The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been away from guitar awhile. Just retired and should have some time to spend with guitar. I have a background in country/ Travis Adkins style. I am now interested in jazz and would like to do some wood shedding. Need some essentials. Any thoughts between Rich Severson or Barry Greene video courses?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hi

You will most likely get many responses with different opinions. So here is mine I've attached a sheet of very common jazz grips that will get you a long way.

Jazz is all about playing songs. So start with the ubiquitous Autumn Leaves. Learn how to play the chords. Learn how to play the melody in multiple locations on the fingerboard. Learn how to read music if you don't already. It is not difficult to learn how to read music. Learn how not to waste your time watching jazz lessons on YouTube. But do watch and LISTEN how others approach the song(s).

Once you get the song going trying playing some chords and switching back with a little melody; comp for yourself. Really get this tune internalized. Play it to backing tracks (plenty on YouTube). Play it to drum loops (Drum Genius). Really stick with song until you can make something out of it. Really know it.

THEN pick another standard you like and do the same thing.

Rinse and Repeat. Enjoy the ride.

If you can, get a qualified teacher to help you with the above. There are many tools to help you along the way, some very useful but don't get distracted with them. Having the instrument in your hands as much as possible is the key. LEARN SONGS.

Barry Greene's videos are fantastic but a deep dive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alltunes; 06-21-2022 at 09:04 AM.

User Info Menu

The only thing to add is find other people to play with. You can probably find a horn player at a local blues jam.

User Info Menu

There's lot of advice... and generally good advice. But if your comin from Travis Adkins style or country rock thing... why Jazz? It's a different world.

Your just not going to have the time to really learn how to play jazz tunes... and what really make one a jazz player is how he or she... plays the tunes, not just learning the tunes.

I would think you might like jazz blues tunes and the playing style of jazz blues. Not that far from country rock. And very fun to play.

Reg I really respect your knowledge and have seen you skills on videos here. What you say makes al lot of sense. I think a lot of people miss the importance of listening and ear training. I have so much music in my head from my years of playing country and bluegrass. It would take many years to really get the jazz in my head. Jazz blues would be a good supplement to my Atkins / Travis stuff. It will also teach me some cool stuff to throw in the music I already know. Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Barry Greene has a package of videos he calls Stepping Stones that set out basics. He also has a course of study that takes you through his videos in a recommended order.