The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Hi Reg !

I tried the shuffle but for me Swing has got a little relation-ship with Shuffle not a big one, maybe what I call "little" is bigger than big , as I said, for me it's polyrhythm but I'm not accurate enough to explain what I want to play, all is about articulation.
    OK for triplets... Why thinking about it ?

So, I played a shuffle and I modified the video, I'm sorry, it's a blues.

The Real One

The Fake Slow One

The Fake Fast One (Please, go to the closet before)

The way the comping is articulated makes me think of what some people here call "German Swing" !
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 10-15-2022 at 06:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK, I tried something I know a bit.
    I thought a little more about the shuffle and the triplets.

User Info Menu

Hey Lionel.

That last vid.... was as close as I heard you sound like swing.

What Happens is after that feel become a little more natural.... you start having longer patterns and get ahead and behind the beat with as you like organized articulations.

Also you might try subdividing those triplets into sextuplets. This give you more control of different swing feels without that jerky out of control thing.... swing needs to be locked in.

But again the best I've heard you sound.... I know you've said your a converted sax player, but you might try and work on your technique more. I'm not trying to knock your playing, it's just playing jazz in a jazz style takes a lot of chops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Also you might try subdividing those triplets into sextuplets. This give you more control of different swing feels without that jerky out of control thing.... swing needs to be locked in.
    Thanks very much, I wasn't very aware about this, and yes that's the next step. I was lost in my words and I tried to reinvent the wheel. That wheel is double-time swing.
    Thanks a lot ! You helped me a lot !

I loved the expression : "playing jazz in a jazz style" !

Great !