The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 89

User Info Menu

Most of the guys I played with are dead.
    My oldest friend crawled into the bottle and shakes so bad he can't play.
    Younger guys think I'm too old and won't give me a chance.

So I posted ads online to hire musicians for my band that I didn't have. I sold three on the idea of dumping bar gigs and making money on weddings, anniversaries, and corporate gigs.

We put together 3 sets, soul, r&b, and classic rock. Then we went after the bands that had the most gigs at the highest price. We cut their price by 10% and soon we had lots of gigs.

Later we added two jazz sets and two country sets, and we marketed ourselves under three different band names and genres. Our calendars were slammed full. Money was good but it was so hectic that we had to do something different.

Jazz made the most money and had the least competition, (dearer to my heart), We dropped country but we still do some R&B. What we got in return is joy of playing and free time to do other things whilst maintaining our level of income.

It gets tough when you get older. Be creative, Own a PA, Own a practice studio (stuff most musicians can't afford), keep your chops up, take care of your voice. Then you can play what you want when you want all you want.

Last thought – have an exit strategy….

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was desperate to play with someone so I went to this theater that had a blues jam once a month. This guy from Atlanta came in and he was like Amazing on guitar and vocals. He liked my bass and asked the owner if I could just back everyone up. Evidently his band had some gigs in the area and their bass play went to college and couldn't make the out-of-town gigs, so he asked me to fill in. I just got lucky that night, but it usually doesn't happen that way.

User Info Menu

The number of people who say they like jazz actually mean " I played in a band that played Moon Dance " when I was in high school. Some Almond Bros too.

User Info Menu

I liked Moondance but never played it until in the mid 70s, the bride requested it at her wedding, like during the second set. When we played it, the basic vibe was there and the song was recognizable. However, everything, including the words, were optional, made up on the spot.

We had more complements on Moondance, However, one guy said we didn't play it correctly. He said we should play it like the record or not at all. Van Morrison, in concert, didn’t even do that. I thanked him and moved on.

Johnny could walk a bass from here to Sheboygan WI and back, answer/call, comping… Sam kept the rhythm going, I played octaves for leads… we had fun and it worked.

To me that’s jazz. When we put Moondance in our regular set and played it over and over again the same way, that’s Pop. So am I a jazz player or something else?

An Honest Question . . . Intended for a Logical Answer-friday-band-jpg
    Last edited by gregunit; 10-28-2022 at 10:25 AM.

User Info Menu

"So I posted ads online to hire musicians for my band that I didn't have. I sold three on the idea of dumping bar gigs and making money on weddings, anniversaries, and corporate gigs." gregunit

Hi, G,
    That's where the money IS today but you're not going to play angry Coltrane tunes and get another gig. One of my friends in Chicago(trumpet) plays with a working wedding/corporate band and works year-round. They do 60's/70's R@B, Soul, and Funk. They're always booked months in advance.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    The number of people who say they like jazz actually mean " I played in a band that played Moon Dance " when I was in high school. Some Almond Bros too.

I'd play in that band.

User Info Menu

It seems like you're in Chicago? I think there are still a few real jam sessions going, and a number of gigs that can open up to invited guests in the later sets. Miles Davis preferred calling jazz "Social Music", and sometimes just getting out to gigs of players you admire is all it takes to get the ball rolling..

There's also a combo class scene at the Bloom School of Jazz. Bloom School of Jazz The 'pay to play' aspect can seem like a drag, but once you factor in what you might have to shell out for rehearsal space and effort finding and scheduling players on your own, it starts to seem more cost effective. I remember other combo classes/community big bands in nearby suburbs (maybe Triton College?) but not sure what still exists.

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    It seems like you're in Chicago? I think there are still a few real jam sessions going, and a number of gigs that can open up to invited guests in the later sets. Miles Davis preferred calling jazz "Social Music", and sometimes just getting out to gigs of players you admire is all it takes to get the ball rolling..

There's also a combo class scene at the Bloom School of Jazz. Bloom School of Jazz The 'pay to play' aspect can seem like a drag, but once you factor in what you might have to shell out for rehearsal space and effort finding and scheduling players on your own, it starts to seem more cost effective. I remember other combo classes/community big bands in nearby suburbs (maybe Triton College?) but not sure what still exists.

PK
    Hi, P,
    I left 4 years ago. I still have many real contacts in the city. Thanks, Marinero

User Info Menu

Fair enough. Best wishes for finding playing opportunities where you landed.

