The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 100 of 100

User Info Menu

Thanks, Lee. Sorry, never seen the Howard Roberts book...Good luck with your journey. Any questions, just ask.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Rob: I hope you're well. Just checking in as I've been "out of pocket" for awhile. Still plugging through my Mickey Baker Book #1 and am currently working on lesson #45, although I'm taking my time. Seems like a good lesson for further developing my left-hand fingering, in particular my #4 (pinky) finger which is a little less consistantly accurate than the others. Also, am looking forward to the subsequent lessons as it appears there are some actual songs coming up along with some interesting-looking new riffs (new for me),etc. Should be fun. Anyway, I hope your book project is developing nicely and, as always, will look forward to your return to the Mickey Baker course and any additional related youtubes that you might post..! Stan III

User Info Menu

Cheers, Stan. Keep plugging away at it. My latest project: Bach On The Banjo | Rob MacKillop ~ Musician

User Info Menu

Hello Rob:

Just "checking in" to see how things are going with you and the rest of the Mickey Baker Course affectionados. I am currently working through lesson #45 and, as with many of the earlier lessons, it was difficult at first but is now playable. One thing I did which really helps with the "context" is that I made a photo copy of lesson #23; which I then leave open on the opposite page of the lesson #45 so I can play any of the runs or leads, and then immediately play the corresponding related 8-bar chord sequence. Another aspect that I have some difficulty with is selecting the most effective fingering for the various runs, as by this point I can play most of them with two or more different fingerings and/or positions, etc. I suppose the ambiguity of it makes it a little bit uncomfortable for me, but then perhaps over time and with practice I'll either settle in with one or the other, or become adept enough with both that it just won't matter..! Anyway, I hope that all is going well with you and your various projects and, as always, hope that at some point you might again have a bit of time to devote to the wonderful Mickey Baker Course videos that you posted as I am certain that everyone else misses them as much as I do..!

Best Regards,

Stan III

User Info Menu

Hi Stan, et al,

I've made it to Lesson 43 (Rhythm Changes) but have taken some time off to work on adding a few new tunes to my repertoire. I expect to get back to the MB course shortly. Only 10 chapters to go. I think I could spend a year of study just on Rhythm Changes. Good luck to you.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Joe:

Thank you. I share your sentiment regarding lesson 43...it is awesome..! It leaves plenty of room to incorporate many of the riffs Mickey introduced in the earlier lessons, as well as to make up new ones as he suggests, providing tons of room to be creative while staying within the chord/rhythm structure. Every time I play it, it's a different experience. Like yourself, I've noticed that the "lessons" have seemed to evolve into "chapters" (which is a good thing I'm sure). At this rate I may never finish the book..! Regardless, let's keep moving forward..!

Stan III

User Info Menu

Rob, your videos are great, all of them. Love the accent too.

As for the MB book, chord form 7, that Gmaj7 is physically impossible for me to play on my guitar (Tele) with my small hands. Maybe I can pull it off up the neck, but I don't think I can ever play it at G. Bb maybe the best I can do. How do people suggest someone like me proceed when this occurs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mjt
    Rob, your videos are great, all of them. Love the accent too.

As for the MB book, chord form 7, that Gmaj7 is physically impossible for me to play on my guitar (Tele) with my small hands. Maybe I can pull it off up the neck, but I don't think I can ever play it at G. Bb maybe the best I can do. How do people suggest someone like me proceed when this occurs?
    I sometimes find certain inversions of chords to be very difficult to play myself. Continue to practice them - you may eventually find that they are manageable - but for practicality's sake, try turning the Maj7 into either a Maj9 (by raising the root a whole step), or a Maj6 (lowering the 7th a whole step).

User Info Menu

For that major seven chord you can eliminate the root and get a very similar voice leading result

x5x477 - Gmaj7(no root)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    For that major seven chord you can eliminate the root and get a very similar voice leading result

x5x477 - Gmaj7(no root)
    Thanks fep, I will give this a try. I'm not too fond of the chord played alone, but as you suggested, I think the voice leading he's teaching is what I need to pick up, so this will allow me to continue.

