The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Hi All

I thought about playing Jazz guitar and never really got around to it. I play a bit of Blues and Classic Rock , but want to branch out into Jazz. Can you guys suggest a great book for learning Jazz Guitar. I need it to be really coming as a raw beginner.

Thanks
    D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

do you read music ?

If yes , "the advancing guitarist" Mick Goodrick is excellent and not only for jazz music, it's great to understand a lot of music and guitar.

I spent many, many hours working with this book.

Hi and thanks No sadly I don't. I am learning to play Sax and am just starting to read music. I'm at a very basic stage at the moment

User Info Menu

Many years ago, when I had the same interest as you, I purchased a two-volume set of instructional books, "Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar." Many of my peers considered this to be the ultimate guide to learning jazz guitar. It's not frilly, and it was written in the 1950s, so its style is a bit dated. But holy cow, the depth of information is incredible! Fortunately, there is now an online version in addition to the books on Amazon.

Book (Vol. 1): Amazon.com
    Online: Mickey Baker

User Info Menu

There's no question being able to read music is of great benefit. On the other hand, it may have a hidden value insofar as it makes you use your ears more. If you can't read it then you have to listen. And, trust me, that's something many reading players fall short of, myself included.

Not that I'm encouraging you to disregard reading music, you understand :-)

User Info Menu

If you go with the Mickey Baker book there is also a website that can guide you through and explain what’s happening.

Mickey Baker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kluson
    Hi All

I thought about playing Jazz guitar and never really got around to it. I play a bit of Blues and Classic Rock , but want to branch out into Jazz. Can you guys suggest a great book for learning Jazz Guitar. I need it to be really coming as a raw beginner.

Thanks
    D
    May I suggest a different path then a book. Below are some very common grips for jazz guitar. Most likely these are unfamiliar to blues and rock players. Try and play these chord shapes to the song Autumn Leaves. (also attached below.) Learn how to read music and learn the melody. Play some chords play some melody. Keep working on this tune till you get very comfortable with it before moving to another jazz standard.

There are about 1,000 videos on YouTube demonstrating every facet of the tune Autumn Leaves in the key of G/Em.

Using this method you are "playing jazz" from the get go.

jazz chord voicing chart.pdf

autumn leaves real book.pdf

User Info Menu

Bakers book is ok but for heavens sake C13b5#9...enough to daunt anyone lol...headed to band in a box...dont look back

User Info Menu

I will send you these three books that will help you get started for $20 including shipping and paypal fees (two of the books have CD's included). PM me if interested

Just Starting Jazz Guitar-beginerjazz-jpg

User Info Menu

A Real Book, and a premium subscription to Spotify or YouTube music would be on my list...

User Info Menu

If it doesn't have to be a printed book, look for Greg O Rourkes Fret Dojo (he's an article contributor on this site too). His 30 day Jazz guitar course is an excellent introduction. Its a jazz blues introduction and leads into membership to his wider website for those who like it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

advice on band in a box buy some real tracks//all you need are drums bass piano..doors wide open......JGSOLOS in BB folder...200 songs...lots standards too..tabs and notation...wealth of playing there to keep you busy for years... tempo too fast on JAZZ guitar solos hit F5 reset all bars to your tempo ..not theres..SCALES ETC..ID RATHER SPEND TIME LEARNING SONG MELODIES......i cant think of an easier route to playing jazz...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    May I suggest a different path then a book. Below are some very common grips for jazz guitar. Most likely these are unfamiliar to blues and rock players. Try and play these chord shapes to the song Autumn Leaves. (also attached below.) Learn how to read music and learn the melody. Play some chords play some melody. Keep working on this tune till you get very comfortable with it before moving to another jazz standard.

There are about 1,000 videos on YouTube demonstrating every facet of the tune Autumn Leaves in the key of G/Em.

