The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 108 of 108

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    What means JGO ?
    Jazz chords harder than 'normal' chords?-a7230d00-896d-486d-8d23-fd77b51ea116-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you want to be able to play jazz chords.... you might need to understand what it means to play or comp in a jazz style.

I understand it takes time and lots of practice...but you need to put that time into something that actually ends up being what your after.

Do you want to learn Jazz chords or learn how to play chords in a jazz style. The two are very different.

Learning the actual chords and voicings takes time but is very mechanical. Not that complicated.

Learning how to use those chords and voicings in a Jazz style.... is not that easy.

Take a simple I VI II V.... in Bb

What that actually means has many options.. Bbma7...G-7....C-7.... F7 would be the basic vanilla version with basic diatonic musical organization from the Key of "Bb". You then can use that same diatonic musical organization and add extensions to those same chorrds

Ex. The 1st chord Bbma7 could also be,
    Bb triad
    Bbma7
    Bbma6
    Bbma9
    Bbma6/9
    etc... and any other possible voicing using the 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 13, typically the 11th or 4th would not be used because...again vanilla musical practice calls the 11th or 4th,(depending on if your labeling by scale or arpeggio),
    an avoid note, creates too much dissonance for maj./ Min Functional Harmony or Theory... which is organized with guidelines of how notes react to other notes... and which note have more control in those interactions etc..

Anyway the same process would be applied to the other chords and you end up with the vanilla possibilities for chords and voicings for playing that... I VI II V.

Now be able to play those versions of those chords anywhere on the fretboard. That's why I posted the basic versions of Diatonic chords with roots on 6th, 5th and 4th strings as a starting place....

Which eventually will become different notes on top of chords and voicings.... which is starting to understand and be able to play chords in a Jazz Style.

It's complicated only because there are many possible ways to play any chord and many ways to play chords together. Which become " CHORD PATTERNS". Jazz players play Chord Patterns.... not single chords.

But you do need to do the basic work before learning how to play chords in jazz styles.

Ex. How many ways can one play the chords to Autumn Leaves.... and how many styles.
    Last edited by Reg; 11-14-2022 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong

Who is Robert Conti?!
    Someone who's got big hands...
    He is a jazz guitarist and a jazz educator.
    I think he is retired now.
    Home • RobertConti.com

Some dislike his sound and what he says even if he doesn't talk so much.

User Info Menu

I don't know what this thread's about. What is a chord? Something with at least two notes in it? In my day that was called an interval, chords had at least three notes.

And what is normal? Normal for what? Folk music? Classical? Jazz? Normal jazz chords are usually more complex because that's the jazz idiom. So it's no use comparing some 3-chord nursery rhyme with a jazz tune.

And what is hard? Hard to play? Like covering six frets and busting your wrist? Or just unfamiliar fingerings that are actually no more difficult to play than any other chord?

So jazz stuff is more complex than folk music (usually) but that's normal. So, if you're interested, learn it, then it won't be hard :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't know what this thread's about. What is a chord? Something with at least two notes in it? In my day that was called an interval, chords had at least three notes.

And what is normal? Normal for what? Folk music? Classical? Jazz? Normal jazz chords are usually more complex because that's the jazz idiom. So it's no use comparing some 3-chord nursery rhyme with a jazz tune.

And what is hard? Hard to play? Like covering six frets and busting your wrist? Or just unfamiliar fingerings that are actually no more difficult to play than any other chord?

So jazz stuff is more complex than folk music (usually) but that's normal. So, if you're interested, learn it, then it won't be hard :-)
    The thread was originally about me complaining about having to put a bit of effort in to learn a chord study that had some fingerings I'd not done before.

I'm pleased to say that eventually I got it, (but I'm still pissed off about it.)

User Info Menu

Attached Images Attached Images Jazz chords harder than 'normal' chords?-screenshot_2022-11-15-17-25-47-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-jpg 
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 11-15-2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Grahambop beat me to it

User Info Menu

I'm pleased to say that eventually I got it
    Would love to see a video

User Info Menu

I'm pleased to say that eventually I got it, (but I'm still pissed off about it.)
    It gets easier :-)