The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33
    I'm here. Working through book 1, currently on page 81: Waltz For Two (duet).

It's deceptively hard. I find the rest strokes hard, and the rest stroke picking (alternate picking is easier).

I'm not really set up to post videos but wanted to express solidarity. I intend to make it through this book. I also ordered Leavitt's Melodic Rhythms for guitar. I'm working with a teacher on that one. There are free versions floating around but I went ahead and ordered a copy.

Good luck, thanks for making this thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just started playing guitar. I was wondering how people are progressing. The book is going very slowly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jyhiggins
    I just started playing guitar. I was wondering how people are progressing. The book is going very slowly
    I've had a love/hate relationship with this book since 1976. In 2022, I set a musical goal to become a better reader. I read from this book for 15 minutes each practice session. I'm now up to page 112. With consistency and constant review, I believe I may actually complete it sometime in 2023. I'm really happy I stuck with it.

I'm on page 104. "Tres Sharp Duet." (Duet in the Key of A).

20 pages left! It's slower than I like (about 20 pages in 3 months). But I am reviewing, going back over things in a thorough fashion. Trying not to rush it. Great book.

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    I've had a love/hate relationship with this book since 1976. In 2022, I set a musical goal to become a better reader. I read from this book for 15 minutes each practice session. I'm now up to page 112. With consistency and constant review, I believe I may actually complete it sometime in 2023. I'm really happy I stuck with it.
    You're very close! Will you be moving on to Vol 2?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    You're very close! Will you be moving on to Vol 2?
    I'm not as close as you think! I'm probably going to spend the rest of 2023, working on Volume 1 (constant review and getting the exercises up to speed). At my age (60+) and ability (guitar is my hobby), I'm probably better off learning tunes. I do own Vol. 2, so I could easily change my mind. Cheers and good luck!

I noticed your Robert Conti quote. Where is a good place to start with his lessons? Which might you recommend for, say, an intermediate guitarist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    I noticed your Robert Conti quote. Where is a good place to start with his lessons? Which might you recommend for, say, an intermediate guitarist?
    Hi SD2022, I learned a lot from all of Conti's Source Code DVDs. But I was an advanced beginner (i.e., hobbyist) when I started with so much to learn. Also, I really connect with Conti's teaching style and methodology. Without knowing your abilities or goals, let me suggest that you check out the Conti "Ticket to Improv" study group on this forum. Many of us covered all 4 DVDs (16 songs/projects). It was a very focused and well organized group. We roughly tackled 8 bars every two weeks and some of us posted videos. If you check out my first few videos for Volume 1 and then fast forward to the end (Volume 4), I think you will see that I made a fair amount of progress.

Here's a link to the thread "Satin Doll - Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv" for Volume 1, Project 1, the start of the Study Group.
    Satin Doll - Robert Conti's Ticket to Improv

Here's a link to the very last page of the Study Group, Volume 4, Project 4 (Georgia).
    Robert Conti TTI Vol 4 Project 4 (Georgia On My Mind)

Caveat: There was a lot of noise on this Forum about the "hipness" of the Conti TTI solos, but Conti stresses that he is teaching concepts (e.g., arpeggios, chromaticism). There is an example in one of the projects where one of the better players on the Forum joined in a made a Conti stock solo sound very hip! So feel free to take liberties.

Good luck!
    Joe