The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Hi,

I often wanted to learn Jazz guitar, trying many video tutorials, but I just dont like the songs they play, it just does not register with me

Now, every time I hear Ghibli Studio scores, or for instance, this video of Charlie Day playing these wonderful bits

- what is this sort of Jazz called ? is it even considered Jazz ?
    - what chord progressions could these be ?

thanks for enlighting me

Phil

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He noodles and then played a measure or two of some Tchaikovsky and Satie. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo
    He noodles and then played a measure or two of some Tchaikovsky and Satie. That's about it.
    titles of the songs ?

and what about studio ghibli kind of music ? how is it called ?

User Info Menu

Ghibli music is 33%
    , 33% modern extensions of traditional Japanese music, and the rest a mixture of modal jazz and 1970s pop sounds.

If you want to play that kind of music you on guitar your best bet would be getting Japanese Ghibli guitar books with the songs you like. There's certainly that kind of material available in Japan, and you can probably find a way to order it and get it into your country.

Also look up Joe Hisaishi, the Ghibli house composer. He's a film music genius. There are a lot of videos on Youtube about Hisaishi's style (search "Joe Hisaishi chords" for an example), though they tend to be more about theory and less about how to play the music.

This kind of music is probably a lot easier to learn on piano, by the way. It isn't that the music can't be played on guitar, it would just be much easier to find instructional material at all levels for piano.

thanks

do you know any similar kind of jazz song on the guitar ?

User Info Menu

The first one is a popular form called "one and two" used in many tunes.
    Its progression is " I ii " as in Major then Minor up a whole step, repeats.
    The second one, (a little shaky) is the start of Debussy's "Clair de Lune".
    I bumped through the rest of video three minutes a hop, no more music?

nop, thanks