The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 52 of 52

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PjzzaPie
    I want to clarify that I was never intending to play chord melody under a vocal, but rather between vocal sections. For example, I'd love to be able to do what Joe Pass does here in Moonlight in Vermont, around 2:05.

It's not the exact vocal line, but something with similar enough contour. Earlier in the thread mr. beaumont suggested not quoting the melody verbatim, and I've taken that advice to heart. But I still consider Joe Pass' instrumental break a 'chord-melody' style passage, even if it's not 'the' melody.
    Right, and really there's nobody better at it than Joe was.

It's just a terminology thing really, and one of the reasons I dislike the term "chord melody," as it's just so guitar-centric. Piano players call it "playing the piano."

Generally, I see guitar players use it when specifically talking specifically about playing the melody to a tune on top of chords. If it's an improvised solo, then it's a "chord solo"...or more likely a mixture of single note lines, doublestops, chords, bass movements, etc. But I've also seen completely written out chord "melodies" called chord "solos." Very confusing to someone trying to make heads or tails of it.

Really the only "rule" is don't try to play the melody while the singer is singing the melody. Other than that, be creative, mix it up, and have fun. For example, in a solo section, playing very close to the melody (with chords) for the A sections can sound great, and then have the singer come back in on the B. It's simple, and it works.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I always figured 'chord solo' referred to a solo that was essentially made of chords (with an incidental melody on top, but not a rhythmically independent melody). Like what Bucky does here at 2:25

I don't think I would like to do this in a duo with a vocalist though.