Jeff suggested a few options, but I want to stay as close to the lesson as possible at this point. I don't have a good enough base to change things and be sure I'm going to digest what the lesson is teaching.
    Last edited by mjt; 12-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Don't be afraid to change a chord to suit your technique. After all, this is jazz, not classical music. Or just play three notes from a bigger chord. Another method is to use a different voicing, say G6 instead of G13, if that is causing a problem. We don't all have big hands, and life is difficult enough already! But if you can play these awkward chords in higher positions, keep doing so - they might be just the right chord sometimes, and over time your hand will open up a bit more.

George Van Eps said that guitarists play too many notes in their chords - three is often all that is need. Freddie Green would concur. You might consider joining us in the George Van Eps thread:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/playe...od-videos.html

User Info Menu

I have the Leavitt book now and will start in the new year so I can learn to read, but I'm still working through this. I knew some of these chords, but it's nice to use them this much to get a work out. I think I going to have to revisit this book when I get a better handle on the changes in more standards, because the subs aren't going to sink in the same way unless I know the changes to a good number of tunes really well first.

Still, I'm having a lot of fun with this book even if most of it is over my head.
    Last edited by mjt; 12-22-2013 at 01:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I've almost gotten to the point of being able the play that full GMaj7th. I can do AbMaj7 no problem now on my Tele. A shorter scale guitar and that chord wouldn't be a problem.

I have a new chord fingering question:

Chord 21, the G7#5b9 chord.

What is the best way to position your fingers on this chord? I've tried playing it in a more open style where my index and middle fingers approach it from an angle almost like they would in the G13 (chord 23) or in a more closed style like I'm fingering the Am6 or 9th chord where the sides of your fingers lay flat again the fretboard. I actually like both ways, just wondering what others think about this chord.

User Info Menu

My fingering changes with the context - where I've just come from, where I'm going, or what decoration I'm going to apply. Same goes for most chords. So, if there are alternatives, learn them all

User Info Menu

Thank Rob, in this case I'm using the same fingers on the G7#5b9, but there seems to be two ways to grip it. I guess that's a better word.

User Info Menu

Rob, I've been spending a lot of time at your website enjoying all of your videos and recorded pieces, wonderful stuff. You've inspired me to spend more time on my instrument, putting in real solid practice than anyone in the last 10 years and I'm seeing gains from it. The pieces you choose, the way you shoot your videos and your demeanor all come together very well. Just wanted to thank you for sharing all that great stuff.

User Info Menu

Many thanks. Sometimes I wonder why I bother, then I get a nice comment like this one. Makes it all worthwhile.

User Info Menu

Many thanks, Jeff. Appreciated. But don't be ashamed

User Info Menu

Hi Rob and all the other MB Guys and Gals:

Been a while since I "checked in" so just want to say hello. Been working on my Mickey Baker lessons #45 and #46 for the past several months and for me they've been kind of like "losing the training wheels," so to speak. Found it a huge help to make a photocopy of lesson #23 and set it up on my music stand next to the related runs in order to play Mickey's "solos" and then the related vamp or chord progression, etc. This has really helped with understanding and developing the musical context. Also, notwithstanding the fingering challenges, playing the various 8 and 16 bar chord progressions musically (rather than just as written) has been a lot of fun and totally rewarding. Using various chord substitutions, rythm variations, arpeggiating, voicing, adding grace notes, etc. while staying within the context of the lesson has just been so much fun! Anyway, tonight I (finally!) turned the page to the next lesson...some new "riffs" and I'm pretty excited about it so I just wanted to let you know that I'm still "on track" with the course and pretty much committed to seeing it through. ( I do hope I complete "book one" before they have me committed!)

Anyway, I hope you are all well (especially you Rob) and just want to say that I really miss the video lessons which were such a tremendous help in getting started.

Thank you again and again!

Stan III

User Info Menu

Well done, Stan, and good luck with the next lesson. You are doing all the right things, and although I know you'd like me and/or others to make videos of the entire book, sorry, that ain't going to happen (not from me, at least) - and that's a good thing for you, because you are going to have to figure it all out yourself, and that is a MUCH better education. You are already doing that successfully, it seems, so start building up that inner confidence, and start looking at lead sheets and working out your own arrangements based on what you have learned from the book. You shouldn't wait until you have finished the book before doing that.

Anyway, best of luck, Stan. Keep it up!

User Info Menu

Hello Fellow Jazz Guitar fans:

I'm a little "stumped" with lesson #47 as written in my copy of the MB book and not sure if it's a "typo" or just very unusual, etc. (I've tried to attach a scan of the lesson to illustrate...not sure if I was successful...but it may have attached in the previous post without this dialogue). Anyway, please take a look at the third example which I've circled. My copy notates the first three notes as a D flat to an E natural on the fifth string using, in sequence, the second and third fingers, and then moving up to the fourth string to an F natural with the first finger. This is the only time this sequence is written as the second half of the measure notates a D flat to a D natural which is far more doable. Further (as written) it then calls for a repeat of the first measure. For some reason, notwithstanding the fact that playing a D flat to an E natural on the same string is extremely awkward and doesn't sound particularly pleasing to my ear, I'm wondering if it's just a typo, or something I've just got to "learn to like!" Anyway, if anyone has the time to take a look, I'd really appreciate any thoughts or feedback on the matter. Thank you so much and, as always, with best regards to all..!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

There are a couple of mistakes on that page. In No. 3, the E natural should be a D natural, in effect doing the same four-note riff three times.

In No.2, the last note in Bar 3 should be Db.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys and Gals and a Special Hello to you Rob:

I have not checked-in for awhile but have been continuing on with my practice and playing through the Mickey Baker course. I finally made it through book one (although I go back to many of the various lessons) and I just have to say that it has truly been a transcendental and transformative experience. So totally worth the effort. My understanding of the instrument along with my technical ability has been vastly expanded. Although I've been "noodling around" with the guitar for years, I finally feel like I am actually starting to know what I'm doing, which is a great feeling. The really interesting thing is that it also flows through to other styles (besides vintage 50's jazz) as well...which is an unexpected and added benefit for sure. So...I've now started on book 2 and guess what? It's a monster! (just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water!). I have spent the past month on just page one and two as the chord forms are fiendishly difficult to cover. Had God given me longer fingers, it might not be so difficult, but "you get what you get..! I actually have to reach over with my rights hand and pull my fingers individually over the required frets to make many of the chord forms. However, each day it gets a little bit easier, and (based on my experience with book one) I have every confidence that if I stay with it, at some point (hopefully soon!) it will become second nature. Also (once again) just stumbling through it has a noticeably positive effect on my overall playing, so it's awesome all around! So...to all you aspiring players out there and fans of the Mickey Baker method, I just want to say "fasten your seat belts" and stick with it...it's really worth the effort!

Stan III

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanman
    Hello Rob:

I just listened to this youtube I found online of Mickey Baker's Lesson #37 and thought it might be interesting to you and helpful to the rest of us Mickey Baker enthuiasts:

Nice work! I've been working on that this week and having a good time with it. (For those who aren't this far in the book yet, the first chorus of the solo is composed, but the remaining choruses leave gaps of two to four bars where the player is expected to come up with his own lines of a certain type---a C7 run, for example. So it's never the same any two times you play it.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    There are a couple of mistakes on that page. In No. 3, the E natural should be a D natural, in effect doing the same four-note riff three times.

In No.2, the last note in Bar 3 should be Db.
    These have been corrected in the "Blue Cover" edition of the book.