Using this method you are "playing jazz" from the get go.

jazz chord voicing chart.pdf

autumn leaves real book.pdf
    alltunes suggests the fastest and most solid jump start, in my view. If you would consider beginning in Bb (G minor), the other common key of the tune, I'd go to these two specific YouTube lessons on Autumn Leaves, both by Jens Larsen:

And for more versatility with chords:

After that, the Real Book is yours. That's the jump start.

Two other free Larsen videos on Autumn Leaves (one regarding pentatonic soloing and the other on chord melody) introduces one to the deep end of the pool.

-----------

Here's some inspiration for falling in love with the Standards. Just start simple and make it happen. Good luck! You'll make great sounds in no time.

Eva Cassidy's Autumn Leaves.

Last edited by mickeybones; 03-29-2022 at 03:45 PM.

User Info Menu

wow, didn't know Eva Cassidy, I like her voice a lot, excellent.

User Info Menu

Eva Cassidy was my late wife's favorite artist (aside from the group Journey; go figure). Living in the D. C. area, Cassidy was a fan fave (she won a WAMMIE, the Washington Music Awards equivalent of a GRAMMIE), but never quite found a broader audience. Sadly, she died of a melanoma in 1996.

Here's a good Wikipedia write-up on her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    Eva Cassidy was my late wife's favorite artist (aside from the group Journey; go figure). Living in the D. C. area, Cassidy was a fan fave (she won a WAMMIE, the Washington Music Awards equivalent of a GRAMMIE), but never quite found a broader audience. Sadly, she died of a melanoma in 1996.

Here's a good Wikipedia write-up on her.
    I only came across her when doing the exercise I suggested to the OP and I was listening to a bunch of versions of Autumn Leaves on Spotify. It was like hearing Ella Fitzgerald or Karen Carpenter for the first time.

User Info Menu

This free book from the same site as this forum was what helped me finally get going after many false starts. I found that there was too much info out there on the net and I jumped about too much without really getting anywhere.

I've a bound print out of the pdf in front of me right now as it happens, practicing chord shapes this morning.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/blog/jazz-...for-beginners/

The book follows the same advice as above posts, autumn leaves is heavily used as a learning vehicle.

I work with the pdf on my phone so I can play the audio examples, and same pdf printed out in front of me for ease of reading.

As for autumn leaves itself, what a beautiful song, my favourite version is Eric Clapton's.

Be wary of Jens larsen. His teaching material is spot on, but a 10 minute you tube video contains many days worth of practice, and he puts out so many videos that following him can feel overwhelming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    Be wary of Jens larsen. His teaching material is spot on, but a 10 minute you tube video contains many days worth of practice, and he puts out so many videos that following him can feel overwhelming.
    If his youtube videos are intimidating he has a really great course here : Jazz Guitar Roadmap Invitation

User Info Menu

I believe it is a trap to get too involved in these online videos. Nothing beats sitting down with your guitar and lead sheet and figuring out the stuff for yourself THEN seek out tidbits from the “gurus”. A true beginner might need some basic jazz grips like the ones I posted above.

It is all about learning standards you love.

Jens is a great player and instructor but he is far too verbose for me and his video editing is too chaotic.

Robin Nolan and Chris Whiteman are two of my favorites in this regard. Their videos are short sweet and to the point.

User Info Menu

Here we go again... about once a month, someone posts this question and gets 100 different recommendations. So here's mine: this is not about the book you pick or the website you visit. Instead of teaching yourself a bunch of bad habits that you will have to unlearn later, and becoming mightily frustrated in the process, take private lessons with a good jazz teacher from the get-go. That person will inspire you and guide you, saving you a lot of wrong turns.

Also, you might want to consider digging one well deep, for now. Pick sax or guitar , and put all your effort into mastering one instead of putting half the effort into getting mediocre at both.

Otherwise, yeah, all the recomendations in this thread thus far are worthy of your consideration.

