The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought I'd share this really good video by Denis Chang.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The video is over 2 hours long and titled "Practicing Is A Waste Of Time! My Experiences Learning Japanese, Gypsy Jazz, Trad Jazz, Bebop Guitar"

I've watched the first 30 minutes of this video. It was a waste of my time. It takes him 30 minutes to land the obvious point that immersing yourself in a language, whether it's music or a spoken language, is important.

First impression is best impression and this video fails on all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroonblazer
    The video is over 2 hours long and titled "Practicing Is A Waste Of Time! My Experiences Learning Japanese, Gypsy Jazz, Trad Jazz, Bebop Guitar"

I've watched the first 30 minutes of this video. It was a waste of my time. It takes him 30 minutes to land the obvious point that immersing yourself in a language, whether it's music or a spoken language, is important.

First impression is best impression and this video fails on all accounts.
    Well I happen to think it's a gem of a video. It's not the only material you'll ever need and it rambles for sure (I don't mind). But I would put it in a top 5 of videos or other material for anybody wanting to get ahead, beginner or otherwise. When many will practice for hours every day, or for decades, only to plateau and never even reach what Denis calls a "decent" level, two hours isn't necessarily a waste of time. On the other hand he says anybody can become "decent" in two or three years, without sacrificing every thing else. He questions many sacred cows, like the 10 000-hour rule, regimented practice, standard guitar pedagogy, playing with a metronome, etc. Kicks them unceremoniously to the dustbin, where they belong. Favors individuality, sound understanding of mechanics, nuanced hearing, learning from the masters. It's a harsh and a hopeful message all at once that will fall on many deaf ears, that's the nature of it. But he is 100% spot on of course. Not to mention some anecdotes which could have been in Berliner's Thinking in Jazz. Denis has met and learned from the who's who of gypsy jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this video. What a nice guy! Have subscribed to his channel.