The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 100

User Info Menu

I've started a youtube channel devoted to Mickey Baker's book, with videos of me playing the lessons acoustically on my Vintage Sultan guitar. I had this book when I was 14 but never understood it, and finally went on to Muddy Waters instead. I am doing these videos because there might be another 14 year-old kid out there who is struggling with this book, a book which is arguably the most influential of all jazz guitar tutors. It was used by Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny, and countless others.

There are lots of ways to play the lessons, and my videos just give a snapshot of how I played them today.

The channel is YouTube - Kanaal van jazzguitarrob

Here is a short video of lesson eight:

I'm not a pro jazz player by any means, but I do play and teach jazz to some of my students, and I think this book still has something to offer a new generation. Even though there have been thousands of jazz guitar books published since the 1950s, this one is still regarded very warmly by many players. Most of you on this site are probably well beyond the level of this book, but I still find interesting things in it.

Tomorrow I hope to video some of the single-note soloing lessons.

Rob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice work, Rob. I'm sure lots of newer players will find those videos useful for getting past the intimidation factor. It's great material, but the old books are a little scary if you don't have any background.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

BTW, I just checked out the videos on your Rob MacKillop Website site. Outstanding! I'll be spending more time there! Good stuff!

User Info Menu

2nd attempt to embed a video:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I've started a youtube channel devoted to Mickey Baker's book, with videos of me playing the lessons acoustically on my Vintage Sultan guitar. I had this book when I was 14 but never understood it, and finally went on to Muddy Waters instead. I am doing these videos because there might be another 14 year-old kid out there who is struggling with this book, a book which is arguably the most influential of all jazz guitar tutors ... Rob
    What an excellent project, and an excellent site. Together with the Michael Joyce site the Mickey Baker book is now really well supported. I too tried to follow this book as a teenager (my first attempt at jazz), but gave up completely confused. I think I gave the book away. Then, around middle age, I made another attempt (the front cover now had photos of Mickey holding a classical guitar); but didn't get much further. That copy went to a charity shop. Then, when I joined this forum, the Michael Joyce site encouraged me to buy it again - it's a lower quality photocopy these days; but then I found an original copy of the 'classical guitar' cover and bought that too, for old time's sake. That means I've bought the Mickey Baker book four times over a period of about 45 years, and although I'm still a 14-year-old kid at heart and taking up jazz guitar as a retirement project, I might make sense of it this time around. The book gives you what you need to know, but is very condensed and offers little in the way of explanation, these videos really help bring it all to life. If only you had made them 40 years ago.

User Info Menu

Thanks, RAQ - your story sounds familar! I didn't know about Michael Joyce's site - must look it up.

I quite like the acoustic sound from this guitar. I keep forgetting it is a cheapo, all-laminate body.

I've now uploaded a few of the single-note lessons. Here's the 'Blues' from page 39, lesson 36, first slow the up tempo:

User Info Menu

What a phenomenal resource, Rob. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Thanks Matt. More to come. I talked quite a bit on the first few videos, but now I've decided to just play. As Frank Zappa said, 'Shut yer mouth and play yer geetar' (sort of).

I've been in touch with Michael Joyce, and will be embedding the videos on his excellent site.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the effort!

User Info Menu

Hello Rob: I am working through the Mickey Baker book and just discovered your video lessons which are thoroughly helpfuil. However, I'm a bit lost at this point with respect to the intended rythms which I'm starting to encounter in lesson 21 and (I'm certain) beyond, etc. I understand musical notation for the classical piano, but I don't yet seem able to make the jump to the guitar. I do believe that it would be totally helpful to be able to hear the lesson #21 played as intended, which perhaps might enable me to "extrapolate" (at least to some extent) with regard to ensuing lessons. Among other factors, I can't figure out if the ties that he utilizes indicate that the subsequent notes of what appear to be tied phrases should not be sounded, etc. Also, I'm having a "bear of a time" identifying which specific frets to utilize when attempting to read actual music, but I am hopeful that this will simply become easier over time with practice. I suspect that "finger economy" is certainly part of the "driving force." Meanwhile, absent a real-live teacher, I sure wish I could hear lesson #21 as a start! Meanwhile, I thank you for your good work thus far!
    Last edited by stanman; 05-06-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling correction

User Info Menu

Thank you again!
    Last edited by stanman; 05-06-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: redundant message

User Info Menu

Thanks. Maybe one day, but I'm too busy at the moment. The curved line above the chords is just his way of reminding you of the underlying pulse. Just hit he chords once, and feel the other beats.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob...I plan on continuing to work on it in any event, and I'll give it a shot as you suggested. Meanwhile, where are you physically located, and do you give formal lessons?

