The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 108

User Info Menu

Exceptions always can be found. But if you were to approach rock guitar or jazz guitar from the beginner's viewpoint, you would find rock chords or jazz chords ahead. The beginner wants to learn guitar and so finds an instruction book or a website that promises to show how to play in the genre. Rock instruction inevitably will be blues-based, while jazz will be straight-ahead. The beginner would have to do some digging to find Tom Verlaine or John McLaughlin. Most instruction will teach the chords associated with the recognisable, mainstream, vanilla examples of the genre. If only it were otherwise, but the market decides.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Holdsworth's hands are amazing - especially to those like me who are awed on the one hand (his) and chagrined on the other (mine). But this is where I'm thankful to be a hobbyist and content with my own goals and limitations to find a way to put my meager musical resources to work... and slimming ambitions into the achievable.... "Hey I can do this" or find another harmony.
    I love my 4 fret, 4 note chords... and even their 2-note and 3-note bro's... and the gymnastics I have to do to play them.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass is quoted as "If a chord is hard to grip it may not be very useful".

So I agree with what Christian said about the F barre chord in 1st position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Joe Pass is quoted as "If a chord is hard to grip it may not be very useful".

So I agree with what Christian said about the F barre chord in 1st position.
    I always use she “short F barre chord”, e.g. when busking House Of The Rising Sun (slow Eric Burdon version) in A minor*:

x 3 3 2 1 1

barring only the 1st and 2nd string.

* one of the first songs I would teach a beginner because it includes most cowboy chords

User Info Menu

Depends. Drop 2 and 3's and adding extensions, I find easy.

Close voicing Johnny Smith chords? Yeah, those are a bee-yatch.

But my hands would be much happier comping 3 sets than playing 5 and 6 string barre chords!

User Info Menu

One of the advantages of learning one's way around the fretboard and basic theory (i.e. chord spelling, simple subs, etc.), is that we can then get away from those 5 and 6 string barre chords and into territory that suits us individually, yet still gets the job done. Good discussion in this thread.

Edit:

Stan Ayeroff created several books of arrangements ranging from standards to pop tunes, to Christmas tunes for solo guitar that work well on an archtop. There is no TAB, so to explore these, one must be able to read standard notation. I have never had a problem with that, but some of his choices of chord voicings are difficult to get into and out of smoothly even with a lot of practice.

Periodically, I revisit these books because the arrangements are interesting and worthwhile to explore. I am always focused on learning my way around the fretboard, voicing chords, and such as my daily warmup. What I have been finding in the last couple of years is that when I revisit these books, I have become much better at revoicing the chords elsewhere on the fretboard for smoother access, subbing some of the chords for more interesting (to me) movement, etc.

In other words, since I have had these books for so long, I can see my own progress in occasionally revisiting them and applying new ideas I have learned since the last time. I am finding that the more I learn about the fretboard and chords, the easier playing music becomes. It has gotten to the point where instead of learning these arrangements, they are becoming a framework from which to create my own arrangements as I understand what the author is doing musically and where I want to take it.

Unfortunately, these books are long out of print and when I see them show up used on occasion, they seem to command (in my opinion) ridiculous prices.

By the way, I THINK that when the OP refers to "jazz chords", he is referring to chords beyond simple triads, which really has little to do with how physically difficult they are to play once you learn how they are spelled and where the notes are on the fretboard so you can make the chords yourself.

To me, "cowboy" chords refer to the simple open position chords. When I have had difficult playing a barre F major chord, I find that one possibility to address that is to lower the nut slots just the tiniest bit (too much and you are in trouble). Of course, there is also finding that general voicing elsewhere on the fretboard too.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Another thing is the number of chord fingerings available and feeling the need to learn how to make use of them.
    Probably as said above might be a case of spreding learning out across too many at a time.
    Like I said, choose a tune, something simple like 'A Train'. Do the chords till they're not a problem. Then do another one in a different key, and so on. Soon you'll realise you're repeating the same shapes over and over. You'll soon get the idea, really.

User Info Menu

Tbh I think the biggest issues with jazz harmony is conceptual

this isn’t hard to play

x x 5 5 5 7

but what is it?

User Info Menu

It's a G6/11

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's a G6/11
    Not a Abmaj7b13#9?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

this isn’t hard to play

x x 5 5 5 7

but what is it?
    Either A–7/9 (9 on top) or Cmaj7 (7 on top) for me. (Barry Harris would say C6 with a borrowed diminished note.)

User Info Menu

Of course, the original question presupposes that 'normal' chords are all easy. Not necessarily!

Jazz chords harder than 'normal' chords?-am9-jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome to the pain vortex

Jazz chords harder than 'normal' chords?-39eb01f3-6913-46ae-8167-53c27bdfd5c1-jpeg

jazz is stupid

It’s like one of those exercises when you think of all the uses of two bootlaces and bucket of sand

in rock it’s one to one, see D, play D.

User Info Menu

I knew it wouldn't have a G6/11.

User Info Menu

If think the jazz chords are hard, the naming conventions will drop your jaw.

I don't know much about x x 5 5 5 7, but I enjoy playing it.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the pain vortex

Jazz chords harder than 'normal' chords?-39eb01f3-6913-46ae-8167-53c27bdfd5c1-jpeg

jazz is stupid

It’s like one of those exercises when you think of all the uses of two bootlaces and bucket of sand

in rock it’s one to one, see D, play D.
    Are you really chording according to that list? I mean some are really useful like a rootless dom13 voicing equals a maj7/b5* or so but all of them?

* The nice thing is that you can shift a say rootless Db7/9/13 (bII7 = tritone sub of V) up a half-step to a Cmaj7/b5 (I).

