation...
    Thanks for your advice!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two things. Just start here with this website. It has a ton of information to get you started with theory and introducing you to basic improve. Its also free!.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-guitar-lessons/

Next just find a teacher. No book can replicate what you could learn in 45 minutes from an experienced guitar instructor. There are a million teachers online and probably in your community. Almost all of them do lessons on-line and its usually a-la-carte, and even sometimes the first one is free. This way you can find the best teacher for you.

For the cost of a book you can have an actual human being with decades of experience in jazz and teaching give you weeks worth of study in one 45 min lesson.

If you really want to stick with a book, you can choose about any intro jazz book from MelBay and you'll find good results.

Thanks for your answer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antzoul
    Thanks for your answer!
    All of Randy Vincent's books are superb and his most recent, The Guitarist's Introduction to Jazz (reviewed in glowing terms last year by forum regular, Christian Miller) offers all the basics you'll need. Then it's just a matter of finding a decent teacher who can guide you through the topics contained in Randy's book, immersing yourself in listening to jazz - not just guitarists! - and playing out with others at every opportunity:

https://www.shermusic.com/9780997661743.php

Thanks, I'll have a look!

User Info Menu

I have bought and sold quite a few method books over the years. The books I have kept are the ones that I refer back to time and again. As others have said there really is no substitute for a guitar teacher to ensure you are progressing toward your goals. But just like finding the right books, finding the right teacher can be challenging, too. When I gave up on books ... I went to the local clubs, found a guitar player whose style was in line with the sound I liked, and I emailed him. We worked together for three years. It was time and money well spent.

You asked about books: I'll add four to the list that stood up to the test of time for me:

Jazz Guitar, Volume 1, by Jamey Aebersold, adapted by Corey Christiansen. This is Jamey's intro to jazz, revised by Corey for guitarists. There is a lot packed into this book. You won't necessarily read it front to back - but it's all there, at the right level. It doesn't take you too deepinto any rabbit holes. The backing and demo tracks are included.

Easy Jazz Guitar: voicings and comping by Mike DiLiddo. This is also a Jamey Aerbersold Jazz book. It's actually his Volume 54 Maiden Voyage compilation, adapted for guitar by Mike. Like the original Volume 54 book includes a dozen or so great jazz tunes and it's where many players start - no matter what instrument they are learning. Each tune is supported with a backing/demo tracks. And in the book - he provides chord shapes that range from basic, sixth and fifth string roots, to inversions and altered chords.

The Real Book Volume 1: Many players agree most of we need to know is in the tunes. Real Book 1 this is the first of many volumes, and it has hundreds of charts. You can order the backing track set for a couple hundred of them to compliment it, if you like. I think it's better to make your own, because you'll be working the melody, the harmony, and the rhythm before you begin improvising your solos.

Jazz Chords, by Don Latarski: this is a great tool to begin to memorize chord shapes with roots on the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings. Don also introduces some of the basic song forms. It's more functional when taking on a Real Book chart than DeLiddo's book, though that book, too, includes a chord chart.

Don't worry too much about buying a book and finding it's not a good fit for you. That is part of the journey. You'll very likely be able to flip it here on the JGF.
    Last edited by Bflat233; 10-29-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks for your very complete answer.

After some review, I am considering starting the complete jazz guitar method by Jody Fisher, seems to be a good method.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antzoul
    Thanks for your very complete answer.

After some review, I am considering starting the complete jazz guitar method by Jody Fisher, seems to be a good method.
    That's a standard, and it's been out there a long time. It was the first method book I bought maybe 12 years ago. If you want a stepwise, logical progression into Jazz guitar, I have to agree with PMB - Randy Vincent's The Guitarist's Introduction to Jazz is one of the best available today. I don't think you would be sorry if you start with that one.