User Info Menu

Rob: Quick question: I'm working through Mickey Baker's lesson number 21 and am a bit stumped. In line #5 measure #4, he calls for a "G9th. flatted 5" chord with the chord chart notation above it identifying it as "chord #33" which is a "G7th. flatted 5th" and not a "G9th." I would guess this is a typo but can you help me to clarify that? Thanks...sorry to be a bother and all that. Appreciate the help!

User Info Menu

Alright mate. Aint got that far myself yet but FYI there is a comprehensive list of errata and subsequent corrections on a PDF in this forum. Can't remember exactly where but I downloaded and printed it off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanman
    Rob: Quick question: I'm working through Mickey Baker's lesson number 21 and am a bit stumped. In line #5 measure #4, he calls for a "G9th. flatted 5" chord with the chord chart notation above it identifying it as "chord #33" which is a "G7th. flatted 5th" and not a "G9th." I would guess this is a typo but can you help me to clarify that? Thanks...sorry to be a bother and all that. Appreciate the help!
    Go to page 19, lesson 19 - here we see chord 33 as G7#5. But, look at the last chord on that page - Db9b5 - it looks identical. So, Mickey wants you to play that shape, but transpose it from Db up to G, which means moving it up to frets 9 and 10.

I agree that it is not 100% clear, but the info is there if you look hard enough. This chord now moves beautifully into C13 (chord 32).

OK now?

EDIT: I forgot to add that he does the exact same thing (transposed) on the lne above - 4th system down, bars 4 to 5 - when he goes from D9b5 to G13...
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 05-15-2012 at 03:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanman
    where are you physically located, and do you give formal lessons?
    I'm in Edinburgh, but give Skype lessons - see Tuition Rob MacKillop ~ banjos, guitars, lutes and more

I'd be delighted to hear from you. I currently teach two others on this forum.

User Info Menu

Hello Rob: I really appreciate your response...it's coming together slowly but surely for me. It has already been absolutely "transformitive" with respect to my understanding of the instrument and my technical capability...and I'm not even beyond lesson #21. While not exactly a neophyte, I never really understood exactly what I was doing, etc. on the guitar (I should say "guitars" as I own nine of them...plus two basses!). Anyway, it's late here and I'm going to head up and probably practice or play a little bit before turning in for the night. I'll take a look at those measures and am confident I can make a bit more sense of it in the light of your imnformative response! Thank you again! Stan III PS: you may know a very old friend of mine in New York who plays astoundingly well. His name is Eddie Diehl. He has a terrific album out with the late Hank Jones (on the piano) entitled: "Well, Here It Is" He did the setup for me on the guitar I'm playing right now.

User Info Menu

I've noticed that with Baker's chords #32 and #33 that it's a bit easlier to utilize a three-fingered approach rather than four by simply barring the lower fret with my inex finger and using fingers #2 and #3 for the additional notes. This seems easier and quicker to form, while freeing-up the #4 finger for any other use. In a convers but similar vein, for years I've always used four fingers to play a diminished chord and, as he suggests using three, I'm having a really difficult time making the transition to using three fingers. When they say "old habits die hard" they're not kidding. "Go figure" or (more aptly) "go configure!"

User Info Menu

Hello guys, gals, etc: I just hit my expected but dreaded "brick wall" in my Mickey Baker journey...lesson #22. I turned the page from lesson #21 and saw nothing but notes in standard musical notation! Oh well...I guess it's time to go to work. I can read for piano but for guitar??? I suppose there's no way around it so I just have to keep the faith in the process and work it out note for note for the time being, and hope it becomes easier and quicker with time and practice. It just seems to take so long to find the correct notes on the fingerboard. Oh well, "with all this horse&%$# lying around...there must be a pony here someplace..!"

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. I subscribed to your channel last week and ordered the book. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I'd like to echo similar sentiments already expressed here: where was the Internet when I was first giving up on jazz guitar many years ago?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    Thanks Rob.
    Thanks, Evan!

User Info Menu

I think this is such a great idea. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

User Info Menu

Rob, thanks for sharing this.

I'd just like to add that you'll get a lot out of watching and listening to Rob's videos.

If you really want to get the most out of this then... Listen to Rob and then record yourself playing the exercises.

User Info Menu

Very pleased these videos are being used. Unfortunately they end with an out of date web address. My main site is Rob MacKillop ~ banjos, guitars, lutes and more where you will see all the Mickey Baker videos, and lots of other stuff.