PK

User Info Menu

I would think doing your solo gigs would be a way to find musicians. After 30 years of it...

I met a guy on the golf course in a smallish mountain town in S. Calif. that turned out to be a drummer in a jazz combo. I sent him a youtube link to a couple of tunes of mine. He invited me to bring my guitar to his gig that night and sit in. You never know where an opportunity might come from but having youtube recordings is pretty much a necessity.

User Info Menu

Another way is to take lessons from a popular teacher and ask if the teacher can recommend some like minded players.

Or call a bass teacher and ask if he has any students who might be interested. All it takes to get started is guitar and bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut

PK
    Bloom School of Jazz looks like something I can benefit from. Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

nominations for best bedroom guitarist..........start with
    Grahambop

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    nominations for best bedroom guitarist..........start with
    Grahambop
    c’mon man, I never play guitar in the bedroom, the acoustics there are terrible!

Seriously, I did gig for a few years in a semi-pro rock/pop covers band, we did a pretty good job and had regular paid gigs, however I got kind of bored with it and preferred to concentrate on learning jazz.

Then work and family took over, but I have jammed a few times over the years with other jazz players.

Now I’m retired I have more time, I might get out a bit more. After years of working hard, I kind of like my current zero-stress existence though, if I don’t feel like playing the guitar I don’t touch it for a week. Or maybe I’ll play classical for a while. Or anything!

Today my wife was playing ‘Sleepers Awake’ on the piano, I liked it so much I found a version for classical guitar and I’ve been playing that all day. I’m very easily side-tracked like that!
    Last edited by grahambop; 10-29-2022 at 10:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I would think doing your solo gigs would be a way to find musicians. After 30 years of it...

I met a guy on the golf course in a smallish mountain town in S. Calif. that turned out to be a drummer in a jazz combo. I sent him a youtube link to a couple of tunes of mine. He invited me to bring my guitar to his gig that night and sit in. You never know where an opportunity might come from but having youtube recordings is pretty much a necessity.
    Hi, F,
    I met a few student CG's and some three-chord Rockers. However, I play primarily Classical Music with a few Jazz and Latin pieces thrown into the mix. I played wine bars, bistros, weddings, wine festivals, corporate events, etc(weekends only) . . . never any clubs/auditoriums like I did as a full-time saxophonist where I met musicians all the time and most wanted to join the band. I played at a wedding once and the church organist stopped by to chat and wanted me to participate in a "music in the schools" program where musicians go to schools and perform for the students. However, the pay was lousy and I was working untold hours in my profession and didn't have the time. However, wherever I played I, frequently, got offers to play elsewhere but probably less than 10% turned into gigs. Great question, F!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Funny, I'm coming from a jam session, I met people I've already known.
    Now they know me better because I played a tune alone, I played with a flautist, just guitar and flute.
    Now they want to play with me.
    I brought my new guitar (cheap Archtop), it sounds really good, the other one too (7 string guitar) and my alto sax.
    The first time I met them a year ago, they didn't say anything because there were too many people who were playing.
    So I played the way I'm used to now, just duet. Even the double bass player enjoyed, I was playing with the saxophonist, he couldn't resist.
    So if you play solo guitar, good players will want you, you won't be lost in the middle of other musicians.
    I know, I'm not a phenomenon but my way of comping changed everything tonight, plus I wasn't looking at a Real Book, everything was in my head.

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to be funny but maybe "grow your own"?

(As has been mentioned, more or less)
    ....if you have the time for it, go to the local blooze jam you'll no doubt spot a couple people who can play among the many who cannot. Gauge their interest in doing what you wanna do. Train 'em up as needed. Maybe a longer term type of project, but it's an idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    I'm not trying to be funny but maybe "grow your own"?

(As has been mentioned, more or less)
    ....if you have the time for it, go to the local blooze jam you'll no doubt spot a couple people who can play among the many who cannot. Gauge their interest in doing what you wanna do. Train 'em up as needed. Maybe a longer term type of project, but it's an idea.
    Well... I don't want to be provocative but everyone plays (very well or very bad) the blues, I mean they bend strings on pentatonics and they are stuck in this thing, then they say they play jazz and are lost in a simple tune.
    Same thing with the AABA form, nothing can be anticipated, they play ABABABAA...
    At the end, they say... Hum... Let's play a blues in A !
    I don't mean they play bad but jazz is not their thing although they know interesting blues standards with original forms.
    When they play good it's another world.
    It's a real culture.
    If you want to play jazz, do it with someone who knows what's happening.
    Nobody wants 3 hours of rehearsal that look like 3 hours of teaching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Well... I don't want to be provocative but everyone plays (very well or very bad) the blues, I mean they bend strings on pentatonics and they are stuck in this thing, then they say they play jazz and are lost in a simple tune.
    Same thing with the AABA form, nothing can be anticipated, they play ABABABAA...
    At the end, they say... Hum... Let's play a blues in A !
    I don't mean they play bad but jazz is not their thing although they know interesting blues standards with original forms.
    When they play good it's another world.
    It's a real culture.
    If you want to play jazz, do it with someone who knows what's happening.
    Nobody wants 3 hours of rehearsal that look like 3 hours of teaching.
    ...that was the "train 'em up" part I mentioned.

