The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Hi !

I would like to know if it sounds swing or something else.

I modified the video in order to make it more enjoyable...

Slow

Fast

I'm sorry, the solo is not very interesting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, even with those lame canned drums, you're swinging.

User Info Menu

Not the swinging-est thing I've ever heard, but you're in the ball park. (American slang phrase)

User Info Menu

It swung. I liked the solo. I disliked the fast and slow versions.

User Info Menu

I think it definitely swings. And I liked the guitar solo a lot. But to me, it's often the bass that makes something swing, and the other instruments follow.

User Info Menu

Getting there! The backing track isn’t doing you any favours

User Info Menu

I think the Aebersold's backing tracks swing very well and help the soloist swing the right way.
    Well swinging drums are essential - this is my private observation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Getting there! The backing track isn’t doing you any favours
    Which backing track are you talking about ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I think the Aebersold's backing tracks swing very well and help the soloist swing the right way.
    My drummer is very accurate, a bit repetitive but extremely accurate.

User Info Menu

Extremely accurate-it doesn't mean it's swinging.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Which backing track are you talking about ?

My drummer is very accurate, a bit repetitive but extremely accurate.
    the bass and the drums don’t swing

try drum genius

or a metronome. If you can make the click swing you know you are getting somewhere

User Info Menu

Aebersold is a better option too, tho they had good days and bad days

User Info Menu

Yes it swings :-), although the drums almost kills it.

one comment on slowing down a track. You can not do that to get the feel. Never ever. The real musicians delay and hurry are not proportional with the speed. I mean say Wes's delay / hurry is not twice as big on a half tempo. So if you slow down a Wes recording to a half tempo, it is true, you got a learning material, but it is nothing to do with the real music, because Wes never played such an extreme delays/hurry if the real tempo would that half tempo in the real life...

User Info Menu

if one wants a swinging drum, the most universal option is drumgenius app on Android or iPhone, or desktop using Bluestack Andriod emulator.

if one wants more than just drums, then both Aebersold or Hal Leonard jazz backing tracks would do it, covering hundreds of tunes, both having their pros and cons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    if one wants a swinging drum, the most universal option is drumgenius app on Android or iPhone, or desktop using Bluestack Andriod emulator.

if one wants more than just drums, then both Aebersold or Hal Leonard jazz backing tracks would do it, covering hundreds of tunes, both having their pros and cons.
    Thanks for your comment, the drums come from the Boss RC-500 Loop Station despite the drumloop belongs to the "swing" category, it swings like a rusty pan.
    This one sounds better. In fact, to record something accurate I need something like a metronome.
    Ones from the "congas" category sound better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor

Aebersold's whole pieces are played live ... there are some emotions....
    Drumgenius are excellently recorded loops ... like a great metronome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Thanks for your comment, the drums come from the Boss RC-500 Loop Station despite the drumloop belongs to the "swing" category, it swings like a rusty pan.
    This one sounds better. In fact, to record something accurate I need something like a metronome.
    Ones from the "congas" category sound better.
    watch your timing on that dotted quarter figure. Those can be slippery bastards I know ….

User Info Menu

I was surprised to read that Lullaby of Birdland was co-written by Shearing's guitarist at the time, Dick Garcia. For some reason, Shearing didn't give him credit.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you're swinging. The person who suggested using Drum Genius was correct. Those drums loops are MUCH better than the one that you're using. Also, you might want to think about varying the rhythms when you're comping. Right now all of your chordal punctuations are on the "ands" of the beats. It will be much more interesting if you put some of them on the beats as well and just freely mix them up. Sounding good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    Yeah, you're swinging. The person who suggested using Drum Genius was correct. Those drums loops are MUCH better than the one that you're using. Also, you might want to think about varying the rhythms when you're comping. Right now all of your chordal punctuations are on the "ands" of the beats. It will be much more interesting if you put some of them on the beats as well and just freely mix them up. Sounding good!
    Thanks, yes, you're absolutely right about my comping, I should vary a bit. About the drum loops I haven't got the choice, they are into my looper, I confess I didn't check the more interesting, I think I'm going to buy something in order to control it, a switch or a MIDI controller, those are really expensive !

User Info Menu

Actually, I say vary less at first. Make sure you can play a simple Charleston and really groove. Then branch out.

As Emily Remler said: "Nothing's corny if it swings."

User Info Menu

Get rid of everything else except you... and make it swing.

Swing is a living and moving concept. By that I mean... how much you lay behind, (or ahead).... doesn't stay the same. Just like rhythmic figures that work within Forms.... so do swing feels.

