The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

My first post here, also want to say thanks to fep for posting those vamps. I've just begun studying the Goodrick book.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To MUSICJOHNNY

The sus chord has no 3rd but a fourth instead

User Info Menu

Right on folks. I'm glad you found this thread and brought it back to life

User Info Menu

Much appreciated Fep and everyone! I just got through jamming to the C Ionian and the D Dorian in the key of C using your modal vamps.

I just recently got the Advancing Guitarist as well. I am noticing the difference in the way the two modes feel and was able to come up with some little melodies. I have only just begun to conceptualize the modes as internal to the major scale and this is very exciting.Very cool
    Last edited by Will Glen; 02-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks... great stuff here

User Info Menu

Hello Everyone--

I am just new to this site today and came across this thread. I too recently purchased TAG, and will be downloading the vamps here. Plenty to learn in the first few pages, but jeez what a steep learning curve!

There is a non-guitar book/CD set that might interest some of you. It is called Hear It and Sing It: Exploring Modal Jazz, by Judy Neimack. It is a vocal workout on each of the modes--very nicely produced.

I got it for my son, who is learning to sing, but I find that I also like to sing along to it in the car, as it helps me to internalize the modes.

It also has modal vamps for improvisation (scat singing!), but I think they are all in Bb.

This is a nice, friendly site, with a lot of great contributions. I'm glad to have found it.
    Last edited by Jonzo; 02-28-2012 at 02:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I took the chords that Fep used and entered them into the free program Impro-Visor. Not as snazzy sounding as Fep's BIAB files, but now I can transpose them and change the musical style.

So, have any of you been doing the recommended exercises from TAG? How's it going?

User Info Menu

11 years later, it appears Fep's mp3 vamps are no longer available. Does anyone happen to still have them and willing to share?
    Last edited by Maroonblazer; 04-02-2021 at 11:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Here are some posted on YouTube

Modal Vamps Playlist

User Info Menu

I bought the book when it came out - early ‘80s? I used one of these to record the vamps - I filled one side of a 60-minute cassette with each vamp, varying up the rhythms and arpeggios.

Help with The Advancing Guitarist (Mick Goodrick)-67df8d22-cb8c-4bdb-8d4e-d73fc8df1477-jpeg

I would still recommend it. You get to hear just how “good” your time, touch, and endurance is while you solo over the vamp.

Here’s a new one:
    Amazon.com
    Last edited by maxsmith; 02-20-2022 at 09:43 PM.