The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fleaaaaaa
    Any chance I could see how you play after 9 months? Or alternatively did anyone in the long thread you mentioned post anything?

Still looking for my next long term jazz study but I want to see where this course leads. Even a lo fi phone recording would be ok.
    I don't have any recordings of what I sounded like 9 mos ago, at least not in the bebop idiom, so you'd be hard-pressed to see how much of my current playing is informed by Zellon's course. Also, 9 months is not a long period of time when it comes to studying this music, especially bebop. So, even if I did have a 9-month old recording to compare to, the results may not be obvious to the listener.

I can report that I have a better understanding of the fretboard, a fingering system that will enable me to move up, down, and across the fretboard, and an improved ability to create, albeit not necessarily perform in the moment, bebop lines. That last part is where the daily practice comes in.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I recommend Jens Larsen's roadmap course. I'm learning a lot and it's opened up my playing a lot. It has limitations, as it focuses on one key and one position. I think if he could expand to include the whole neck of the guitar, and include other songs in other keys (he focuses on "Take the A Train") it would be comprehensive. That said, I still recommend it highly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    I recommend Jens Larsen's roadmap course. I'm learning a lot and it's opened up my playing a lot. It has limitations, as it focuses on one key and one position. I think if he could expand to include the whole neck of the guitar, and include other songs in other keys (he focuses on "Take the A Train") it would be comprehensive. That said, I still recommend it highly.
    Cannot agree more. It was my starting point and unlocked jazz to my. From ther I went for a private instructor.

User Info Menu

I purchased Band In A Box awhile ago and the backing tracks are just OK but not that great.
    ..........purchase some real tracks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    ..........purchase some real tracks
    +1 to this.

BiaB is one of the best, worst pieces of software I've ever used. The UI is abysmal, features that should be simple - like changing the count-in - have been missing for years, the audio output device seems to change randomly between reboots of the app. All of this is referring to the Mac version; Windows may be different.

All that said, it's the "best, worst" because the real tracks are pretty incredible. It's the closest you'll feel to playing with a real group without actually playing with a real group.