$0.02,

SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    ..... Instead of teaching yourself a bunch of bad habits that you will have to unlearn later, and becoming mightily frustrated in the process, take private lessons with a good jazz teacher from the get-go. That person will inspire you and guide you, saving you a lot of wrong turns.
    SJ
    Yeh but then u don't get the satisfaction of bragging about how you're entirely self taught, can't read music, never had a lesson, blah blah blah.

'Bad habits', are the way to go and will make ur playing distinctive and your own.

Whenever I've been to a jazz gig and felt compelled to have a chat with one of the players due to how nice they play, I invariably find that they are self taught.

Plus I ain't forking out x amount of pounds or dollars for lessons when its all there for you for free, u just need to find it. Through a trial and error process you realise what's bullshit and what isn't and I reckon that when the penny drops, it drops much better than if u have had a teacher telling you what to do.

I say this not from my own experience, I've never had a lesson so don't know anything about the teaching industry, but I've a few friends who have tried learning an instrument with lessons and given up due to frustration with their teacher.

User Info Menu

I say this not from my own experience, I've never had a lesson so don't know anything about the teaching industry, but I've a few friends who have tried learning an instrument with lessons and given up due to frustration with their teacher.
    Whaaat? If you have never had a lesson, how does that make you qualified to comment on the validity of study with a good teacher?

My own direct personal experience is that I got only so far as a self-taught musician. I started progressing a hell of a lot faster once I studied with some pros. I've also had some teachers who weren't so great. The operative distinction is good teacher.

Would you go to a doctor or dentist who was self-taught?

Ultimately, it is up to you to "teach yourself" how to do what the teacher has shown you. Study with a teacher is not a magic bullet. It's a map. If you have a particular destination in mind, you will get there faster and easier with a good map.

But everyone has their own path. You (or the OP) does not need to choose the path that works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Whaaat? If you have never had a lesson, how does that make you qualified to comment on the validity of study with a good teacher?

The operative distinction is good teacher.

Would you go to a doctor or dentist who was entirely self taught?.
    - No I can't make ultimate judgement as I've never taken a guitar lesson. I know many people who have taken lessons in guitar, violin and piano. All but one still plays, and he doesn't give a shit about the stuff his teacher gives him to play and is frustrated with it. He tries to bring stuff he likes to lessons but the teacher doesn't seem too interested in it so he is making no progress.

- yes a GOOD teacher is the operative. But how will a beginner know if their teacher is good or not? Find me a teacher who does not think that they are a good teacher and will blame the student for 'not listening or practicing' enough.

- doctors and dentists are different to musicians as music can't kill you. Do you only listen to music played by people that were not self taught?.

Plus the cost is prohibitive. A quick Google round my area reveals that id be paying more than £100 a month for a weekly lesson. A year of saving that cash up and uve got a top quality Gibson/ Fender etc under your fingers, which will bring you on greatly compared to a budget beginners guitar.

User Info Menu

- No I can't make ultimate judgement as I've never taken a guitar lesson. I know many people who have taken lessons in guitar, violin and piano. All but one still plays, and he doesn't give a shit about the stuff his teacher gives him to play and is frustrated with it. He tries to bring stuff he likes to lessons but the teacher doesn't seem too interested in it so he is making no progress.
    So, without saying whether this teacher is "good" or not, it seems clear that this particular teacher and this particular student are not a fit. That last friend of yours who still plays and has the frustrating relationship with the teacher should find a new teacher. The vast majority of my own private guitar teachers really did want to address my needs.

- yes a GOOD teacher is the operative. But how will a beginner know if their teacher is good or not? Find me a teacher who does not think that they are a good teacher and will blame the student for 'not listening or practicing' enough.
    Yes, there are some narcissistic folks out there. But the "good teacher" I'm talking about has a positive reputation among the music community (local or greater). People are coming to that person because what they are doing works. When the majority of students are succeeding and having a good time doing it, the "he said/she said" element is removed. So the person you want is the one that other people recommend. The teacher doesn't have to tell you that they think they are good because other people are already saying it for them. I have been lucky to study with a few folks whom I knew were right for me from the get-go. I liked their playing, I felt that I could understand what they were telling me, and I liked them personally.

