The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi folks, has anyone here had experience with the Jazz Bootcamp on Pickup Music? I'm still on the two week trial. My first impression is that it's very clearly laid out and I love the choice of tracks to work on at the end of each grade.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Link?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It looks great to me but I have so many courses on truefire. Best of luck though, I hope it works well for you.

User Info Menu

This, from the page linked earlier in this thread, seems a rather tall order:

In this guided learning pathway, Cecil Alexander and Sam Blakelock will take you from a beginner to advanced jazz guitarist in 2 months.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    This, from the page linked earlier in this thread, seems a rather tall order:

In this guided learning pathway, Cecil Alexander and Sam Blakelock will take you from a beginner to advanced jazz guitarist in 2 months.

Tony

Yeah, "from beginner to advanced beginner" is more like it IF you practice your a-- off... even then, it still seems like an unrealistic promise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Yeah, "from beginner to advanced beginner" is more like it IF you practice your a-- off... even then, it still seems like an unrealistic promise.
    I didn't see that but the course is probably still decent. I saw one for rock that said you'd be a confident player after two weeks. I think that's too short of a time but the course still looked solid.

User Info Menu

...since you asked...

although Cecil himself seems to be authentic to me, others may not... and the whole product is not (authentic)

For example in the Jazz Bootcamp, playing scales over a slow 1-3 meditative backing track is questionable. First of all it would be important to ingrain the 2-4 feel from the beginning. Secondly to allow develop the inner feel, the too dense outer rythm input is not useful. I mean to play a scale in 60, it is recommended to get a 60 (or 30) outer input, not the 120 or sometimes 240 subdivided backing track. (the track is slow, but contains rythm information 120, a bit 240, which prevents to develop and use the inner clock instead.)

Also important is to listen the jazz heroes, now how listening the non plus ultra of a canned elevator music hours per day while practicing helps developing understanding even the basics of jazz?

The other pedagogical smell I sense, the advertisement promises the blazing fast bebop lines. It is weird, because the most important advice for the students to play slow, and the only goal is to get perfect execution and stamina (not speed, which is a side effect if the first two achieved)
    Last edited by Gabor; 08-09-2022 at 09:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Well.... the original poster was enjoying his time with the trial. Every jazz journey needs and first step and no one course gives everything. Even if the promises are too big (a lot of courses online do this) the important thing is the course gets you motivated to play.

User Info Menu

I'm currently halfway through the jazz bootcamp. I think the reason the course says that it takes you from beginner to advanced jazz guitarist in 2 months is because each concept is taught in only one key. If you follow the course as it is written, it will definitely take 2 months with 1 hour a day of practice. If you decide to take each concept in all 12 keys then it will take more time.

I enjoyed the short 1 minute etudes that I had to learn after each grade. There's a choice between modal licks, bossa nova and neo soul. I had to send one video of my playing to be able to progress to the next grade. There's also an interactive quiz that makes sure I understood the concepts taught.

I checked the very last grade and they recommend to go through the modern jazz guitar course, CAGED bootcamp, and Intermediate Guitar soloing course before moving on to the Advanced Improvisation Course by Cecil Alexander.

I can imagine the material might be too easy for an intermediate player with soloing experience but that just means you can breeze through the bootcamp in a few weeks and go straight to the advanced course by Cecil Alexander.

I've been having so much fun on this course. I've tried a lot of courses and but this one has maintained my motivation the best and I look forward to jumping to my other more advanced jazz guitar books after finishing this.

User Info Menu

I'm so glad it's helping, it's all about sticking to it and finding what keeps you passionate.