When you practice with a tract your not in control of the feel, your a follower of the beat and feel.

I mean most swing feel are triplet based rhythmic figures. The better you can sub-divide... the better your swing feel will get. But for now .... just work on you playing solo and swinging. If you need help try and use longer form or more bar examples. By longer I mean how many bars before the figure repeats.

And quit playing 8th note lines all the time. Same with your comping.... start using triplets, play them until that is your feel.

I liked your post.... seems like your really improving. Sorry if I'm rude or short. I don't babysit

User Info Menu

I thank everyone for your comments.
    Does it swing ? It depends of what you listened in the case of you did it.
    It also depends of what you wanted to hear.
    I'm not really objective when I listen to what I play. A same thing can be acceptable, very bad, good, interesting, it depends of the day.
    When I listen to someone else I'm not very objective either, maybe it depends of who is playing.

I want to quote a great French guy : "Les avis c'est comme les trous du cul, tout le monde en a un !"

I personally haven't got any opinions about it. It could be better or worst, it's like it is.

Some describe Swing like the act of moving an IKEA furniture : everything moves but it stays a furniture.
    Others say that a metronome is more natural than a drumtrack, others talk about Aebersold forgetting I was into loopers.

So, Swing is personal maybe.

I won't give my opinion, it's the only one I've got.

Diversity is humanity, thanks again.

It's time to find a better drumloop.
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 10-12-2022 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I probably made the same mistake, I used other drums.

I like this one but I can't remember where it comes from.

This one is different, unfortunately, I put it on 170 bpm !

For me, the first one swings a bit, the other one a bit less.

User Info Menu

Hey Lionel
    I love that you post and are working on making music....

So how are you trying to make swing feel. It sounds like your rushing or anticipating the attacks.

Here is a suggestion... try playing triplets on each beat... The tempo you posted is fast, really fast.

Slow it down... and try playing triplets with accent on each down beat.

/ '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 / etc... and accent softly the "1" of each beat. Your playing a 1 bar pattern.

Next try and accent the last "3" of the 4th beat triplet ....to set of the downbeat of the Bar.

/ '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 '3' / etc... So same accent on the '1' of each triplet beat and now you also accent the '3' of 4th triplet beat.

After you can lock into this pattern... try accenting all the rest of the '3's of each triplet beat. Your now accenting the '1' and '3' of each triplet.

What you should now be playing is "SWING". There are many versions of the feel, you can push and pull, get behind or ahead... but they are all from this basic feel.

The tempo you were playing Alone Together was probable too fast, slow it down and try and get dirty swing feel going. It's like a 12/8 shuffle at first, but eventually your swing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Lionel
    I love that you post and are working on making music....

So how are you trying to make swing feel. It sounds like your rushing or anticipating the attacks.

Here is a suggestion... try playing triplets on each beat... The tempo you posted is fast, really fast.

Slow it down... and try playing triplets with accent on each down beat.

/ '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 / etc... and accent softly the "1" of each beat. Your playing a 1 bar pattern.

Next try and accent the last "3" of the 4th beat triplet ....to set of the downbeat of the Bar.

/ '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 3 , '1' 2 '3' / etc... So same accent on the '1' of each triplet beat and now you also accent the '3' of 4th triplet beat.

After you can lock into this pattern... try accenting all the rest of the '3's of each triplet beat. Your now accenting the '1' and '3' of each triplet.

What you should now be playing is "SWING". There are many versions of the feel, you can push and pull, get behind or ahead... but they are all from this basic feel.

The tempo you were playing Alone Together was probable too fast, slow it down and try and get dirty swing feel going. It's like a 12/8 shuffle at first, but eventually your swing.
    Ah ! You didn't listen to the right video for this "swing" feel, 170 bpm it becomes other thing.
    The other one is 120 bpm.

On the saxophone we can slur everywhere, on the guitar it is not possible, that "swing" feel is produced by its slurring, it's the way we articulate.
    Most of people say it's triplet feel but it's not true, it's polyrhythm. We play 16th notes with the same articulation (sometimes although they are regular 16th, they "swing" by the way they are articulated).
    Sometimes, I listened to what I play on half speed and I analyse if the notes are articulated the way I want. Maybe they are not, for me they are, I hear what I want to hear, we call this spycho-acoustic.
    So... Why am I talking about this ? Oh yes, I see, I want to emulate a saxophone the way I can.

This was the first time I worked on it (16th notes on "swing"), years ago.

This is Alone Together played on the tenor saxophone, it's not the best thing I did.

Yes, your exercice is very interesting to compensate the lack of articulation on the guitar.

Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate.