The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 100

User Info Menu

"Ok boss....whatever you say!" All kidding aside....thanks for the clarification Rob. It does seem a bit backwards to me, but I'm just going to go with it. Can't wait to get back into something that feels a bit more like music though, but I do understand the importance of finger excercises and scales so I'll just continue "wading through it."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello Rob: I hope you are well as it has been a while...but I've been practicing steadily and continuing on through the MB course book (I recently acquired a 2002 Gibson Super 400 CES and am now living in the state of "guitar bliss!") Anyway, I'm now starting work on Micky's lesson #37 ("Bounce Blues") which seems really difficult to me now, but if it follows-suit with many of the earlier lessons will become more and more comprehensive with practice over time. While the previous lesson (#36) dispelled much of the trepidation I had experienced with respect to reading straight-up musical notation, now I'm facing an even greater demon... the dreaded "Blank Measures!" Just when I thouight it was safe to go back into the water! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to your video of this lesson (#37) and may even treat myself to a listen before I finish working through all of the written notes, etc. as I could really use a bit of direction and would be most interested in your approach to "filling in the blanks" (so to speak). So...as you can well-imagine, I've really got my hands full (in more ways than one!) with the new guitar, am enjoying it immeasurably, and will continue practicing and looking forward to your next video. Thank you for all of the great work and directions you've provided. Stay well! Stan III

User Info Menu

Congratulations on getting a great guitar - I'm very jealous! Regarding the blank bars: that's where you get time to sip beer, sign autographs, chat up the pretty girl in the front row, etc. It was so professional of Mickey to include these bars

User Info Menu

Hey...now I get it...! Thanks..! Pretty girls in the front row? I vote for less talk and more action..!!!

User Info Menu

Rob: Just want to mention that I listened to you play several pieces including Harry Volpe's "My Cherished Prelude" and Mel Bay's arrangements of "Sweet Lorraine" and Mighty Lak' a Rose." Awesome playing by you of incredibly beautiful pieces. Many Kudos..! I wonder if you could direct me to where I might obtain copies of them in some format that I could work with to begin to learn to play those pieces? I'm not certain that the chord progressions and the actual chords you utilized are included in the material covered in the MB book. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I thank you for your suggestions before hand, and will continue on with my journey through the Mickey Baker book irrespective of your response. Best Reqards...Stan III

User Info Menu

Hey, Stan, they are all in one book - "Masters Of The Plectrum Guitar" from Mel By. It's a big book, with both standard notation and tab. Not many easy pieces in it, though.

User Info Menu

Hey Rob: Much appreciated...I just ordered it! I don't expect "easy" most good things don't come very easily...as long as I can make progress, and what could be better than progressing towards something beautiful? Thank you again. PS: Still on the lookout for your MB lesson #37 but also find it advisable for me to go back and review the chord-run lessons.

User Info Menu

Great, great stuff. Thank you so much.

User Info Menu

Rob: Thank you for the direction. At the risk of overstaying my welcome and making a pain in the neck of myself, if you don't mind my asking what strings are you using on your Loar? It sounds just terrific. I've been somewhat "in limbo" as to what to put on my Super 400CES. It was delivered with a set of round-wound D'Addario 12's (which were pretty "weak" sounding and unbalanced) and replaced them with a set of Gibson L5 12's (again, round-wound) which significantly improved the sound balance and response and sound great through an amplifier. I also just purchased a set of Thomastik flat-wound "George Benson" strings which I have not put on the guitar yet, as it is a really big move for me to go to flat wound strings. I am looking forward to the "new experience" though, as I've spent my whole life playing on round wounds. Just worried a bit about the "feel" and whether or not they will be appropriate for accoustic practicing/playing as well as electric. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you again! Stan III

User Info Menu

Rob, I just wanted to drop in here and give you a quick thanks! I just checked out the first video of yours for the Mickey Baker book on YouTube and I can tell how huge of a help these videos will be. Yes, I admit, although I'm 31, I had some of the same feelings you did when you were 14 when I started going through the book. It's so amazing when you hear what the book is teaching. It somehow all sort of clicks and comes to life when you hear it. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Hey Rob:

I answered my own string question by visiting your site and listening to a couple of your performances within which you mentioned the strings you were using as being initially the round-wounds that came with your Loar, and then going to the flat-wounds, etc. Regardless, I went ahead and put the flat-wound Thomastik's on my guitar as I had worn out the set that was on it and it was time for a change anyway. I have to admit that they sound great and I'm really enjoying playing with them. I particularly like the balance in volume and tone that they seem to provide, particularly when transitioning from the 2nd to the 3rd string (plain to wound). Also, they're a lot "easier on the fingers" due to their smootheness vs. round-wounds (which I have used all my life). Meanwhile, "back at the ranch," I'm making pretty good progress with lesson #37 and it's actually starting to sound like music. Still a bit "hung-up" on the blank measures though, although I'm mostly just filling-in with the required chord runs as written in several of the previous lessons, etc. Kind of hard though not to improvise and "Jazz it up" a bit, although from a certain perspective that's the object of the exercise! Once again, I'm really looking forward to your next posted lesson which I believe will be #37, to share your "take" on the whole deal. Thank you again and best regards!

Stan III

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys, for all the nice comments.

Stan - I don't know if I'll ever get around to no.37, - I'm in the middle of writing a book on 19th-century guitar improvisation, which is taking up all my free time.

Strings - I prefer roundwound on acoustic archtop guitars, flats on electric archtops.

Cheers,

Rob

User Info Menu

Some Great material on your channel Rob, thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Thanks, bondmorkret!

User Info Menu

Hey Rob:

No problem...will miss your terrific guidance for sure but the book you're writing sounds pretty demanding. I presume by "19th. Century" you're referring to the approximate years between 1800 to 1900 which would certainly be quite a challenge particularly as there are probably very few (if any) recordings from that period, and I would guess that most of what was played was not in any written format, etc. As to the Micky Baker lesson, my approach brings to mind the words of the much-loved immortal bard Elmer Fudd: "Dwat....foiled again....but I'll get you you willey wabbit!"

Best Regards,

Stan III

User Info Menu

Hello Rob (and the rest of the guys n' gals) just checking-in to see if a youtube of lesson 37 might have "magically" appeared. I pretty much have the lesson down already anyway, but I am really looking forward to eventually hearing another players' approach to the creative components provided for throughout the lesson. Have to say that it's probably the most fun lesson I've worked through to date. I am currently up to and working on lesson #40 (bridges) and having a little bit of a "time of it," but my experience with many of the previous lessons is that with practice each day they become a bit easier until finally "Voila...there it is..!" Personal to Rob: I bought the book you recommended and am also working on "My Cherished Prelude" (written by Harry Volpe) and am enjoying it immeasurably. Some pretty "fiendish" chords though, but again, with time and patience..! He must have been a truly amazing person to have studied with. Well, gotta sign-off for now but to any or all of you fellow Mickey Baker fans especially any of you who might not be that far along yet: stay at it...it's a trip well-worth the price of admission..! Stan III

User Info Menu

Well done, Stan, for sticking at it. You are doing the right thing.

User Info Menu

Hello Rob: Faithfully working on my Mickey Baker...what a joy it is when a lesson begins to come together...especially one that might seem a little difficult initially (like lesson #40)...it's nothing short of exhilirating. The difficult part is determining which position to play the various chord runs, but I'm just opting for "economy" in my fingering which seems to be working out pretty well. By-the-by, I just listened to your performance of Guiliani's "6 Sonatinas," awesome! It was (obviously) a bit ignorant of me to suggest that there probably wasn't that much written guitar music from the 19th century...the fact is that science still has not invented instrumentation sensitive enough to accurately measure how little I know! Anyway, if you have a moment, check out a guitarist by the name of Ana Vidovic...she is a stunning musician...maybe as good as it gets. Plus....she can "sit in my front row" any day (you'll understand that comment when you see her!). In any event...as always....thank you for your great music, advice, and ecouragement...will keep working on all fronts..! Best regards to all...Stan III
    Last edited by stanman; 04-21-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: error in grammer

User Info Menu

We are all ignorant to an alarming degree, but, yes, I have heard Ana Vidovic.

Cheers, Stan. Keep working!

User Info Menu

Rob: Just listened to you playing "Modern Etude" by Harry Volpe. Great piece...great performance! Regards...Stan III

User Info Menu

Hello Rob:

I just listened to this youtube I found online of Mickey Baker's Lesson #37 and thought it might be interesting to you and helpful to the rest of us Mickey Baker enthuiasts:

It certainly "steps it up" but I think it helps by putting the lesson into a different musical perspective.

Enjoy!

Stan III

User Info Menu

Excellent!

User Info Menu

Hi Rob -- Just finished MB Lesson 22. Loved your tip (around 4:15 on video) about playing D-7, F-7, E-7 over II-V-I (D-7, G7, Cmaj7). Very cool! Thanks, Joe

User Info Menu

Cheers, Joe!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your effort, Rob. I am just beginnig my journey (as a 50 year old) and your vids have been great for my first couple of baby steps...will continue to use your excellent material.

Would like your thoughts on the Howard Roberts book.

thanks again

Lee