"...it's like Mustang Sally... but has a lot more chords ...."

User Info Menu

"Nobody wants 3 hours of rehearsal that look like 3 hours of teaching." Lionelsax

Great point, L! This is THE difference between Pros and Pretenders. And, this is exactly what we did in my high school bands in the 60's if we wanted to get up to speed to play a gig. Pros don't do it. You get a call . . . show up . . . play the gig like a good plumber and go home. If you can't cut it, most will tell you to pack up and go. I once got a call from J.L.--a Chicago Jazz vocalist who used to hire me when she needed a flute player for Bossa gigs. She said her drummer called in sick and needed someone immediately. So, I had a friend who was a good R@B drummer who wasn't working and sent him to the gig. I got a call about 1 1/2 hours later and he told me he was on his way home. I asked him what happened and he said he couldn't cut the music and they sent him packing and played the gig without a drummer. He said he was never so embarrassed in his life. The next day, J called and told me "Don't ever send me a pop guy to do a Jazz gig . . . " I said I honestly thought he could do the gig and was very sorry. However, the drummer was a very good R@B/Funk drummer, and I'd call him in a minute for one of those gigs. Jobs/rehearsals are not classrooms for developing musicians.
    Marinero
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Why do you want to gig.... you sound like you can't really play jazz anyway. You need to be able to entertain , right. That means you already need to have the playing and music together, and then be able to walk and chew gum, play and be able to talk about it while your doing it ... and not be in some trance, at least most of the time ...LOL.

I get calls for gigs because I can cover and I can run or direct a band etc... there are lots of guys that can do this.
    I've hosted lots of jams with different house bands ... for years on off nights which helps with bring in more working pros etc... known names to help with promo etc...

I also have all the charts and books, or can make them. And the sight reading thing isn't just standard charts like Big band or pits etc... You need to be able to read lousy and poorly notated charts and be able to see and hear what the chart really means...LOL. (not uncommon.)

I also always make contact with audiences... and I make the front person sound better. Being a great soloist isn't always the point... but you need to be able to burn or develop heart felt magic etc... like now. If you can bring an audience, you'll get local gigs easily. ( disclaimer...I also work with agents)

If you can't do this.... play for free, talk your way into gigs and develop your band. Be reliable and on time. It will happen or it won't. Nothing wrong with trying. Not Trying or talking about it usually doesn't work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Why do you want to gig.... you sound like you can't really play jazz anyway. You need to be able to entertain , right. That means you already need to have the playing and music together, and then be able to walk and chew gum, play and be able to talk about it while your doing it ... and not be in some trance, at least most of the time ...LOL.

I get calls for gigs because I can cover and I can run or direct a band etc... there are lots of guys that can do this.
    I've hosted lots of jams with different house bands ... for years on off nights which helps with bring in more working pros etc... known names to help with promo etc...

I also have all the charts and books, or can make them. And the sight reading thing isn't just standard charts like Big band or pits etc... You need to be able to read lousy and poorly notated charts and be able to see and hear what the chart really means...LOL. (not uncommon.)

I also always make contact with audiences... and I make the front person sound better. Being a great soloist isn't always the point... but you need to be able to burn or develop heart felt magic etc... like now. If you can bring an audience, you'll get local gigs easily. ( disclaimer...I also work with agents)

If you can't do this.... play for free, talk your way into gigs and develop your band. Be reliable and on time. It will happen or it won't. Nothing wrong with trying. Not Trying or talking about it usually doesn't work.
    what's the point of all this bragging and chest-thumping?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    what's the point of all this bragging and chest-thumping?
    Yes, D, exactly . . .
    And, he reads minds and tells fortunes on a crystal ball.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Reg, the jazz bully. LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Efficiency and functionality, what's missing to get a "known name" ?