EDIT: Of course one should know the relationship of each of the 12 notes to the possible 12 roots.

User Info Menu

this isn’t hard to play

x x 5 5 5 7

but what is it?
    You can't fool me. It's xx5557

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Are you really chording according to that list? I mean some are really useful like a rootless dom13 voicing equals a maj7/b5* or so but all of them?

* The nice thing is that you can shift a say rootless Db7/9/13 (bII7 = tritone sub of V) up a half-step to a Cmaj7/b5 (I).

EDIT: Of course one should know the relationship of each of the 12 notes to the possible 12 roots.
    this is from the notorious Ben Monder pdf. I do not use all of these lol.

You can find the whole thing here.
    Google Image Result for https://imgv2-2-f.scribdassets.com/img/document/262256807/298x396/f3c548c278/1566603764?v=1

It’s three pages. A sentence can take years.

User Info Menu

this isn’t hard to play

x x 5 5 5 7

but what is it?
    "All The Chords You Are"

A7#9sus2
    Am9
    Am9/G
    A#6sus2add#11addb9
    A#6sus2b5addb2
    A#6sus2b5addb9

B5add#5addb2add11/F#
    B7b13b9sus4/A
    B7b9sus4#5/A
    BMb13b9sus4/A#
    BMb9sus4#5/A#
    Bsus4#5add5addb2/F#
    Bsus4#5addb2
    Bsus4#5addb9

CM#11/F#
    CM#13/A#
    CM#9/D#
    CM11/F
    CM13/A
    CM7
    CM7/B
    CM7/E
    CM7/G
    CM7b5add12/F#
    CM7b5add5/F#
    CM9/D
    CMb11sus4/F
    CMb13/G#
    CMb9/C#
    C#mM#13b5

D13sus2sus4
    D13sus4
    D#+6addb2
    D#+6addb9
    D#6addb2addb13
    D#6addb9addb13

Em#5add12
    Em#5add5
    Em#5add5add2/F#
    Em7b13/D
    Emadd2addb13/F#
    EmMb13/D#

FM#11sus2
    F#7#11b9sus4
    F#7b9sus4b5
    F#7sus4b5addb2

G13/F
    G13b11sus4/F
    G6add11
    G6add4
    G6add4add14/F#
    G6add4add9
    G6add4addb2
    G6add4addb9
    G6sus2sus4add3
    G6sus4addb11
    Gadd11add13
    Gadd4add13
    GM13/F#
    GM13b11sus4/F#
    GM7add4add6/F#
    Gsus4add13addb11

G#+M#9
    G#+M#9/G
    G#Mb13#9
    G#mMb11#5
    G#mMb13b11

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    "All The Chords You Are"

A7#9sus2
    Am9
    Am9/G
    A#6sus2add#11addb9
    A#6sus2b5addb2
    A#6sus2b5addb9

B5add#5addb2add11/F#
    B7b13b9sus4/A
    B7b9sus4#5/A
    BMb13b9sus4/A#
    BMb9sus4#5/A#
    Bsus4#5add5addb2/F#
    Bsus4#5addb2
    Bsus4#5addb9

CM#11/F#
    CM#13/A#
    CM#9/D#
    CM11/F
    CM13/A
    CM7
    CM7/B
    CM7/E
    CM7/G
    CM7b5add12/F#
    CM7b5add5/F#
    CM9/D
    CMb11sus4/F
    CMb13/G#
    CMb9/C#
    C#mM#13b5

D13sus2sus4
    D13sus4
    D#+6addb2
    D#+6addb9
    D#6addb2addb13
    D#6addb9addb13

Em#5add12
    Em#5add5
    Em#5add5add2/F#
    Em7b13/D
    Emadd2addb13/F#
    EmMb13/D#

FM#11sus2
    F#7#11b9sus4
    F#7b9sus4b5
    F#7sus4b5addb2

G13/F
    G13b11sus4/F
    G6add11
    G6add4
    G6add4add14/F#
    G6add4add9
    G6add4addb2
    G6add4addb9
    G6sus2sus4add3
    G6sus4addb11
    Gadd11add13
    Gadd4add13
    GM13/F#
    GM13b11sus4/F#
    GM7add4add6/F#
    Gsus4add13addb11

G#+M#9
    G#+M#9/G
    G#Mb13#9
    G#mMb11#5
    G#mMb13b11
    Take that Monder! :-)

User Info Menu

There are no jazz, cowboy, rock bla bla bla chords.

There are only chords.

User Info Menu

Ben goes deep harmonic study of each chord in each SCALE ( that is..all chord types)

now you have to "think" in the function of the chord..

so for CMaj7 = Eb13b9#5 you wold have to make those notes C E G B reflect part of an altered Eb13 tonality..

ok..here is where knowledge of the Augmented scale and its chords can help ..the chords in C augmented scale

Cmaj Cmin Emaj Emin Abmaj Abmin (and every note in the aug scale is the root of an aug triad)

another chord found using C E G B = Abmaj7#5#9 .. so the Eb13 can be the V7 going to Imaj7 and using aug scale fragments can resolve to C Maj or min / Emaj or min type flavors and others...

adding in other harmonic devices (min 3rd cycles..triad pairs etc) you begin to "think" in several keys

does this take long to digest and apply to improvisational playing..of course it does.. your a musician..what else is there to do ..practice and compose

User Info Menu

Tbh I take a different message from it which is that after a while thinking of roots and functions and naming chords is clunky af

User Info Menu

I cannot imagine how all that information would be useful to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I cannot imagine how all that information would be useful to me.
    It's useful for those who play all day with another neck.