- doctors and dentists are different to musicians as music can't kill you. Do you only listen to music played by people that were not self taught?
    No, I listen to a wide variety of music. And I am not saying that all self-taught musicians are without merit. I was simply suggesting that there is benefit and efficiency to learning from those who have traveled the road before you. I once had a teacher who characterized theory as "artificial talent." He would say that J.S. Bach didn't need theory - he had enough talent and focus to DEVISE the twelve-tone system that we all use. But most of us don't have that level of talent, so learning from the ones that do can help us progress faster.

TBH, very few skilled musicians are entirely self-taught. It is really common for players of a certain level of notoriety not to want to dilute their impact by admitting that they learned some things from someone else. But later on, maybe decades later, they start to admit that they studied with someone early on. I encourage you to research all of your truly favorite performers of national or international stature. You will find that the majority of them had some sort of music lessons. It is well known that Diz was the "teacher" of many of the bop players. Lennon and McCartney both learned music from their parents. Kreisberg went to U of Miami, DiMeola dropped out of Berklee, and Chick Corea studied at Julliard. Nobody is saying Chick Corea sucks because he is not entirely self-taught! But he took that music education and advanced the state of the jazz art, creating something new that nobody else had done... and, I daresay, ever will again.

That is the real thing I'm saying: there is a part of your musicality that is innately you and that you can't learn and that you can't teach to someone else. But there is also another part of music that can be learned, and IMO you should take advantage of every opportunity presented to you. We are ALL standing on the shoulders of Bach, Beethoven, the Romantic composers, the Impressionists, the beboppers of the 40s, the West Coast and Cool schools, the fusion pioneers and rock players of the 60s, EVH... you name it. Today's musicians have so many great traditions and styles and techniques available to them... including all that free stuff on YouTube! It is a LOT to sift through, so that "good teacher" can be a big help, if that's the way you want to go.

Plus the cost is prohibitive. A quick Google round my area reveals that id be paying more than £100 a month for a weekly lesson. A year of saving that cash up and uve got a top quality Gibson/ Fender etc under your fingers, which will bring you on greatly compared to a budget beginners guitar.
    Finances are a very personal thing, so I can't really comment. We all have choices to make. Consider that money can be made, but time cannot. The truly prohibitive cost might be the years you can't get back when you determine that a particular course of study - whether self-teaching or studying with the "wrong" teacher - isn't getting you where you want to go. You have to draw a balance between knowing when to keep at it and knowing when to try something new.

£100 a month does not sound "prohibitively high" to me. In my area (N. California) the cost to study with a pro musician is probably closer to £200 - 300/mo for a weekly one-hour private lesson. (My figures are probably low - I have not taken lessons in quite a while. Perhaps some other forum members can update these figures.) That would be the cost for an intermediate or advanced player (one who already plays well, knows a lot of tunes and has theory down cold) to study at a very high level with an established pro; the cost for a half-hour lesson or study of prerequisite skills with someone else would be less, probably more in the neighborhood of £100 a month.

To give you some context, over ten years ago I was paying around £250/month and driving 1.5 hours each way to take private lessons with a well-known national-act guitarist, and I felt very lucky just to have the opportunity to sit in a room with this guy and have him educate me. At that point I had already completed a university music degree, had decades of playing experience, and studies with other very strong players in the past. I was heavily invested in music, and I was willing to pay that much and work that hard. But if you are not that far into your musical journey, or the money is a barrier, or both, that may not be something you can do.

There are a LOT of REALLY good players on this forum. We don't always agree :-) But if cash is a barrier to private study, you can always go the YouTube route and reach out for advice here.

BTW, Jonathan Kreisberg (who is just a fantastic player) has unlimited video mini-lessons and PDFs on his website starting at $10/month (that's £7.63). Quite the deal.
    Last edited by starjasmine; 04-02-2022 at 10:33 PM.